1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flannel shirts?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by irnstad, Dec 31, 2009.

1. irnstad

irnstad Loaded Pockets

I grew up in Suburban America for most of my life, both coasts, and a lot of different cities. When fall and winter would come around, everyone would wear hoodies (sweatshirts) to stay warm, and then switch to jackets if it got really cold. I decided to attend university in West Virginia, where I discovered flannel shirts. WHY ISN'T EVERYONE WEARING THESE? I have never been warmer than when I am wearing a flannel shirt, I can find them for pretty low prices too, and they aren't as bulky as hoodies can sometimes be.

Seriously, if you have never owned a flannel shirt, buy one. It changed my life. I was able to buy two flannels for around 25 dollars today (total, not for each) and they are both very high quality.

2. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

I like flannel shirts, but have a hard time finding them in a good color combo. I Dont like bright colors, not many black and gray out there..

3. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I think it's a style issue. They were hugely popular back in the Grunge era, but not a lot since then. That said, I find them toasty, comfortable, and my wife likes to snuggle up to flannel's softness! :smitten:

I tend to use them when I need some warmth while doing physical/work-type/dirty activities. I don't know why exactly, it just feels appropriate.

4. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

I tend to wear insulated flannels to work. I haven't owned a "regular" non insulated one for quite a while.

5. irnstad

irnstad Loaded Pockets

6. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

Also, different companies use different materials to make their flannels. So some could be really thin and others could be thick and warm.

7. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I have always worn flannel shirts. They are warm and can be durable depending on the make.

8. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Good find there, but could wish it was a little darker...(have one I use from time to time thats fairly dark)

I had one for several years that was insulated an used it for work, very warm..

9. The Lost Bushman

The Lost Bushman Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, flannel has seen it's 15 minutes in the mass "popularity" spotlight, I've been wearing them since I was 8, insulated and uninsulated. It is a bit hard to find good quality ones anymore, but they're still out there. I do get the "Hey you look like the Tool Time guy" alot since I've grown my winter face-coat, but it's worth it.

10. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

It's kinda strange to hear people talking about flannel as if it's the 'New Thing'. I've worn flannel since I was a kid. Plain and lined. I even have flannel sheets for my bed for winter. Missouri winters can be quite cold. (it's 8 degrees this morning).

As Lost Bushman says, it's hard to find the really good thick flannel anymore. I live in Springfield Mo. though and we have the Bass Pro Shops headquarters. Every year My mother gets me one or two heavy duty flannel shirts from Redhead. They're comfortable, fit well and warm. Carhart also makes really nice flannel shirts. For cold weather, it doesn't get much better than flannel.

11. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Flannel sheets rock! It hasn't been too brutal up here in Idaho this year, but flannel sheets make it so much easier to get in. Unfortunately, they also make it harder to get out. Especially when shoveling the driveway is the day's first task.

12. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

for fall and winter flannel rules. a nice flannel shirt really takes the chill off and being able to roll up the sleeves or unbutton makes temperature regulation easier. Here's a link for unlined flannel shirts, look a bit for lined ones. These are nice shirts, heavy flannel.
    ON SALE

flannel shirts

13. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Lol, I'm the Flannel guy in my circle of friends. Seems like I'm always wearing at least one. They're Great for all the reasons already stated. Heck, I even got(another) one for Christmas.
    I like unlined/un-insulated versions because it just doesn't get that cold here in Florida but there are still times that a t-shirt just isn't appropriate.

14. Detox

Detox Loaded Pockets

If anyone has a Gabriel Brothers (Mainly factory 2nds of quality brand name items) around them they've got carhartt lined flannel shirt/jackets for 19.99. I've bought 2 over the last month and love them. They retail for 50 bucks at stores like bass pro and cabelas.

Got a LL Bean Flannel for xmas and love it. Highly reccommended although there are cheaper options out there.

15. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I like LL Bean flannel shirts and have a couple of them <at least I think it's flannel>. I still like 'em even though
    most of their clothing now is probably made in China. For years you couldn't beat LL Bean quality.

I have a pair of their hunter's Duck Shoes and years ago they would put new soles and heels on it for nothing,
    if you sent them back. But they don't do that anymore.

Does anyone put soles and heels on their shoes anymore, either? I think the cheap makers are putting shoe repair
    shops out of business. I don't even know if I have a pair of shoes that can have the soles and heels replaced anymore.

Trends forecaster Gerald Celente predicts a move back to quality (non-disposable?) products because of the economic downturn.
    Let's hope so.

16. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Mister Scribble: Buy up the price range. Many, many, of the shoes in the higher price ranges still rely on cobblers: Stacy Adams, Alden, Allen Edmonds... heck, even decently priced Red Wings could use the services of a good cobbler.

I usually get my flannels from Cabela's discounts. They have discounts right now on their logger flannels for less than $20 a piece.

17. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

I like wearing flannel (a.k.a lumber jacket) around the house during these cold winter months. Currently I have a Dickies brand with snap buttons and quilted lining. The lining is good because it slides right off your arms. I tried a non-lined shirt and it kinda sticks on you and it left fuzzy stuff on my shirt. I like the classic red/black pattern.Up here in Canada we call 'em Muskoka Dinner Jackets !

18. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I like the lined flannel shirt 'jackets' with hoods. I got one for christmas awhile back and it was so comfortable I'd wear it around my apt in the winter. I had a basement apartment and it was pretty chilly, but I was comfortable. The old one finally fell apart, I need to get a new one.

19. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I will have to check out your good advice, thanks.

Yes, I have been a cheapie the past few years, for economic and other reasons.

Being very short and thin, I'm also tough to fit, for clothes and shoes. I have a small foot and wind up mostly getting kids' sized shoes.
    But they usually also aren't made to last the way a lot of adult sizes are.

I like Cabelas--will see if I can find something that fits.

Now, if I had been a soldier in Napoleon's army, I'd fit right in. I've read that the average height of his
    soldiers was five-feet tall, believe it or not. Or so I have read.

Or maybe I'm a gray alien in disguise.

:p

20. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the grunge era is what killed it for those of us who have been wearing them all our lives. The likes of Nirvana meant flannels were $50 at Abercrombie. Ugh!!! You can still get them for a good deal at LL Bean. I recently bought one at Gander Mountain. If you want an even warmer shirt try getting a chamois shirt.