1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fixed blade carry Social Experiment

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by gpgriz, Mar 4, 2014.

1. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

So I've decided to do a bit of low key social experiment regarding fixed blade carry.

I started today. And I think I'll go for a week.

I'm carrying a Grohmann knife in a sheath with a flap.
    [​IMG]

It's at 4 o'clock and behind my leatherman sheath.

I'm curious to see what (if any) comments I get on it.

Now I'm in Grande Prairie, Alberta and always carry at least a leatherman sheath and I work in the Forestry industry. I don't actually expect to get much comment...

Leaving for work today, neither my wife or kids commented on it. But they know about Dad... ;)

Will update when/if something interesting happens.

2. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

Not terribly interesting... but an update none-the-less.

I went to a meeting at the other Forestry office this morning and wandered around the office for a bit => not comments or looks of any sort.

I went to the dollar store and WalMart during lunch; but my jacket likely covered it too much => no response.

Back at my own office after lunch and one of my hunting partner co-workers jokingly asked if I was back into hunting season => i lol'd and said it was for my apple ;)

Gilatabar, Templar and BubbaFett like this.
  3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is a pretty knife, in a nice leather case. I doubt you'll get negative/odd responses, because a nice knife in a nice sheath doesn't scream " I'm crazy! Will stab at thee if angry!!"

If I carry the BK11, it is in kydex @ 9, tip up and blade pointed back. Sometimes I get funny stares. It is wrapped in bright orange stripped paracord to make it less scary.

4. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Nice knife. Honestly I don't see much coming of it unless you take it out of the sheath. The average Joe is oblivious to what is going on around them thanks to phones, mp3 players and just a general false sense of security or self-awareness. You would be surprised how many people don't notice people open carrying firearms until its pointed out to them.

Gilatabar and gpgriz like this.
  5. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

It's been my experience that the closer a blade looks like a typical kitchen paring knife, the fewer comments it gets. I find it interesting to watch people crowd around product demos that hand out free gifts, you guessed it, cheap paring knives. It's a nice traditional pattern knife you have. I might be tempted to edc the mora I have on order

6. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

So yesterday, in the field, it was covered by my boreal shirt and I had a small axe on my outside belt too.
    And the other guys had axes and chainsaws... so nothing interesting there.

This morning, i had a Chiropractor appt. I put my belt tools and pocket stuff on the side table designated for such things.
    [​IMG]
    Zero comments from the chiro or the assistant.

Still wearing it around today at the office too.

Will update when/if anything else happens.

Gilatabar and vegassprky like this.
  7. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

Well... that's a week.
    Only new report is that i had it on when i went to the dentist yesterday afternoon.
    Neither the dentist or assistant commented or made any noticeable looks.

So ya. When summer comes and i don't need a jacket. I'll try again.
    But maybe i don't need to... Maybe i've shown that in my neck of the wood, carrying this knife isn't a big deal.

cheers!

Gilatabar and vegassprky like this.
  8. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

It also says to me that you know how to "blend into the woodwork". Glimpses of your ensemble make the knife look like a natural part
    of your edc. Plus the local denizens are used to the forestry work look I bet. Now go out Saturday night in a sportin' outfit, I bet you may encounter some alternate reactions.

9. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most people don't notice thing like we do. They don't have any SA to speak of I just think no one notice it IMO. I bet if you get some liberal that sees your knife they would probably call the police

Gilatabar, gpgriz and RoadWizard like this.
  10. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Mm, true. I always notice exposed edc. Many times I will give a favorable passing comment as well.

11. RoadWizard

RoadWizard Loaded Pockets

@gpgriz
    Yes, I'm waiting for the post to begin with, "Well, after posting bond..." ;)

Gilatabar likes this.
  12. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

S'funny, my next door neighbours said they almost called the police the first time they saw me playing with my swords in my backyard. Completely overlooking, of course, all the times he is out with a chainsaw or an axe or an unguarded line cutter. Biggest danger from my swords is to myself. Anyone comes within 20 metres when I am practicing and they get instantly sheathed. People, huh! :rolleyes_revamped:

13. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

Hahahaaa!!! No doubt ;)

Gilatabar and RoadWizard like this.
  14. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Loaded Pockets

I doubt that there will be any legal troubles. Canadian law says a knife is a tool. Tools are perfectly legal. Once a tool is used as a weapon, well, then it is time for a lawyer. Of course there is no explaining the law to a citiot (city idiot), but a little common sense and stealth will have them blissfully oblivious.

I was once stopped by a young LEO on foot patrol in the downtown core. I was going camping and had to make a last minute stop to pickup some gear at the local outdoors store (why are so many of these stores located in the center of big cities, so far from the great outdoors?). The officer demanded to see my weapon, I told him in a reasonably loud voice that I didn't have a weapon. He pointed to my belt sheath and said "That knife there!". I didn't move and loudly said "I'm sorry officer, I don't have a weapon. But if the officer would like to inspect my tool, I'd be happy to comply and pull it out for him". It was amusing to watch him turn red as he ran through the various interpretations of that, knowing that every passerby had heard me. Before he could formulate his next demand, his senior partner arrived chuckling and we ended up having a nice discussion about knives. His duty knife was a SOG Trident Tanto.

Point being, knives are legal in Canada, until they are used as weapons. Yes, we have some restrictions, like no automatic knives, push daggers, or Bali-songs, but in general we have very little restriction.

Gilatabar, b00mhower, Kilted1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

In my experience a sheathed knife, be it a folder or fixed blade, will rarely get more than a passing glance in a rural or even sub-urban setting. It's only when you get into the inner city where people are trained to be afraid first and logical second (maybe) that you will have a problem.

A lot of it can be in your own comfort level too. If you're not used to it, you're going to be constantly aware of it's presence and your movements will draw subtle, unconscious attention to it from others. If it's a part of you from long habit then it becomes almost invisible.

I saw a guy this weekend at some store with a sheathed fixed blade on his belt. But it totally fit in with him as though there would be something wrong if he didn't have it. I only noticed it because I have a similar knife at home and was therefore curious. This guy was about 6'4" and 350 pounds, didn't really need a knife to do some damage if he wanted to. But if you saw him from the other side, you'd pretty much figure there was a knife there. It was unremarkable because of his body language, he was just out doing a little shopping.

Gilatabar and Grinch like this.
  16. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

I think as well the fact that it's in a sheath that completely hides the blade and handle helps appease the general public. Same knife in a kydex sheath would generate more interest I'd expect.

Gilatabar likes this.
  17. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

Keep it up!

Oh, and welcome to the club. ;)
    [​IMG]

Gilatabar likes this.
  18. nermol

nermol Empty Pockets

JerryD, what blade is that?

Gilatabar and JerryD like this.
  19. Stevedave

Stevedave Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I carry my BHKs often. Most of the time I can position the lower part of my sheath in my front pocket so it isn't as noticeable. Honestly I'm in farming country in PA most of the time but we have some big towns I visit frequently. No one has ever mentioned it to me. My Brumby Lite is the largest I've carried when shopping. I'll leave the Woodsman Pro in the car and rely on my backup blade.

Gilatabar and JerryD like this.
  20. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

It's a Magua from TM Hunt custom knives. There is another member who has one in orange and black G10.

Gilatabar likes this.