1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Zippo Slim Questions

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jlomein, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Picked up a Zippo Slim (street chrome). Noticed that if I shake it lightly side to side while closed, the lid will shake and make noise. Also notice the chimney has a lot of scratches on both sides from the lid grinding against it while opening and closing.

Are both of these things normal? Still have a chance to exchange it right now.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

it's normal for all zippos once used. the hinge will loosen up, and the top will be more or less loose. the "chimney" will get scratched up from the top opening and closing. if it's brand new, you really shouldn't have those issues.

jlomein and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

One minor 'tweak' you can do is simply squeeze the sides of the chimney -- just a bit, so that they no longer rubs against the sides of the top.

jlomein likes this.
  4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

They all end up that way. Just keep using it and you'll forget it's even doing it.

jlomein and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wouldn't stress myself out over it if I were you. If it really bothers you, exchange it or send it to Zippo and have it fixed. If you're not a perfectionist, they do all end up that way and it's not the end of the world. Just use it, put some good memories into those scratches and make the lighter your companion- then you start to realize that it isn't perfect, but all of the imperfections tell a story. Like scars on a human body, every scratch on a Zippo has a story, a place and a time that it happened.
    It's character :)

6. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

i've been enjoying using it now, but I'm worried about getting a butane insert. The current oil fuel chimney is now heavily and deeply scratched up from 1 week of use. The "chimney" on the butane insert looks to be made of some cheap material with chrome paint/plating. It will likely be scratched badly.

[​IMG]

7. thatotherguy

I am of the opinion that if it gets scratched, it gets scratched. It's just cosmetic wear. If you want a butane insert buy one and don't worry about the wear.

8. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's just a basic lighter,, nothing special,,, get over it. Anybody can buy a new lighter without the patina of wear,,,,Zippos will get scratched and dented and then they look perfect

9. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Loaded Pockets

If you are a smoker, the butane insert will only last 1-2 months. If you just use it occasionally, then it should last significantly longer. The insert is not for daily use unfortunately.

10. peak_oil

peak_oil Loaded Pockets

Zippos are about reliability and longevity. I have one that has been my EDC off and on for 25 years. It's all scratched up and has a dent or two in it, but every time I need it to make a flame it has done the job. I have had countless disposable Bics, other no-name-brand disposable butane lighters, three Coleman piezo refillable butane candle lighters, two Coleman refillable butane with the flexible neck, one or two other piezo lighters that I can't call to mind right now but which looked really nice in the display case, and that one Zippo. I finally bought another Zippo from Wal*Mart for $9.88 to put on the mantle for lighting my wood stove, but my original is still going strong.

Every other lighter I've ever owned has failed at some point. Every single one. Zippo also has an unlimited guarantee that they will return the product to functional for free forever. You mail it in, they mail it back, and it will produce a flame for you again. No other company has that kind of confidence in their product.

My one suggestion for any Zippo carrier is to cut a piece out of a bicycle inner tube that will fit snugly around the lighter, and to use that over the seam between the body and the lid. This helps with fluid leakage while it's in your pocket. That fluid can give you a chemical burn if enough leaks out on to your leg.

I have to disagree with boyo17, Zippos are something special. They are basic and utilitarian, but their durability and long service life is maybe unique.

thatotherguy and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

You can always spread the sides of the lid just a tad, so it clears the chimneys better.:cool:
    (I do it with a pair of small needle nose pliers inserted into the case/lid, and open the pliers to fles the sides apart... DON"T bend it out till you can see a difference... just flex it out slightly, check the fit, repeat etc... should only have to move both sides a combined 0.001" or less to provide some clearance)

12. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

+1 to that ^^^^^^^^^^

I have one thats been in general use for 62 years. (chrome, over a steel case instead of brass, made in the brass shortage of the Korean war, in 1952.)

[​IMG]

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I have my Father in Law's 1949 Zippo. Probably England then Korea after that. POW in PI.

AK Adventurer and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  14. thatotherguy

I have an uncle's 1959 Zippo- I wish that I knew the story behind it. I found it in his tackle box after he passed.
    There's a testament to longevity here- the insert was pretty trashy (he probably ran it on dirty fuel, it was VERY gunked up and the cam was worn out from use), the finish is scratched and the hinge was pretty loose but, you know what? If I had cleaned the thing out, replaced the innards of the insert and put a new flint in there, I guarantee it would have worked.
    Instead I sent it to Zippo with a couple other beat up lighters. All three came back in perfectly workable condition- on the '59 they replaced the hinge completely, seemingly gave the outside a once-over cleaning and gave me a new insert.
    I carry that lighter on special occasions, but I switch out the insert for the one from my EDC lighter- it just doesn't look or feel right using an old, worn lighter that has dozens of stories to tell with a new, scratch free insert :cool:

15. Fencedog75

Fencedog75 Loaded Pockets

I collect playing cards, so naturally my Zippo is chrome over brass with the suits (spades, hearts, clubs, diamonds) enameled on the outside. Those wore off so I etched them into the case with a scratch awl. It looked pretty good for a while, until it fell out of my breast pocket as I was bending over the fire I had just lit. Now it's a little...heat treated. I replaced the innards with a butane insert after that. I understand the idea of having a nice clean brand new looking tool ('cause that's what a Zippo is after all). If you put your tools away clean every time, and keep them looking nice and well maintained, it shows that you care about them and expect they will last a long time. My take on it,however, is that dents, dings, scratches, bumps, bruises, and scars, (yes, even "heat treatment") add character. They all tell a story.

thatotherguy likes this.