1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First World Knife Problems

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BLJace, Dec 17, 2019.

1. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

So, i just got a new Kershaw Launch 4. It's a springy little thing and i can see why everyone loves it, myself included. It's not my first of the launch series I also have a launch 5 which I've also really enjoyed. Today was my first day of carrying the launch 4 and I was excited to give it a run in a warehouse environment. The blade shape and size are perfect. It fit right in my coin pocket nice and secure, and performed flawlessly as i had hoped.

However... there's always a however right?

I had left the knife i normally carry in my coin pocket at home; a dragonfly. I already seem to be the "knife" guy at work because I carry two or three each day. No reason, just like to have them. Pocket space is limited though.

The smaller knife I carry is usually what I work with, it's not as intimidating as pulling out the launch 5, or a manix2. Every time I reached for the launch 4 though, I wasn't disappointed. I missed the dragonfly though. By no means did this new kershaw let me down. I'm happy to have it as part of my collection. It did everything the dragonfly could do, just as easily. It wasn't a dragonfly though.

Is this just me being a snob? or can you really become attached to certain styles of knives?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

You like what you like. You don't always like what you would prefer to like, or what you expect to like. But as you say; these are first world problems.

That said, you might learn to like it if you give it some more time. It can take some time to get acquainted and understand that different can be just as good when you adapt to the differences and teach your brain that different is the new normal.

BLJace and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Well, you can't properly call yourself a steel snob, since most of the Dragonflies were made from VG-10 while the Launch 4 is CPM 154 which is considered to be the superior blade steel.

It sounds more like you're used to having the spidy in your 5th pocket and now there was something else in there.
    Give it a few days and carry the Manix2 as the larger knife, so everytime you miss the Dragonfly, just stick your thumb into the Manix' hole and wait until the feeling subsides.

Moshe ben David and BLJace like this.
  4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I sure as heck am attached to certain styles of knives! It doesn't mean that other knives are wrong, but they may not be as right for me.

5. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

I do enjoy the spydie hole.

I can't even pinpoint what feels off about carrying it. I believe chaosmagnet and aicolainen
    are right and some knives just don't fit some people. Still love the knife though.

el_murdoque and chaosmagnet like this.
  6. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

As a few here probably know by now, I’m a Victorinox nut and that’s no lie.

Personally I cannot see the attraction with Spyderco knives. They fall into the same visual category as the so-called “tactical” pieces as far as I’m concerned.

I love Mora, my Eka, my traditionals and so on.

Just cannot get on with anything Spydie apart from their amazing Sharpmaker.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I think what a lot of people forget about is muscle memory, your hand, wrist and forearm muscles are expecting the dragonfly. It will take those muscles a little while to get used to holding something different. It's kind of the same thing as carrying an axis lock knife for a couple weeks and then switching to a frame lock, your brain knows it is a different knife, but those muscles are sort of programmed for the axis. Another example would be jumping into a car with a floor shifter after driving a truck with a column shifter, drive one or the other for a few days and see if you don't "accidentally" reach for a shifter that isn't there...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

To me most Spyderco knives are fugly, especially the ones witht he big spyderhole.

Still the Caly3 is the most ergonomic (and sharpest) folding knife I ever handled.
    It just acts like a part of my hand when I have to do rather complicated cutting.
    (I'm an Orthopedic Shoemaker and one part of my job is to cut off foam or gum soles for shoe lift elevation)

9. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

This is very true.
    I usually buy a knife after some kind of selection process and a lot of pondering, but the true selection process starts once I have it at home.
    Whenever possible, I buy that knife 'used'. There is kind of a community in my neck of the woods where people buy and sell knifes without really using them, so there is always a choice of mint condition ones. I will fidget around with the new one for a time and see if the ergonomics fit with what I had in mind. Once that test is passed, I will carry it for a time, but try not to use it for heavy duty to see how it feels in real life situations. Only when that test is passed, It'll become 'my' knife.
    Whenever it fails one of the testing periods, I'll just sell or trade it off.

I recently acquired a Hinderer Slippy, which is a great knife in so many regards. I desperately wanted that one to be my #1. Pulling it from my pocket and flicking out the blade is the greatest feeling ever (as long as we're strictly talking 'knife feelings'). But we're somehow not meant for each other and that knife will have to go. Luckily, I figured that out before I used it to pry open strongboxes and it still is in pristine condition so I can expect to see my investment returned.