1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First time gun buyer looking for 9mm suggestions

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mayran, Jan 24, 2011.

1. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Can't happen if you do it right with the right holster. Sometimes you make the threat worse or add additional problem, by having your gun on show. That said whatever works for you is best for you.

2. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

Sure it can as the Oregon LEO(mentioned previously) found out.
    I had the shock cord from my rain coat get in the holster,the holster was designed for the Glock. That was back in the days where I believed the training of the time and did not take a quick look at the holster. Not looking may be fine with a 1911 type pistol,it may prove hazardous with a pistol like a Glock.

I will not try to change your mind,as you said I will do what works best for me. Do you carry a Glock daily?
    "Sometimes you make the threat worse, by having your gun on show"
    I don't understand what you are saying.

3. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Not every day but a good few days yes I do.

Is it possible the LEO didn't do it right?

Designed for a glock is not made or recommended by glock.

The right way is not just shoving it back in, you change your grip and use a specific technique to ensure there is nothing in the way. If there was something in the way that didn't clear then of course you would look down.

I still maintain done right it can't happen. It's probably born out by the statistics as I live in what often feels like and is frequently called a health and safety nanny state, the glock is the most common LEO weapon. Training and operationally we are taught never to look at the holster.

"Sometimes you make the threat worse, by having your gun on show"
    Here are a few examples
    If the situation changes and the potential threat remains unanaware that you are armed then being able to maintain the element of surprise is a valuable weapon.
    In a confusing or active shooter situation there is a very real chance that other responding units may engage non uniformed armed LEOs by mistake.
    If the threat turns out to be non lethal or changes to non lethal I need to transition away from a firearm ASAP as the biggest threat is from my own weapon.

4. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

I would not recommend the Ruger but this recommendation is only from one outing with the gun. My friend and his wife both bought the P95 and we took them to the range along with many of my other guns. My friends gun jammed/ miss-feed twice and his wifes gun jammed/ miss-feed 5 times. This was with Winchester ball ammo and this was the first time both guns were shot but I have never had a gun jam/ miss-feed that much. I had three other semi-autos shooting the exact same ammo and none of them had any problems.

Now on to the Glock debate. I would first like to start out by saying I own one but it's not because I like the gun. I only bought it to make an educated opinion after shooting it instead of taking everything people as truth. The gun shoots good and fits well in my medium sized hands. It is a G17 and would be too large to carry in my opinion. I can easily see what people are refering to when they talk about the safety. I personally think the gun is safe but only if used by a seasoned gun owner. It is not a gun that should be owned by a beginner just learning to shoot but that is just my opinion. Any safety can be deactivated by a child but the Glocks is very easy anlong with many other manufactures. The trigger safety is normally everyones concern and should be honestly but again, that is just my opinion.

You might like the SW 9mm guns.

My best advice is to handle as many guns as possible and pick the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands. If it does not feel comfortable in your hands, you will not be comfortable shooting it.

The comment about purchasing a .22 as your first gun is something I somewhat agree. I do love shooting my .22 because it's cheap, has no recoil and can drive tac's but you should still own a larger caliber gun as well. I would recommend that you get a .22 at some point just for the fun factor.

Just be safe and be a responsible gun owner.

5. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

I don't see the need for a speed reholster,I can always go to SUL and asses the situation before reholstering.

6. BhmJeep

BhmJeep Empty Pockets

I shoot pistols in competition (USPSA/IDPA) and have seen a lot of different platforms. Far and away pistol that combines reliability with accuracy is the Glocks. They rarely break and when they do, parts are cheap and there are probably 4 times as many Glock gunsmiths out there than any other make (sound wrong doesn't it...). Used Glock 17s are everywhere and usually less than $400.

First thing you want out of a handgun (or any weapon for that matter) is does it feel good to YOU. Everyone's hands are different so the perfect gun for 500 people may be totally useless to you if it does not fit you.

Second thing is get to a NRA intro pistol class to learn safety. I think they are like $40. Well worth it.

Last is practice, practice, practice to get comfortable with whatever you choose. You will want to be very very familiar with your gun if you ever have to use it. (Another plus for Glocks, simple, point, pull, bang, everytime, no external safeties to worry with...)

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Mike

7. lefty556

lefty556 Loaded Pockets

Hard to beat a 9MM Glock. Keep your eyes open. Occasionally you'll find a police trade in for about $400.

8. colubrid

colubrid Loaded Pockets

Glock 19 all the way

9. stark

stark Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup:

10. keith6

keith6 Loaded Pockets

I had a 9mm Browning high power and while a nice gun I just did not like the weight. I sold it and bought a Glock 19 9mm and love this gun.

11. Goju

Goju Loaded Pockets

There has been a lot of good advice offered. I too think you should shoot as many platforms as you can (that are realistically in your price range). Personal ergonomic likes / dislikes will be huge in selecting a handgun you will be satisfied with. If you have small / medium sized hands, excellent guns like Beretta 92's or CZ 75's will most likely not be comfortable at all. At your price point, your best bet is a used piece, specifically a LEO trade in. While exhibiting holster wear, these guns will have a lot of service left, and will have been maintained by trained department armorers. I would not discount considering S&W revolvers; as far as semi autos go I think a Glock 19 is tough to beat. Another really good option, IMO, is getting a used Sig 225 - which can be had in the $350 range. Granted it is a single stack with an 8 rnd mag, but it is sized appropriately for concealed carry - if you get to that point.

After you make your purchase, take a training class with a qualified instructor!

12. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

I would say that a new gun user needs to think about several things. For example I have had several Glocks but I personally don't like how they "feel" in my hand. I also don't like the natural point of them.

Now before Glock lover starts flaming me..I do think they are great guns just not for me.

New gun owners need to know what Natural Point really is. Google it and understand it when you are at your gun store. Pick up several guns and see what feels good in your hand and what gun has the best natural point for you.

I have taught gun safety and even taught concealed carry classes and practice is one of the most important parts of ownership. The top being how you store your weapons. What you do with your gun when it isn't on your person is more important than how you carry it. You said you have a wife and child well that is something you have to plan for. I have a gun safe that is larger than my fridge and all my guns but one is in their locked up. I do have a pistol that I can get to but I don't have kids in my house and when I do my pistol is locked up.

You need to practice so much that handling and shooting your gun becomes second nature. This can take thousands of rounds and and you need to continually practice.

When I was shooting in competitions I shot almost everyday. I still shoot and when I do I take several handguns including my 22's. I warm up with the 22's because of two things. Cost per shot and accuracy. Once I feel like I have gotten into the "grove" I break out the larger calibers.

So you need to find a gun that "fits" you and practice with it and that includes safety. You need to find a round that fits the gun and how you shoot, you need to think of how you are going to carry the gun if you get your CWP.

Do a lot of research before buying a gun and you will be rewarded with a gun that you will keep and use. I have a lot of friends that ran out and bought a pistol for all the wrong reasons and most of those people hardly ever take the gun out of the case.

Heck most of them were the one's laughing at me when I would go to the range with my 22's and none of them laughed at me once they witnessed me shooting. Big calibers are great but if you can't hit a target with it than it is just an emergency waiting to happen.

13. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

14. dairycreek

dairycreek Empty Pockets

Just give the line of handguns made by CZ a close, close look. High quality at a reasonable price.

15. shao.fu.tzer

shao.fu.tzer Loaded Pockets

I'm sure it's been said... but... Skip the 9mm and go .45ACP

16. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

I agree. I have a couple of CZ pistols and rifles and I can say they are quality guns. My CZ 527 is one of the best shooting stock rifles I have and the single set trigger is top notch!

The funny thing is that 15 years ago CZ's were pretty expensive.

17. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

go ahead and spend a little more and buy a glock. used or new doesn't matter. the g19 is the one i would recommend since its a compact. its a perfect size, not to big or too small. you can conceal it fairly easy. for defense rounds go with federal hst. they are one of the best cheaper self defense hollow point rounds out there.

18. Jprat881

Jprat881 Empty Pockets

FNP 9 or FNX 9... Probably in the $450-500 range but great gun and the take down on it is simple and fast. I have a thing against Taurus as I don't believe that their quality is very good but I've heard their pro line is better than their standard stuff. I love Sig Sauer but the price and weight of the gun is a bit much for me to CC. FNP is basically a Sig P226 polymer model and can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.

19. shao.fu.tzer

shao.fu.tzer Loaded Pockets

+1 on that... I also really like the XD-M 9...

20. ImaPoser

ImaPoser Loaded Pockets

I have a thing for 1911 style guns in 9mm(sorry purists). With my recent interest in edc and starting to do the what if...planning, I am considering picking up a couple of these for the wife and I. I think the simplicity and reliability of them may be enough to justify them over my current crop of STI's for a bail out situation.