1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First time buyer - revolvers a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by crwoody, Apr 30, 2021.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

My wife had shot many of my semi-autos and really didn't like to shoot any of them. The very first time she fired my Dan Wesson .357 4" DA revolver she started referring to it as 'her' pistol! In fact, she liked it so much she even decided to go get her CCW. I didn't have the heart to tell her she wouldn't be able to carry the DW for CCW. She doesn't know about the Python yet, and I think I'll keep it that way!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Along @Slipjoint comment, when I worked as an armed guard, my backup was a .380 semi auto, beyond 10 yds, it was worthless, the sights sucked and the recoil was horrible for a small gun, despite me having large hands

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

#22 egp, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

Again, cannot thank you guys enough for these responses.

A couple of you have made comments about lightweight, aluminum-framed revolvers being tough to shoot because of recoil. I had no idea until you guys mentioned it that the 638 wasn't steel framed. Knowing this has definitely turned me off of that particular gun. My only experience shooting a revolver was at a college buddy's house, and his pistol was a solid-stainless J-frame (I'm not sure of the model no). I felt like that gun had more recoil than I was used to, but I liked the light, single action trigger feel.

To be honest, until I am out of college and can get a feel for a number of guns in person, much of my inclination towards revolvers has to do with simply "thinking they're cool." However, I'm very much interested in keeping an open mind as I take protection of family, friends, and self seriously. Without getting political, I'm convinced by recent events that the world can be unpredictable, even for the average American citizen (leading to the ammo shortage, of course). I'll buy whatever gun feels best to shoot in my hands, not the one that looks the coolest.

Just out of curiosity since I am a total newbie, does the weight of the cylinder make revolvers noticeably more uncomfortable to carry? Do you prefer one over the other primarily on the basis of one being easier/more comfortable to conceal?

4. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Sure, but how many people carry a single action revolver concealed?

medic68 and MatBlack like this.
  5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

nm

Last edited by reppans, May 2, 2021
    #25 reppans, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  6. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

That was my point when I made the earlier "Wyatt Earp" comment.

kukla likes this.
  7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

With the right holster and belt, a couple ounces here and there are manageable.

8. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

I'll chip in that I've had 9mm's and 357's. Size versus size (sub compact, compact, full size) the flatter semi is easier to conceal (assuming body carry). If you plan to carry in bag, doesn't matter much.

If you want to get an idea of what it's like you can try and run a simple simulation. Get/borrow two full size or heavy duty size Leatherman multi tools with sheaths and a decent size flashlight and sheath (18650 or dual 123). Carry all side-by-side on your belt if you're planning on belt carry. The weight and size will approximate a subcompact/snub nose. (Each full size Leatherman runs between 9 to 12oz so 2 and the flashlight will be about the same bulk and weight as a SW M&P or a Ruger SP101.

9. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

J-frames are pretty easy to carry (ome of the reasons they have been so popular for so long). I have a S&W model 60 that weighs about 21 ounces. It's a very manageable weight with a good holster. You'll know its there, but it won't feel like a boat anchor.

As far as the cylinder width goes, its a *little* wider than a comparably sized auto, but not by much. And the rest of the gun is actually slimmer than a similar sized auto. This irregular shape means that revolvers tend to print less through your clothing than an automatic with a big slabby slide and grip.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe but there are plenty of tiny semi autos that are half as thick too and offer similar or greater capacity too.
    Again I can drop my LCP in any pocket and almost not feel it but the LCR which is crazy light too is just a lot less simple to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackknife likes this.
  11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

G26 all the way. It's chunky, but great accuracy and capacity.

Cobra 6 Actual, JN01 and kukla like this.
  12. JN01

JN01 Loaded Pockets

Revolvers and autos both have pros and cons. When choosing one, many factors are subjective. Get one of each, take your time getting to know them. Ultimately, whatever you personally can shoot most accurately should be your pick for a self-defense gun.

13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I can only say this; after 51 years of shooting handguns, I no longer own a semi auto. All my handguns are Smith and Wesson or Ruger revolvers with a few North American Arms .22 mini revolvers I carry.

I've had Colt, Beretta, Ruger, Glock, Browning, Smith and Wesson, Walther, semi's, and all of them jammed at one tome or another. Amor picky issues, or a weak round, or a dud primer. Something will stop it once in a while. I reached a point inline where I wanted as much reliability as I cold get. In that 51 years of shooing handguns, I NEVER has a malfunction from any revolver. Thisincludes weal rounds that I could actually hear were quieter than normal. I just checked to make sure the bullet cleared the bore. With a dud round, I just pull the trigger again.

I had one revolver that gave some trouble. It was over 30 years old, and was shot a lot. It was an all steel model 60 S&W. It had seen many thousands of rounds. It started to spit lead because it was out of time. It was went back to S&W, got an o overhaul and was back on service. My youngest son has it now, its o ver 40 years old with no problems.

You can leave a revolver sit neglected for a decade or two, and blow off the dust bunnies and shoot it fine. It has zero ammo sensitivity, and will work fine with all kinds of bullet shapes to include shot rounds and full wadcutters. No, it doesn't have the capacity of a semi, but most shootings are over in a few rounds, in a few seconds, at a few feet. The one time I had to actually use my carry piece. it was at about 3 feet and took two rounds. And that was with a .22.

Go to a range and rent some guns. Try pout a standard S&W J frame .38 and a K frame .38. Make up your own mind what you like and don't listen to the brand fan boys.

jag-engr, DCBman and EZDog like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Having had a LCP, and an LCR, and still owning the LCR, I can say that in my experience, the LCP was way harder to shoot accurately than the LCR. The LPC had terrible sights, very snappish recoil, and too small a grip for even my medium hands. The LCR had way better sights, was way easier to shoot with accuracy in spite of the double action trigger pull, that after 500 to 1,000 rounds smoothed out very nicely and was very manageable with a careful steady trigger pull.

No, it doesn't fit in a pants pocket as easy, but with an Uncle MIke's pocket holster, is still doable. With he high ride pancake holster that Ruger sells for it on the 'Shop Ruger' sight, it rides so light and comfortable that you can forget its there. And unlike the Ruger LCP, that had to go back to the factory after a fw boxes for massive failure to eject, they replaced the slide and barrel and it was better. Better, not perfect. But still snappy and hard to control in rapid fire. And to date, after about 2,000 rounds, it has never malfunctions tinned. Never.

I sent the LCP down the road after about 6 months. Didn't feel like trusting my life to it.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not my experience at all obviously.

So I was/am sufficiently impressed with the LCP in many ways to dedicate myself to being able to feel good enough about carrying mine with no apologies.
    So I set out to practice and develop the skills I need to feel confident with it in my pocket and I am as good with it I think AND I am more likely to have it with me because of its tiny stature more so than my LCR which I also dearly like.

My LCP has been flawless right out of the box for me and I am not overly concerned about that changing for no good reason.
    I am somewhat of an intuitive shooter too especially at close range and since I can hardly see well with glasses on or off really I am about the same with decent sights or not honestly.

If we all felt the same way about what we shoot and carry there might just be one gun?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 EZDog, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
  16. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

Terrible idea for a first-time buyer. It's best to learn proper, modern shooting fundamentals with a semi-auto handgun which is technically unavailable with a J-frame (or similar) revolver.

17. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

agree with above comment regarding a snub .38 spl as a first handgun purchase; imo, it's an intermediate's gun and certainly not something conducive to learning how to shoot properly, quite the opposite. not particular fan of learning on any service caliber pistol either. 4"-5" K or L frame 38/357, or other make equivalent would be my first choice along with a proven reliable .22 pistol in same length.

tl;dr... op, rent/ borrow a snub & run 25 rounds of whatever non +p defensive fodder you can turn up at 5-7 yds then post up after action report. if you're serious, run a cyclinder one-handed, strong & weak as well.

18. surgetek
    • +1 Supporter

surgetek Loaded Pockets

I have a 442 Airweight as my carry. It’s hard to shoot, it’s not fun to shoot, but it’s also not what it’s for. It’s for 5-7 yards and a chance to get the F out of dodge. I put 5 rounds down range when I go just to keep up. After that it goes back in my waistband.

Rent one. If you can shoot it effectively then give it a go. If not, get a semi and an assload of mags. You never know when you may have to go John Wick.

medic68 likes this.
  19. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

LOL!!:rofl:

Yeah, but you better have an ammo truck following you around everywhere!

Somebody should do a parody about the realities of the weight of the ammo that guy shoots in just one scene. Kenau Reeves' knees would be buckling and he'd be exhausted, crawling and dragging a 200lb sack of ammo on the ground behind him...and he'd STILL run out of ammo!!! LOL!

crwoody likes this.
  20. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

And THAT, boys and girls is exactly what is wrong with the shooting community; Hollywood.

Way too many people watch way too many Hollywood movies and are miles distant from the real world. Fantasy doesn't belong in choosing your daily carry firearm.