1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First time AR-15 Buyer...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Digi, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Digi

Digi Loaded Pockets

Howdy folks...

Backstory... I am looking into buying an AR15. I originally planned to buy a lower separate and then buy an upper... however after reading more in depth I've run into an issue. Due to BATF rules (which have been around apparently since '68) I cannot purchase a complete lower, let alone a stripped lower, because I am not 21. I am 19, and according to federal law, you can purchase long arms at 18, and pistols at 21. Here comes the issue:
    -----
    Question 18. T)'pe of Fireal'm(s): Check all boxes that apply. "Other"
    refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that arc not either handguns or
    long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as fireanns having a pistol grip that expel
    a shOlgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms.
    If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is
    still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they still arc
    "firearms" by definition. and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other
    firearms. See Section 92 I(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it
    unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any
    person undcr the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm. to include
    one rhat can only be made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun
    or riflc." it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21, Also, note
    that multiple sales forms arc not required for frames or receivers of any
    firearms, or pistol grip shotguns, since they are not "pistols or revolvers"
    under Section 923(g)(3)(a).
    -----

So to sum it up, I have to wait 1.5 years to purchase a complete lower... or I can buy a complete gun now. I'm going to be going with the complete gun option right now.

I want to order it online, and I am going to have it shipped to a local FFL who will do the transferring. I'm looking specifically at this:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_1062/products_id/77544

Which can be had for a little over $800 bucks. Here's the specs per MFG:

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/UpdatedTechSheets/MPCMSRPPRICING.pdf

It will be used primarily for HD/Truck Gun/Plinking.

If anyone has any suggestions for a similar type rifle (features wise), such as a Del-Ton of S&W M&P15, and can find me one cheaper online, I'd appreciate it. I want something within that $7-800 range, preferably on the lower end, but I don't want to buy a poor product either. That's why I wanted to go with the lower and upper separate, because I could purchase as I get the funds. Oh well...

Here's another option...

http://www.impactguns.com/sw-model-mp15-sport-811036-022188145663.aspx

Shoot the ever-living crap out of this gun, until my tax return comes in. Then purchase a new, higher quality upper for it. Keep this one as a spare. Thoughts?

Thank You

2. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Del-Ton's are quite good for the money. They are still cheap AR's though. Make sure you like cleaning... direct impingement makes for soft accurate shooting but boy do they dirty up fast. If you aren't a fastidious cleaner than shell out a few more bills for a piston driven gun. Buy the gun you want now. Upgrades can still be made, but it will save you some serious coin in the long run.

3. dmak

dmak Loaded Pockets

4. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

I picked up a new S&W M&P15 Sport for about $630 a few months ago. My first AR-15, and I am very happy with the purchase.

5. Digi

Digi Loaded Pockets

6. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

I want an M&P 15 Sport badly. :(

Saved up for one and ... wouldn't you know it... the family car needs new tires! Fuuuuhh!

7. Digi

Digi Loaded Pockets

Yep that's how it goes eh?

I want to just get the sport so I'll have the S&W lower... and then in the future when funds allow I'll get a better upper... May not be the best option there is but for the money it's what I'm thinking...

8. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

That's what I was planning. In stock form it's a great rifle. Ive heard nothing but good things about it..... well, there are the people that gripe about the lack of a fwd assist.

9. Digi

Digi Loaded Pockets

Yeah... same here... and dust cover... but I can deal with that for a while until I can upgrade... The other option I just saw was the CMMG Bargain Bin Rifles with some cosmetic issues... I just emailed them to see if they're still offering them or not.

10. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

11. tamaders

tamaders Loaded Pockets

S&W sport owner here also ... Great gun. I also bought a .22 conversion kit for it to make shooting it a little more cost affective and make the rifle more versatile for other shooters in my family.

I think I paid about $600 for the rifle and $150 for the conversion kit with 2 mags. Couldn't be happier with the entire package! Put about 300 rounds of .223 and 1500 rounds of .22 through the thing with hardly a hiccup.

12. Digi

Digi Loaded Pockets

Thank you!

I'm really leaning towards it, because then I can still use the lower further down the road... I was also looking at buying the S&W Lower separate as I have heard good things about them, so it would work out well for me to go this route.

And then I'm thinking a RRA upper later down the road.

13. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, the best quality AR under $1K is Spikes Tactical.

14. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

Go to your local walmart and see if they are one of the stores selling ARs. They have them priced very competitively.

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

The Wal-Mart by my home is selling a DPMS AR-15 for $587.

16. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Give Spikes a try you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

17. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

$669
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/753/products_id/411537957/Rifles/Doublestar/Doublestar Star 15 M4 16/quot; 6 Pos. Stock 5.56/

$659
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/753/products_id/411537958/Rifles/Doublestar/Doublestar Star 15 CAR 16/quot; HBAR 5.56/

I don't know anything about Wyndham and can only recommend weapons that I have personal experience with...
    Both of the above are quality AR's. Doublestar AR's are nicely built and would make excellent plinkers/truck/trunk guns.

I might recommend Palmetto State, but you're looking at 3 or 4 weeks to ship... I've been trying to call in an order for the last week.
    -No Answer
    -Full Voicemail
    If you had an issue with a purchase... good luck getting them on the phone.

I would also recommend the DPMS sportical at Walmart. DPMS is a great company and offers excellent customer service. (If you can afford it... get a dust cover and forward assist upper)

for $500:
    DPMS Sportical

For $600:
    Doublestar

For $700:
    Save your money

For $800:
    BCM

$900 and up will be variations on quality and ergonomics...

I bought the most expensive rifle I could afford and regretted the purchase.

If I had it to do all over... I would have bought a BASIC BASIC BASIC AR-15 and upgraded as needed.
    Save your tax return for ammo and training. Maintain your weapon.
    Do lots of research,
    Continue saving tax returns and when you turn 21, build that boutique AR:
    Noveske or Larue

If you're already thinking about resale value... than you should be looking at something else.

Unless the market is somehow flooded with inexpensive military Colts, a basic AR will always be worth the same (or more) on the secondary market. You have to look at weapon purchases as investments... I've never lost money selling guns. I lose something like 60% whenever I sell a knife.

Rant OVER

Last edited by b.s., Aug 8, 2012
  18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I bought my first AR-15 back around 2000 or 2001 during the ban. I got the only Colt A2 available in the United States as they were going through hard hard times. I got it for cost as I was doing web development for a fried who owned a shop. I got it for 3-gun, which was in it's infancy and matches were few and far between. I put about 15,000 rounds through it over the next year and a half. I learned two things in that time. First, you are severely limited with an A2 when it comes to optics so always get a flat top A4. Second, a 20" gun is too long to maneuver easily to shoot from a car, so go as short as you can.

Also, start buying magazines now.

On a side note, I sold that Colt HBAR A2 for $1500 and bought a Rock River Arms 16" A4 Varmint model with a heavy barrel. I sure could shoot that rifle fast, but it sure did get heavy after a while.

19. Digi

Digi Loaded Pockets

I like the Doublestar Flat Top HBAR... and I plan on ordering that, with a flip-down rear sight and some PMAG's as soon as my FFL gets back from Sturgis :p

20. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

Doublestars are pretty good AR-15s for the buck. Our sheriff's office uses Doublestar for their patrol rifles. Of course, it helps that they are made about 15 miles down the road in Winchester, KY and we got a good deal on them