1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Smart Phone, makes me feel like a dummy. Casio Commando...

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DBR, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

My fave was the old Motorola Star-Tac. Used that thing for ages. Then caught the smartphone bug. Couple Blackberries, the original Motorola Droid (that I loved). Then the iPhone 4. Liked it, and then the iPhone 5. Liked it until IOS 7 dropped. Hate it. Going back to an Android device.

2. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

That could be a picture looking down my street right now. And I remember the Mavica, too. Used one at work. Matter of fact, the USB floppy drive I had to get because the new computer they got me didn't have a floppy drive is still in a desk drawer. You never know.

3. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I had to get one, too! Or my Mavica would have been hopelessly dinosaured. The external USB floppy is like a walker for the old boy. :D

That pic up above, just to clarify, wasn't with a Mavica, but a five year old Casio Rock.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The Casio Commando looks pretty tough (for a smartphone). I don't understand why all smartphones are made so delicately. The first thing you have to do is purchase an expensive case to keep from destroying the phone you just bought. I would think an armored phone could be made much more compactly than a thin phone with an armor case.

FWIW, I'm an Apple man by default - I started using an iPhone because it was provided by my company. When I changed jobs and got my own smartphone, I stuck with the iPhone so I wouldn't have to learn a new phone. The iPhone works and I know how it works, but I think the proprietary chargers, lack of MicroSD slots, and functionality limits imposed by the operating system are ridiculous.

mole, DBR and powerring like this.
  5. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Agree on all counts.

6. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

You'll manage. You working a pc or whatever to post here on this forum don't ya? Live and learn DBR.:)

7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Not considering calculations, these things probably do a lot more than a regular home set up PC. Right out of the box, this thing is a racehorse, not a stubborn donkey. ;)

microbe likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's why I stuck with a smartphone when I had to buy my own - I used to carry a calculator, camera, and GPS with me when I left the office. Now, I have all three built into my cell phone! I don't get anywhere close to utilizing it's organizational capabilities and networking/syncing potential, but I'm completely okay with that.

DBR and kertap75 like this.