1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First "serious" EDC flashlight (P60)- need help

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by nitevision, Sep 28, 2013.

1. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you're going to go the P60 route, do some digging on CPF through the buy/sale threads. I don't know what the shipping is to Germany from the US, but somebody has already mentioned Nailbender for custom drop-ins. I'm a Malkoff junkie, but I don't know how much he charges to ship overseas.

Until you start to play with various P60 "pills" (drop-ins), you aren't going to really have a frame of reference to evaluate your need between "throw" and "spill" - so I wouldn't stress too much. The cheaper drop-in options are fine for tinkering, as long as you don't plan to seriously abuse them.

Good luck!

2. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Custom dropins by vinhnguyen54 are mostly high-end custom, super-extreme output, and/or special purpose (such as multicolor, mule, etc), but I believe he will ship internationally for just $5 extra ....

He will also customize driver, modes, and/or emitter, to pretty much anything physically possible. Excellent person to deal with, and now actually has his own subforum over on CPF.

Blerv likes this.
  3. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

Great suggestions from everyone. I went to the local electronics shop today and all they had were non-rechargeable C123s- What they DID have though, was a huge pile of AA and AAA-sized Eneloops with chargers. The other shop is closed till Friday.

Is it fine to run on C123s only, or should I invest in a rechargeable power source?

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Opinions differ wildly. Personally, I use non-rechargeable CR123s. I prefer the basic reliability and the "fire-and-forget" capability.

That said, a lot of people favor the rechargeables - so, it depends on you. And there's nothing wrong with going both ways - use rechargeable CR123s as your primary set of batteries, but keep a spare pack of non-rechargeable CR123s in your pack, just in case.

david57strat, Elian_BHZ and Nick4305 like this.
  5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is how I roll. Rechargeables first with primary backup. If I didn't use my light very much, maybe I'd just use primaries. By the end of the year, I will have saved enough money to have made up my initial investment.

6. Elian_BHZ

Elian_BHZ Loaded Pockets

I prefer rechargeable batteries. I have at least two cr123 primary batteries as backup. For EDC use there is nothing like 18650 rechargeable. The output and versatility are great

Enviado desde mi MB526 usando Tapatalk 2

7. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

If the drop in is capable of running a pair of 123s then it is fine.
    You will have to work out the cost/benefit ratio of rechargeables when you know how heavily you will use the light.

I keep primary cells in some lights that are stashed away and are not used often, like the glove compartment of my car. The light that I use many times a day has rechargeable batteries.

There are pros and cons to each since rechargeable batteries have lower capacities and lower shelf lives but can save a lot of money in a high use device.

Blerv and Elian_BHZ like this.
  8. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Remember you may not be able to run both primary and rechargeables 123s (or any li-ions) with the same drop-in, depending on it's minimum/maximum voltages.

Blerv, Elian_BHZ and tmedina like this.
  9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Ain't that the truth.

Please don't tell my wife I said "ain't".

Like Tmedina, I run cr123a primaries almost exclusively in my personal carry lights; and for the same reasons. I buy in bulk so the cost isn't outrageous. That said, there are AA and AAA lights around here and there, mostly in use by my wife and sons, and they all get Eneloops.

Now, many will argue for lithium ion rechargeables, and while they may save money, they waste time in that they are not as simple to use/maintain as say an Eneloop. I personally have better things to do than fuss with high maintenance, volatile, time consuming batteries. But hey, that's just me.

10. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Very few people match CR123's in multi-cell lights with a load tester. For that reason (personally) if it's more than 1 cell I prefer to go Eneloops. More realistically I just buy higher powered lights that use one large lithium (18650 or 26650) instead.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  11. T.H.Cone

I use a ZTS Multi-Battery Tester. Quick, fast, and dirty.;)

Is there even a difference between "quick" and "fast"?

Blerv likes this.
  12. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I've got a really cheap DMM and the Cottonpicker digital. If you have a ZTS you certainly aren't the folks who should be concerned, it's the ones that don't know what a ZTS is. ;)

T.H.Cone likes this.
  13. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I use rechargeable lithiums in some of mine, not because they're cheaper or greener, but for their higher voltages. They can increase the brightness dramatically in some flashlights (which I like :D). I use lithium primaries in the others though for their longer life and shelf life.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  14. T.H.Cone

While sort of on the expensive side, I really think it is money well spent if you use batteries more than the general public- which I'm sure most of you do. It is so barney basic that even a lazy guy like me is willing to invest the two seconds it takes to use. Also handy to have if, like me, you have a wife and kids who leave batteries here and there around the house but can never remember if they are still good pr not. It's like a battery Easter egg hunt around here.

Blerv likes this.
  15. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I have a cheap multi tester that works well enough, but usually come across a multimeter first.

[​IMG]

16. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

The L2r runs on AAs and with a Solarforce drop in, I've been happy with mine for several years now. Take out the guesswork, score yourself plenty of those Enloops and enjoy. It was my first non-pocket "serious" light as well and someone gave me this exact advice. I like CR123s ok for a light that sits on my nightstand and rarely gets use, knowing that the batteries will be ready to rock if I should ever need that light for its intended purpose, but for a light I use a lot, not as much.

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you want to run a "double AA" setup, get yourself a battery tube from Oveready. On my bedstand, next to my "bump in the dark" light, I have a Surefire G3 with an Oveready battery tube running 2 AAs and a M31LL.

I also have a Malkoff MD3, M31LL, high/low ring, and a battery tube for my "rummaging around in the dark, but don't want to blind the neighbors" light. :D