1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First semi $$$ watch?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by manofviolence, Jan 16, 2015.

1. manofviolence

manofviolence Loaded Pockets

Alright I'd thought I ask you guys your opinions on the first watch I should get around $200!
    I'm looking for automatic movement utilitarian type watch.
    Some of my top contenders are:

Seiko snzg15j1
    [​IMG]

Seiko skx007k
    [​IMG]

Seiko srp307
    [​IMG]

I'm also open to suggestions, just into the diver/military/utilitarian look. I'd like to buy just one, and I know it's a slippery slope went through(still going through) this with pocket knifes haha.

2. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

The 007 is definitely a classic and has a huge following. It can be dressed up or down just by changing the strap. They are also on sale now for $119 with a coupon code - sorry I don't think I can mention the vendor. But a quick search should find it.

The Seiko snzg15j1 is a little too plain for me, and I absolutely need a rotating bezel.

The new Monsters (and old) also have huge followings are definitely unique, plus the new one have a hacking movement. I have the older style with different indices (both black and orange) and love them more so than my 007 because of its uniqueness.

If you are going to get just one (which will be your first of many), I say go with the 007 on a bracelet since a rubber stap or nato can be had cheaply increasing its versatility.

3. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

I would go with the srp307 out of the choices that you list. I have a srp309 that I have worn everyday for over a year.(My only watch) It has held up better than any watch I have ever owned. Takes a beating day after day and the crystal still shows very few marks, mostly just some weld spatter. The stock bracelet works well and I have had no issues with it at all, and i like the way it looks too. Plus it has the best movement of the watches you listed, mine, depending on what I am doing stays well within +3,-3 seconds a day, sometimes right on the money for weeks on end. It also has a different look to it compared to a lot of other divers.

4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I had 007 for over 20 years and it ran perfect the whole time. I finally stopped wearing it when I got a Pathfinder before going to Iraq in 2006. I sold it to another forum member here and he was amazed at how well it had held up. Never sent it in for service as it never needed it.

5. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Can you wear a 007 safely in the shower or while swimming? I'm just asking as some are rated WR but seem to fail in these common situations.

6. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

With a 200m wr, the 007 should handle swimming without any issues provided it was not opened for mods or what not and not pressure tested to ensure water resistance. There is some controversy about wearing watches in the shower, sauna, or hot tub. The hot humid atmosphere may cause the gaskets, metal, etc to expand at different rates therefore allowing gaps for water to infiltrate.

JP likes this.
  7. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

All of them are good options. I would lean more towards the SNZG15 and SKX007 just because the dials are a bit easier to read. But I have to echo the sentiment with most folks in this thread by agreeing on the SKX007, it's a sexy watch.

deeker likes this.
  8. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

The SNZG15 would be thinner (lower profile) to wear.

The other 2 are diver watches so they will be thicker and heavier to wear. But they have greater water resistant and much better lume.

I am always bias towards diver because I enjoy seeing bright lume. My take is that if you like wearing the watch with NATO strap, I would go with SKX007, I like the overall NATO width with regard to the case size better. Otherwise the Monster (1st of 2nd gen doesn't matter) are more unique because of the style and the lume brightness is simple ... Monsterious ... LOL

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

After reading the title I wanted to jump in this thread suggesting you get a Seiko for all kind of reasons.... but... erm... yeah...

You can afford to just go by taste here, as there's no good/bad choices in that list. All are good value for money. Id like to suggest to buy the one that fits your lifestyle best; If you have to wear a suit every day dont get the monster.... If you are a framer, roofer or otherwise live in a bucket of sharp things dont get the snzg... Just go by what you could get the best use out of with the most pleasure just based on looks.

You should be able to shower with any proper waterproof watch, however do keep in mind that shampoo and stuff can do nasty things to o-rings in the long run so depending on how often you 'mistreat' em like that just bring the watch in for waterproofing service with gasket replacement every one or two years (cheap). Movement service is more pricey but should not be needed often. Seiko will tell you 3 year service intervals but my experience is that if you don't abuse em too much and the watch is keeping good time/no hickups that you can get a way with 5 without too much issue.

Personally looks-wise id go with the 007 as its just a very nicely proportioned do anything watch. Not as 'classy' as the sn, not as look-at-me-beefy as the monster... its just right. But like i said, if you are a banker then the classy sn would 'suit' you fine (see what i did there?) and the monster would look awesome peeking from behind your gloves while riding your snow-scooter to your job as ice-road logger.

10. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

PRAETORIAN Phalanx

(Ooops...not an auto.)

[​IMG]

Adahn likes this.
  11. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Notice the 007 says "Diver's 200m" on the dial? That watch is an actual dive watch that's rated to be taken 200m below the ocean's surface. I think you'll be fine washing your hands or swimming.

Also, it's a helluva watch with an extremely robust and reliable movement, a killer bezel, and a serious tool watch pedigree. 007 wins in my book by a long mile.

deeker likes this.
  12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

prefer larger watches so I would go with the Monster. I had a six but it was small for me and very interesting.

13. Thinker

Thinker Empty Pockets

I like the Casio PRG 550.
    Love the ABC (alt/bar/compass/temp)

[​IMG]

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  14. manofviolence

manofviolence Loaded Pockets

Thank you everyone for the great advice!I had decided on getting the seiko srp307 monster was about to pull the trigger but........
    This guy finally came back in stock for a brief moment. I know it is totally different from the other watches but this guy is unreal up close. The blue hands on the cream dial does something funny to me.
    [​IMG]

15. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Haha nice watch! Well, i for one am glad to see you still bought a Seiko but most importantly you like it and thats really all that matters. It will not disappoint you.

16. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

Excellent! Can't go wrong with Orient and there in-house movements. Wanting to pick up a Mako or Ray myself.

murrydan likes this.
  17. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Heck of a jump from the Monster to that! Classy watch. Enjoy it.

18. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

It's worth noting also that the red "diver's" on the dial and engraved into the back of the case men that THAT SPECIFIC WATCH on your wrist was pressure tested to 200m. Not just a few from that batch at the factor, but THAT ONE, which I think is pretty cool, and means a little more.