1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First pocket knife for 12 year old?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by North86, Dec 9, 2014.

1. North86

North86 Loaded Pockets

Yeah... um... kinda creeped out right now. But since I am new, and don't know you I will respond as best I can....

She won't be taking any knife to school.
    Her mother is fine with it, but wants something smaller than a mora.
    Folders are fine to carry.
    Not that it would be any of your business, but none of question 4 applies. And that's a really weird thing to ask about my kid, so you really need to re-read what you post. I'm not going to report you, because I am new here, but that was weird.

foxmo, kertap75 and Gravy like this.
  2. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I don't think he meant it like you understood it. He probably meant to say that different types of people see knives differently. Soccer moms would freak out about a tiny SAK where a farmer or an old school dude might laugh about it ;)

PilotCPS, Water-Rat and Adahn like this.
  3. doby34

doby34 Loaded Pockets

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It is, REALLY, none of anybody's darn business but yours! Oh, yes it does apply and I highly implore YOU to ask those questions. I have re-read my post and I will post it repeatedly because I am not asking YOU to provide confidential information about YOUR family and I am NOT suggesting anything. I have simply articulated that if I were in your shoes (and HAVE been), I should at least be asking some VERY probing questions to ascertain any threat to my child's safety.

If you firmly believe that my post is weird, consider what miscreants with predatory propensities often think about doing to helpless youth.

Feel free to report me in ANY manner and as FREQUENTLY as you may find it necessary to placate your sensibilities.

5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The guy asked about an appropriate first knife, how it's that an invitation to talk about child predators? I'm all for thread drift but that's just not right. Every parent thinks about their child's safety, and if they don't then some stranger on the internet being a dick isn't going to change that

6. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Holy out of context, Batman!

7. North86

North86 Loaded Pockets

I don't know what your problems were or are with your kid or kids. I don't know what your deal is, or what your problem is. I suggest you seek professional help because you either have had or still have problems, and my thread in an EDC forum isn't the place to air your personal issues. You want to discuss child predators, cutters, or something else you've experienced, then start your own :censored: thread. Don't crap all over mine. I'm here two weeks, and already putting someone on ignore, that's a record.

8. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

It may be less fun than getting a gift, but when I turned 10 I got to pick out my first Swiss Army Knife. (I'm a woman) So maybe you can arrange a day where you can go to a store and have her look and pick something out. Then you'll know it fits her and she likes it.

Gilatabar, Crippletron and cowsmilk like this.
  9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm going to have to agree with this assessment. I looked at the questions and didn't take offense. I have a daughter of similar age and all four questions seem reasonable to me.

Let's everyone get back on the topic of referring a knife for the young lady, instead of quarreling amongst ourselves, and let's also keep in mind that sometimes questions arise that help with the selection process that may seem personal. In this instance, it's ok not to answer, but its not ok to be rude.

Having just recently received a Spyderco Dragonfly in the mail, I would recommend that knife...or a SAK.

PilotCPS and Gilatabar like this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's not a bad idea. My daughter has already pointed out lots of blades she likes, but most are not appropriate for her size. :)

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You took what I said waaaaayyy out of context. Ease-up. It's just conversation on a public internet forum. Take a deep breath and read. You're new to all this. Don't take anything on the net too seriously as much of it may invariably be offered without preface.

Never had any problems with my child because I always asked every question that I could think of. That fact alone kept the bad elements AWAY!

Feel free to ignore me; however, I highly encourage YOU to NOT ignore the bad elements that may ultimately affect what appears on your avatar to be a very nice family.

Relax and welcome to EDCF.

Adahn likes this.
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

My initial suggestion is to give her a Spyderco trainer; a model that doesn't have a sharp edge. Train her to care for the device by maintaining custody of it. If she still knows where it is after one week, she is ready to progress to the next stage. If she is unable to locate it after the trial period, you will know that the thought was a fad.

13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

North86 You could check the Victorinox Limited Editions. They have various designs, easy to be found on fleabay.
    For a 12yo girl maybe the White Shadow could be nice,

[​IMG]

or Blue Mist, but that's maybe more my taste then ;)

[​IMG]

For my same aged nephew I'd get the Victorinox Lim.Ed. Treasure :)

[​IMG]

kertap75 likes this.
  14. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

To preface I am a male, but I got my first knife around ten and it was an SAK. A small one too. And I have to say that I never cut myself more when I had that knife. Because the knife doesn't lock and is easily foldable I hit my fingers many times using the knife inappropriately. I know that as a parent you will teacher how to use it right, but before then she will make mistakes. I suggest a case or traditional folder that has a solid half way stop. Since it locks in tighter (not a true lock) and is harder to both open and close, plus has the half way stop, I think you will save her a lot of pain.

15. North86

North86 Loaded Pockets

After my wife's reaction to the fixed mora, I am thinking a small(ish) locking folder. Thanks for your input.

16. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Preface: What I am about to say is out of your price range, so if that's a deal breaker you should just move along.

When I was a youngster and ready for my first knife (that wasn't as dull as a spoon), my father gave me a Buck Knight. This is a light lockback folder with a 1 7/8" drop point blade and a handsome wood handle. It was, in my opinion, a gentleman's knife in addition to being very capable. I took that knife everywhere (including places I shouldn't have - shame on me!), from indoor work doing stage construction at a theatre to outdoor activities like hiking and fishing. I loved it, and not only because of how nice it looked. When my father bought me my Knight, he bought for himself a Buck Squire. This is the same knife but larger and heavier, with a 2 3/4" blade. He rarely carried it, but it felt like a little club just the two of us were in. There also exists a Buck Prince, which oddly is slightly smaller and slimmer than the Squire.

I can comfortably recommend this set. These are strong, safe knives with a good weight to them and a handsome profile. They are generally non-threatening. With that said, know your local laws regarding locking folders and gravity knives. These knives can be opened one-handed by pinching the blade and flicking your wrist so, in the eyes of the law, they qualify as gravity knives. They also have locks. Some areas frown upon both of these things.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to think about buying a Prince and a Squire so my father and I can once again have a matching set...

Hangman likes this.
  17. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Boker Plus Nano? Small... not so pointy and just shy of 2"