1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First impressions of GORUCK GR1

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by yangofcalifornia, Oct 17, 2016.

1. yangofcalifornia

yangofcalifornia Loaded Pockets

I recently got a few 5.11 bags (the Rush 24 and MOAB10) and I love them both. I use the Rush 24 for longer trips and I was using the MOAB 10 for edc but I just could never get used to the sling style. So I have been eyeing the GORUCK GR1 and finally decided to bite the bullet.

Some first thoughts. It is HEAVY. But it feels so strong and also feels like quality so I think I am okay with it. It is also large looking but when I put it on (5'9") it doesn't look too big at all. The black material can make it difficult to see in the pockets. This especially true for the front slant pocket. BTW, this front slant pocket goes all the way down so I had read that previous years did not. It is a big pocket but in a vast way so things can get lost easily in it. The laptop compartment is the best I have seen in any bag. The lack of admin pocket is certainly the biggest drag. However, I am waiting for the Echo field pocket which I believe will settle my problem. I think it will be large enough and have the organization for a pen, lighter, Leatherman, knife, and such.

It is definitely on the border of being too large for EDC but so far it has been fine. The minimalist design and pockets are excellent. The internal molle is fantastic as well. Makes it very versatile.

[​IMG]

Right now I have an S biner on one side and the 5.11 tier strap to hold a jacket.

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  2. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

I read the front pocket didnt go all the way down as well....is that true?

I have a Vanquest organizer on the inside molle that works great for things I dont want to put inside pocket.

3. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Please post a photo of your load out and you wearing your new GR1. Thanks for sharing.

4. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

The front pocket on my GR1 goes down to just below the molle strip second from the bottom.

When I first got my GR1 I also thought it was a bit big for EDC, but I have come to love it. It has been, hands down, my all time favorite pack and despite the fact that I have put it through a LOT (things that would have destroyed many a backpack) it's still just as good as the day I got it. Probably a little bit better tbh.

5. yangofcalifornia

yangofcalifornia Loaded Pockets

My slant front pocket goes ALL the way down. It's a huge pocket but when the bag is packed, it's definitely not the most usable pocket.

Here is my "admin" pocket, which turned out to be a great solution to the GR1 lacking an admin pocket. I attached an Echo field pocket to the internal molle along with a Condor flashlight holder. It works great. I keep my usb drive, knife, multitool, pens in here with plenty of room for other stuff. I can even stuff my dopp kit in there.

With these attachments on, I can fit a trifold suit, dress shoes, and a weekends worth of clothes. Or I can pack enough clothes for a 7-10 day trip, easily. I am sold on this bag being MY ultimate bag. I was originally thinking I needed a GR2 as well for longer travel, but I don't think that is even necessary at this point. If it doesn't fit in this bag, I think it would be considered overpacking! I am thoroughly happy so far..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

It's interesting that yours goes all the way down. I wonder when they implemented that change. Mine only goes to the molle.

7. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Goes all the way down on my 34l gr2 as well. I don't have trouble with getting stuff out of it, but my pack is Grey so it's a little easier to see inside maybe....

8. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I like the Echo pocket too - works great for chargers etc. The slant pockets on my packs are kind of paradoxical - the deepest one is on my new Bullet 10, next is my GR1 and the shallowest is on my GR2. No big deal either way since I use thes pockets for stuff like keys, tickets etc. I suppose I could stuff a light shell in there more often (I have one that fits) but it's not necessary.

I get what you're saying about the GR1 for travel - it's a nice size and you can always throw extra stuff into something like their kit bag. That being said, the GR2 has been perfect for a few 4-5 day trips I've done with it - the extra organization really works nicely.

9. thegaijin

thegaijin Loaded Pockets

The echo field pocket will be perfect size for what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

I think GR1 21L is the bag that fits all. My tendency though is the bigger the bag the more I load up accessories( pocket knives, pouches) so still end up with a packed bag in the end and weight starts to sink in. So now I've settled on the Bullet as its much lighter and I can pack all essentials slightly lesser than the GR1. Mind you Christmas is knocking around the corner!