1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions: Hazard 4 M.O.D. (Messenger of Doom) Bag

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by bigfoot, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

As promised, here are some pics of the Hazard 4 M.O.D. messenger bag. It's a little larger than I thought it would be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (more room for gear, right?). The coyote brown is nice and my first piece of gear in that color. The first two pictures below with bounced flash (front view & admin compartment view) show the color shade pretty well.

First impressions -- I really like this bag. A little too big to be carrying through a crowd of people, but definitely good as something to carry between work/home and the car or on vacation. Construction-wise it seems very well built, with real Cordura according to the hang tags. A smoother nylon than the Maxpedition offerings, so hopefully easier on the clothes.

Front View:

With the removable flap closed. Morale patch (not included, from my own collection) is 2x3". The Nalgene and soda can are included for scale. Not shown is the padded shoulder strap.
    [​IMG]

Front Admin Compartment Open:

Lots of pen and pencil slots here, with some larger pockets.
    [​IMG]

Inside of Main Compartment:

One side of the main compartment (the back side) is lined with PALS/MOLLE webbing and Velcro. The front side has a couple of stash pockets, as do the sides.
    [​IMG]

Rear Laptop Compartment:

This compartment is well padded and will accommodate flat items like a laptop, Kindle, paperwork, magazines, etc. The Nalgene and soda can are way too big to fit, but included for scale.
    [​IMG]

2. barents67

barents67 Empty Pockets

great pics (more real than the manufacturer), thanks.

3. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Hate to bother you about this, but could you measure the dimensions of the main pocket? All I've been able to find is a 5" overall width. If that dimension is indeed correct, this bag doesn't seem much bigger than a regular briefcase. In order to carry my largest carry pistol, a 9.5" long HK USP Elite in 45 acp along with several twelve round mags, I need space. That gun, holstered in a Wilderness Safepacker LGR (which will hold two extra twelve round mags) takes up nearly the entire space intended for a laptop in my Timbuk2 Blogger.

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Sure can... here you go: 16" Long, 12" High, 5" Wide for the main compartment. I would say you're right, the size is pretty comparable to a briefcase.

5. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

That looks very good! Thanks for the pics!
    I use everyday a Victorinox messenger bag. The thing is cool and bombproof, but a bit bulky and heavy, and the this one seems to be a bit smaller and lighter would be ideal.

6. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

are there dedicated water bottle pockets on the ends or molle to attach same?

7. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Wow, looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

8. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

There is some PALS/MOLLE webbing (two channels wide) on each end of the bag on the outside.

9. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

From your photos and those on the Hazard 4 site, it appears that the web array is on the outside of the fold down pocket. Are the fold down reinforcing mechanisms - side straps - stong enough to to support the carry a variety of gear attached to the webbing without comprimising the ability of the pocket to fold down properly? Both the laptop compartment and the fold down pocket appear to have no real depth, so that loading these pockets will compromise the capacity of the main compartment. Do you find that to be the case? Finially, when the cover flap is on, must it be undone at the front to access to computer pocket or is it sufficiently easy to disconnect the flap where it attaches - assumably to the outside face of the computer pocket - to access the laptop in that manner? Thanks.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Yes, the web array is on the outside of the fold down "admin" pocket. I think if you don't overload the outside of that fold down pocket with lots of weight (back side of which is the clear map case), you'd be fine. As far as laptop compartment access, your only way in is to open the main cover flap, then unzip the laptop pocket. No independent laptop access from the back of the bag.

11. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

Thanks for sharing the pics.

If you load it up will it stay upright or does it flop forward?

12. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

It's squared off on the bottom, so if you have some weight in there it will stand up. But not quite as well as the TNT bag. (Have since gone to an Emdom TNT for EDC use. Slightly OT -- your pics of the TNT are great! Part of what pushed me over the edge...)

13. jerknextdoor

jerknextdoor Empty Pockets

I just got my MOD a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to take pictures, hopefully this week gives me time to set it up properly. So far I'm a fan of it, a few too many loose threads for me though. Have any tips now that you've had yours for a while?

14. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Can't say that I do -- mine went back, it was just a little too big while carrying as a messenger bag and for general EDC usage. Went with a used TNT Emdom...

15. jerknextdoor

i agree that is too big...but I needed something that i could carry my 15" laptop and work related items in it, namely a folder and a clipboard. i also wanted something i could wear on my bike... the bag doesn't sit as well as I had hoped, but I haven't had a chance to try it on my bike yet. its really strange that this doesnt hold much more than a little 10 x 8 x 3 (i'm guessing on dimensions) canvas army surplus bag i had been carrying for a year. that kept everything but my laptop. i'm gonna keep it just because i cant seem to find anything better that works as a work and bike bag both.

16. Sofastreamer

Sofastreamer Loaded Pockets

is the main compartment also padded? especially the bottom?

17. jerknextdoor

not really padded, but i havent had any problems with it.

18. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Great bag. Ivd just bought a pre-owned (looks new!) one for just over half the price of a new one.
    I love it!!

19. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

It's been nearly a year since you asked this, but I just got one of these, and was even thinking of doing my own review (so far, I feel it has its flaws, but my feelings are definitely net positive). So I wanted to expand on bigfoot's answers with my own experiences.

Removing the flap where it attaches to the bag, but without opening the flap, is vaguely possible, but much more difficult than you'd want to do very often.

I've tried the laptop area with a not-particularly-thin computer and I don't think it impinges much on the main area. And as for the admin area, I've loaded it up and I think it mostly bulges towards the front, rather than back into the bag.

Significant weight on the PALS on front will definitely cause the lowered panel to fold in on itself a bit. This is really annoying, and I wish they'd built in some kind of reinforcement, like HDPE struts or something on the sides and across the top.