1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Handgun 9mm

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by vumeister, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

The Glock 19 suggestion was a good one. It's small enough (for some) to carry, yet big enough to be fun and easy to shoot.

I have a K-T P-11. I love it, but the trigger is very long and heavy. If you buy one, invest in snap caps! You can't dry-fire a Kel-Tec without them, and dry firing is the best way to get used to the P-11's long trigger. By the way, the range is an excellent -- and safe -- place to practice dry fire. I use my fireplace as my "backstop" when dry firing, just in case the unthinkable happens. Instead of a tragedy, I'd have some damaged bricks.

All my best,
    Dirty Bob

2. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

Listen to everyone else....the Glock 19 is the way to go. Best balance of everything you need in a good defensive handgun. If you shop you should definitely be able to do 500.

3. Sigsense

Sigsense Loaded Pockets

For $500, you can get a new CZ-75B or a used Sig 226, both great, battle tested weapons.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Try out both the Glock 19 and the smaller Glock 26.

Go to a gun shop that will let you try out both models on their range. Rent them, fire them.

Been my experience that while the model 19 is a very good handgun, I've noticed that muzzle flip can hinder fast follow-up shots a bit. Try them both out yourself. Also, see if you can rent a Kahr PM9 if the Glock 26 works well for you.

5. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I'm sure you are just saying under $500 because that's what his limit is. Usually those Police trade-ins are/should be a lot cheaper than $500.

I am getting my Gen4 G23 for $525. Comes with 3 mags, cleaning brush/rod, back straps, etc.

Great package. Now I just need it to get here.

6. thchip

thchip Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a CZ PO7Duty. It is a very good pistol and I have found it to be very reliable and accurate. Price point is around $500.00.

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

In Memphis there are G19 in dealers cases for $495 NEW, $545 with Night Sights. G23s are the same prices

8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

+1 and I've got four Glocks as well, but I'm carrying the CZ.

9. knuckles

knuckles Empty Pockets

I am behind CZ's..get you a used 75c or PCR..done deal ..I love my CZ's...everytime I take mine out ..they outshine all the others ..ergo's, accuracy..great guns

10. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I have a Ruger P-series (P-90); it is a great gun, very reliable, but very bulky - really not appropriate for CCW. The Glocks are not comfortable for my hands, YMMV, but try them out first. I'll be getting a Kahr when I have the money for a CCW.

11. Relayer

Relayer Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the recommendation for CZ... at least see if you can rent one to shoot at a local range. I love mine.

12. macman37

macman37 Empty Pockets

I dunno if they're still running the sale but CDNN was selling SigPro 2022s (their polymer 9mm) for a VERY good price, well within your price range.

I am also highly impressed with the Smith and Wesson M&P 9 full size... Order it through gandrtactical.com and you'll be within your price range also.

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Puchase and M&P right now and you can get either a $50 rebate or 2 free magazines.

14. cutt

cutt Loaded Pockets

Kel-Tec PF-9, easily concealable, dead reliable, never had a mag drop out under ANY circumstances other than pushing the mag release. Get the optional pocket/belt clip for $10. Mine is always tucked in my waistband right above my wallet on the right side. Only downfall would be the 7-1 capacity. Some complain of recoil but it just takes some getting use to and a firm grim. Put a rubber sleeve on the grip. It is accurate and reliable. Thinnest 9mm made. Around $300 in black. DA only so it's safe to carry with one in the chamber.

15. Desertrat1

Desertrat1 Empty Pockets

Glock 17. Without a doubt. Good recoil, rate of fire and accuracy. Built to last and easy to shoot.

16. flash lite

flash lite Empty Pockets

my first was a SW model 19 357
    great hand gun

17. EdD270

EdD270 Empty Pockets

Of the ones listed in the OP, I'd go with the Ruger. However, my first choice would be a glock G-17 or G-19, or a Springfield XD, if you really mjust go with a semi-auto.
    I'd suggest a .357 mag. revolver, either a Ruger or S&W, but Taurus makes good ones, too.

18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've always been a little leary of Ruger pistols. A buddy bought a new P95 after he got out of the Marines and we'd regularly go to the range. It constantly mis-fired with a wide range of ammunition. I initially thought he was an isolated case, but a father and son duo started shooting local IDPA matches at my club and they had similar problem with one of their pistols as well. My barber bought a new LCP and it gets recalled. Doesn't exactly give me confidence in Ruger pistols, but that is just me.

19. Chains

Chains Empty Pockets

My Kahr CW9 is a very solid and reliable 9.Easy to conceal and very accurate.$459.00 brand new.

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Empty Pockets

Nothing is better than a Glock, IME (I own ten). Best 9mm model is the G19. Best model period, IMO, is the G30, but that's a .45ACP. However, the G19 is a close second. In a full sized Glock the G21 is the King, again IMO.

I own four Kel-Tecs, one of each of all of their pistol models. I have had NO problems with any of them. P3AT (.380ACP) 2300+ rounds. P32 (.32ACP) 650+ rounds. PF-9 (9mm Luger) 1150+ rounds. P-11 (9mm Luger) 750+ rounds. Again, ZERO malfunctions of any kind. The PF-9 is a great gun for concealed carry. But the P-11 is a great little gun. MUCH smaller than a Glock 26 AND it holds 12+1 rounds of 9mm (Kel-Tec factory 12 round magazine). It will even accept certain, common S&W 15-round magazines (spacer required). I know of no other gun as small and light as the P-11 that holds 13 rounds of 9mm. This is a gun you could (I do) pocket carry that holds 13 rounds with a flush magazine. Yep, flush. The trigger is long, as others have noted. But for a gun with no external safeties (the way I like 'em) the extra effort to actuate bang is a good thing. Best part is you can get a P-11 with a blued slide for around $225 regularly. I bought my hard chrome P-11 at a gun show six months ago for $250 tax, tag and title. It is also not as punishing on your hands at the range as the PF-9 can be, though neither are particularly bad, to me. The P3AT is more punishing than either.