1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Handgun 9mm

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by vumeister, Mar 26, 2010.

1. vumeister

vumeister Empty Pockets

I am on a low budget, preferably under 500 dollars. I am looking for a good range gun that could also serve as a good ccw. I am currently looking at these, Ruger P95 (it's a little large though), Ruger SR9/C, Kel-Tec PF-9/P-11, and Kahr CW9. Also, since I am a fairly new shooter, I don't really want a gun that has massive recoil and is hard to manage. I've been hearing good things about these guns and they are around my budget. Which one should I get?

2. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

My next 9mm is going to be a Springfield XD9 Subcompact. I've heard lots of good things about them and I've been wanting one for a while now. There are also Glock variants in the 9mm caliber that should be close to your budget so you might consider those as well.

If you are dead set on one of those you mentioned then I can't really help as I don't own one of them. However, I do have a friend with a Kel-Tec P-11 and he really seems to like it and it shoots pretty well. I've always heard good things about Kahr's and Ruger usually makes a good gun but I don't have any personal experience to offer so you might wait until those that do own these guns chime in.

Good luck and happy "hunting!" :)

Heath

3. lordhamster

lordhamster Loaded Pockets

Personally I have the Glock26. It is small enough for CCW but holds 10+1 for carry. For the range, I simply use the Glock 19 Magazine Plus a mag spacer. That gives me a full size magazine/grip for the range, and the compactness I want for CCW.

The suggestion of the Springfield XD9 is a also a good option. I think that one comes with the two different size mags (15 and 10 round i think), whereas the Glock 26 comes with two same size mags (10).

Since I've had the glock 26 I've put 600 rounds through it and never had a single problem. It always goes bang.

4. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

Recoil has more to do with the round being used and the length of the barell so a smaller gun shooting a hot 9mm round will kick more.

I have spent many years training people to shoot...buy a 22 till you learn gun control. I could drop most people with a 22 before they could hit me with their 9mm. I also taught CC classes and used my 22 as an example. I would drop a lifesize target to about 20 feet and have everyone take a quick shot after running around the block. Most couldn't even hit the target.

If you are new to guns than you need to learn more about how and when to shoot. The problem with most people once their hear rate climbs they can't shoot. And trust me on this a well placed bullet of any size is better than a 45 missing the target.

Just my 2 cents

5. vumeister

vumeister Empty Pockets

Well I prefer to spend my money now on a 9mm and train with it on the range so I get good enough to carry it. I am on my university's pistol and rifle club and I am familiar with shooting .22 already. I don't want to buy a .22 now and later buy a 9mm for defense. With recoil, I want it to be fun to shoot. Like I said in my post, it will serve its' purpose as a range gun as well as a ccw. I want to be able to shoot a lot of rounds comfortably. I don't want to shoot 50 rounds and stop because my wrists are hurting, you know what I mean?

6. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

you can get a Glock police trade in for under $500, I love my G17

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

As far as the .9mm Kel-Tec goes, try it out before buying. Some shooters find that it is too easy to accidentally hit the magazine release button during rapid shooting. For some, for self-defense, that would be a Deal-Breaker. It's main advantage is that it's one of the thinner sub-compacts out there.

8. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I've shot the Ruger SR9-C and the trigger pull is light and short. If I owned one I would probably get used to it, but that's not the case (ownership) and I thought the trigger was too light. It broke like glass and I've got no 'real' complaints about it, just my observation.

9. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

I think you are going to be disappointed if you try to buy one gun to cover all your needs. Either buy a cc gun or buy a range gun. To be half way competitive at the range, you need a bigger, heavier gun with longer sight radius, target sights and a target trigger. For cc, you [generally] need a smaller gun preferrably slicked up so it draws smoothly without the sights catching on your clothing, that is light enough that you will carry it, is concealable, and won't jab you w/ rough edges. There is a huge difference in shooting an airweight j frame at 15 oz. and a fullsized gov't 1911 at 38 oz. Huge.

As far as which would make a decent crossover, you will find as many opinions as you will different guns.

10. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

Used G19.

Best value for the $$.

11. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

I understand the desire to buy an all around gun but there really isn't one. Currently I have a lot of pistols. ranging from 22 - 22.250..
    9mm is in the more power side of bullets and you take a 9mm and slap it into a small package like you are looking at your hand will be sore by 50 rounds. When I need a "larger" caliber gun I carry either my Sig 229 in 40 or 357sig or my custom caspian 45. What I carry everyday is a LW Seecamp 32 not sights.. It is small and I can carry it an no one can see it.

Take a look at the gun you are wanting to buy and get your hands on it. What may look and feel great my be worthless as a CC gun. For that you need a gun that is quick on the out and won't snag things causing you to shoot yourself.

This is a link to a PDF that compares sizes of guns and really helps you see some things..

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

12. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

You're going to get a lot of wordy advice here so I won't add to it. CZ 75BD. Trust me. Or not.

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I highly recommend considering the CZ P-07 Duty. I've fallen in love with mine and carry it in place of my Glock(19, 26, and 36). It's also less than $500 new.

14. usmc18

usmc18 Loaded Pockets

Of all the guns you mentioned. I really like the Kahr. Its a solid gun for both purpose you mentioned and not a bulky as the glocks. You will get a lot of opinions but I can assure you that you will never regret the Kahr. As the owner of more pistols I can count the Kahr is Top 10 of what I own and top 3 in 9mm. Full size Glock 17 and Springfield XD being 1 & 2. For concealed carry I always go with 380, Taurus Millenium Pro in 45 ACP or the Kahr.

15. tacticalcarry

tacticalcarry Loaded Pockets

I bought a used G19 for home defense and competition shooting. I like it a lot. I think if I were going to ccw though I would probably pick up a G26.

16. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

If your not dead set on the ones you listed, look into Walther's. Ive never seen one of their 9mm, but you can get .22 and .40s for super cheap, well under your budget, so im assuming a 9 wouldnt be too much of a price difference. Theyre also very thin, and made of a super light weight polymer.

That or go Glock. I carry a Glock 27(.40 cal) but my dad has carried the Glock 26(9mm) ever since i can remember, and we both swear by them. Both of ours are the subcompact models as well.

Also whatever you end up getting, look into ClipDraw clips. Its a small metal clip that attaches to the gun(Glock it attaches to the receiver, other models have other attachment methods), its extremely non-obtrusive, and allows you to wear the gun in your pants with out a holster or the worry that the gun will slip/fall/etc... The nice thing about them too, they dont interfere with most other holsters or anything. I got mine of GunBroker for about $20 shipped!

Good luck with your searching!

17. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Of the guns you listed I would go with the Kahr. Their quality is good and the know how to design for concealed carry. The Ruger is also good, but a small difference in size can become a huge issue when carrying concealed. An awful lot of people buy based on wanting to have "enough gun" and then don't carry all the time because what they ended up wtih isn't comfortable. It's better to have a .32 with you than a .44 at home.

Kel-Tecs are decent, I own a P-3AT, but I prefer Kahr and Ruger for overall quality. If you decide to go with a Kel-Tec I recommend the P-9, which is a bit smaller than the P-11.

If you end up looking at other options my recommendation would be a Glock 26. My wife has one and loves it. The 26 is the smallest of the 9mm Glocks. Normally that would mean more recoil, but my experience is that it actually shoots lighter than the 17 and 19. I think the two-stage recoil spring is what makes the difference, but a lot of folks seem to agree about the recoil.

--Bob Q

18. broberts001

broberts001 Loaded Pockets

I started with the S&W Sigma 9mm, moved to the Kahr CW9. I sold both and fell in love with the S&W M&P 9mm. Solid firearm, managable recoil and easily handled by both myself and my wife - this has been my favorite sidearm due to the ergos and trigger. I also carry a Kel-Tec p-11. The trigger is not a smooth as the M&P, but it is solid shooter, acurate and US made.

-Bryan

19. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

20. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

As has been stated, the Glock 19 is an excellent choice (better than any of the ones you mentioned in your first post, IMO). In fact, I would argue that it's the best, all-around "fighting pistol" on the market when you consider factors like reliability, capacity, ease of maintenance, availability of parts, etc.
    I've carried one every day for about 5 years now and have no trouble concealing it.

You should be able to find a used one that is within your budget.