1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Gun. (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by lchoke, Sep 28, 2010.

1. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi Seth,

By smooth it up I was infering that Stainless Steel usually guns have a history of being a little gritty when they are new. The SP-101 has an encapsulated firing pin. To avoid peening it, Ruger supplys a colored disc with the gun for dry firing it, so you will not do any damage to your gun from excessive dry firing.

If you do not have the disc, call Ruger they will probably send you one for free, if not just buy snap caps. After about 1000 pulls of the trigger the gun should seem much smoother. Cliff

2. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

It's a used gun and he has snap caps(You can see them in the second to last picture).

3. DemskeetSkeet

I think hollow bottom bullets and hollow base bullets are the same thing:

The hollow base expands to seal the bore and to engage the rifling better (not sure if that works with plated bullets.) It also makes the bullet longer, so it has more bearing surface.

Supposed to improve accuracy but I can't imagine you'll notice.

4. lchoke

lchoke Empty Pockets

So they are better? Why so cheap it was like 14bucks for a 50 box.... Good for self defense?

5. Biff...

Biff... Loaded Pockets

Very nice, gotta love a good revolver.

6. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

no more so than fmj

7. MedicX

MedicX Loaded Pockets

Very nice indeed. I would probably edit the serial number on the gun though.

8. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

For self defense, buy self defense ammo. It's expensive, about $1/round, but in 357 it will likely drop the bg with one good hit. They also use low flash powder which will make a world of difference if you discharge your gun at night (which is probably when you will need to shoot defensively). A 357 round w/ 'normal' powders will all but blind you with the flash which is not so great if you need follow up shots. During the day, flash is not very noticeable.

With 357 you need to be careful about overpenetration. Depending on your round, your bullet could go through the bg and kill someone on the other side a the wall behind him.

You really should invest in some training. As you have found, it's not e z to accurately shoot a revolver and it's very e z to develop bad habits. If you can't afford or get training, read and read and read about handguns and ballistics.

9. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

Those things are built like tanks and will give you yrs of service.

10. lchoke

lchoke Empty Pockets

So, I could not resist I went to the shop and got a cardboard cutout target and put 26 rounds into it heres the results. I was about 12 yards out.
    [​IMG]
    Not super good but at the same time not awful I was aiming for the body for about 10 shots the rest I was aiming for the head. I was shooting low and left until I started to get the hang of it. Its much better practice than shooting at water bottles its easier to tell what direction your missing.

11. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

It's just SUCH a classic look - I rarely see an SP that I don't want...and it's just a darn shame they don't make the .22 SP anymore!
    We are down to just the LCR and the Charter Arms Southpaw in our .38's now...but my lustings never really stop for the SP line.

Great choice, Ichoke.
    It can be your first gun...
    it can be your only gun...
    and because of the weight, construction, and materials used....
    it can be the only gun you ever buy...even if you fire 1000 rounds a month for the rest of your life.

Really a nice choice - let us hear how you did at the range. :)

12. lchoke

lchoke Empty Pockets

Thanks for the kind words. I doubt it will be my only gun lol. Back read for my results from the last 2 days I dont know when me and Matt are going to the range yet but once we do I will let you know:)

13. iamsalomon

iamsalomon Loaded Pockets

Firstly congratulations on your SP-101. After much research I came to the conclusion that the SP-101 is an excellent gun overall. It's rugged, reliable, concealable, fun to shoot, and in .357 has excellent stopping power. I just bought mine last month and have fired about 250 rounds through it witout a hickup.
    Kind regards,
    John

14. DemskeetSkeet

Well we ended up going to the range this morning. Lots of fun, lots of guns, lots of ammo fired down range, and a lot of money used up, lol.

I shot the SP-101 pretty well actually. From 25 feet out I had 5 shots in a 50 feet slow pistol target. 3 of the shots were within 3/4" together and the other two were within a couple inches of the group.

We also shot my LCP, Ruger SR-556, M&P15-22, Glock 19 Gen 4, Ruger Mark III Hunter. Two of my friends also came out to shoot with their Ruger SR9 and Smith & Wesson 9mm(Can't think of the model).

We were out their for almost 3 hours.

.357 is a beast of a cartridge. I've shot .38 Special revolvers before but never a .357. I had no clue their would be that big of a difference between the two!

15. lchoke

lchoke Empty Pockets

Yup it was a great session lots of fun great guns, great dudes, great times. We can do it again whenever possible good times.

16. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

Awesome new purchase. I have yet to pick up a revolver. I'm torn between the Ruger Alaskan or something in Blue and wood. ? We'll see.

17. bigshowrenfro

bigshowrenfro Loaded Pockets

Very Nice. Congrats on getting your first gun. A revolver is great to learn on, they are so accurate. Glad to see you went that direction for your first rather than an automatic. Now that you have it never get rid of it. I've made that mistake in the past and have lost some great guns on stupid trades. Enjoy and post some range pictures.

18. nuubee

nuubee Empty Pockets

I have an SP101 and never liked the factory grips, nor the Hogue aftermarkets, nor the Pachmayr, for this one model. I stumbled across Trausch grips on the web, got a pair, and like them much better. If you decide to try different grips, I would suggest the Trausch.

19. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

And for me the best choice is the hard nylon Hogue Monogrip (not the soft rubber version). I treat the SP101 as a .38+P revolver, and the hard Monogrip spreads out the recoil enough to make +P comfortable for me. I could shoot the stuff all day without problems. It also doesn't "print" like soft rubber grips can. The hard Monogrip has the same pebble surface for a better grip and fits my hands very well. From the moment I changed the grip on the SP101, I knew I'd made the right choice -- for me. YMMV.

All my best,
    Dirty Bob