1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First fountain pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by rickinFL, Sep 15, 2013.

1. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

My mom gifted me my dad's old pen. Bit too big for carry but it will be my primary desk pen. It is simply a joy to write with. If I wanted to carry it, any general rules to follow?
    [​IMG]

Sarky likes this.
  2. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

First off. WOW. A MontBlanc. Those are very very very expensive pens. Be nice to it :)

First thing i'd do is find out if it was cleaned before it was put away. Sounds like this hasn't been used in a while. I would probably give it a good cleaning before refilling it (if you haven't filled it already)

There are many videos on youtube where you can find info. I'd recommend this company They're great to work with and will answer any questions. - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdFDFTd6P1a__tAr8CrpCQ

They have lots of great videos on how to clean, refill, use , store your pen.

I'd get some good paper. I like Rhodia for my fountain pens as there is a lot less bleed. Normal paper tends to soak it up.

Then enjoy the pen. And if you don't love it. I'll take it off your hands haha :)

3. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Thanks. Those videos are excellent.

4. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

How has your experience been with the pen?

5. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

General rules for carry, well the most traditional way is shirt pocket. Otherwise carry it in a pen case in a bag or briefcase. Pocket is another option but with something so sentimental I wouldn't risk it. However you choose to carry, keep it upright and you'll be okay. Congrats on the gift use it, take care of it and cherish it :)

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Never let anyone borrow it. If you do, hold onto the cap --- I wouldn't leave it unattended on a desk unless you have a private office. Actually, I'd buy a new one identical to it and carry that --- my Dad's pen would stay on my desk at home for signatures if I had it (and I've never lost a fountain pen in my life, only lost 2 Rotring Quattros, no other pen or mechanical pencil --- sadly my Dad wasn't as careful and lost his Parker 51).

Rinse the pen out each time you refill it.

Add a pocket blotter to your e.d.c.

Add some Ink Nix to your e.d.c.

Add some ink cartridges or a bottle to your e.d.c.

Add a white candle to your e.d.c. --- if you address an envelope, once it dries rub the address w/ the wax base of the candle --- that will keep it from smearing in the post.

Prepare to answer questions about fountain pens --- for people w/ the right questions / attitude I keep a Manuscript Italic calligraphy pen (which I buy w/ a 40--50% off coupon) in my truck glove box as a gift.

7. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

One other important thing with those Montblancs - they are made of "semi-precious resin". It's very fragile if dropped and can shatter. Get a single-pen leather carry pouch for it and keep it in there when not in use. That way when you drop it (not if), it will be fine.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Very nice pen, congrats!

If you're going to carry it, be very careful, don't lend it out, get a pen sleeve for it, and enjoy! Personally, I'd pick up a nice less expensive pen for my EDC. I currently EDC a Lamy Safari or Pilot Metropolitan. I'm going to be ordering a Fine nib for my TWSBI 580 and start carrying that as well (it's a great pen for $50).

I'd also highly recommend Goulet. I ordered my first fountain pen there a few months ago and have had nothing but excellent experiences since. Pick up some ink samples and some good paper there. I'm also a fan of Rhodia; just wish they'd make a side wire bound dot pad. That'd be my perfect school notebook!

9. robb01

robb01 Empty Pockets

Excellent pen, I'd get a pouch to carry it in, but thats just me

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Agree w/ a pen pouch if you don't find it too fiddly (I do).

Did you get one of the old Mont Blanc ink bottles? They're quite hard to come by (as are the Sheaffer bottles w/ the Skrip well) these days and should be kept / refilled or sold, not tossed.