1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First DSLR

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Jester321, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Jester321

Jester321 Loaded Pockets

Hey looking to get my first DSLR, well kinda second. First one I had was a beat up hand me down that broke after a few uses.

It was a canon rebel xt and came with a EF kit lense. So I'm not really locked into any brand.

I'd like to not spend to much and am definitely looking in the used market. Can anyone suggest a low cost DSLR (sub $200 for body)

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you don't know what to look for it can be tricky to get an honest 2nd hand. Do you have a friend/family member thats into photography or do you have a photorgraphy club anywhere near? It would be best if you handle some brands to see what you like/cannot stand, also having someone who knows the local playing field can help loads!

3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I'd stick with either Canon or Nikon because if you expand your interest by buying additional lenses there will be much more choice and future for those mount systems if/when you upgrade the body again or want to buy s/h lenses (which hold their value much better than bodies).

For Nikon (which I know much better than Canon) I'd start by looking at the 24mp generation cameras if going s/h. That prob means their entry level D3200 or D5200 bodies or later versions as a start point. Those should be in your budget. You might also be able to get a D7000 ('just 16Mp but that's still plenty for excellent photos). The advantage of the D7xxx or Nikon's older top 'consumer' line cameras (going back that's D90 which is about the earliest I'd go for) is that these ones also have a 'direct drive' lens focus coupling that will auto focus some of the older autofocus lenses that didn't have the integrated lens motor. That's quite a big plus if you want to buy s/h older lenses (which often have very very good optics). Some people go with Nikon because of this backward compatibility. I've got a couple of older lenses which are fantastic and I wouldn't be parted from them.

The lower-end bodies (D3xxx and D5xxx) are much smaller in the hand than the D7xxx. Which is a different benefit.

Canon will of course have equivalents but I'm just not familiar with them.

The good thing from your perspective is that camera bodies depreciate in value faster than cars so there are some great bargains s/h which are fantastically capable machines. The thing to remember is that the DSLR technology is mature and very very good so all model updates (certainly the models noted above and since) are now incremental. Steer clear of the photo fanatic forums that might lead you to think that only the latest is good enough. (And that's advice from someone who has just placed an order for the very latest Nikon that's not even available until March but who also uses and will continue to regularly use a D7000 and occasionally a D90 in addition to the current D7200.)

One aside. If you really don't think you will be needing / buying additional lenses then I'd think hard about buying a DSLR at all but look for the larger sensor size ('APS' size) offerings out there. Smaller, lighter and easier. But might be harder to find a bargain s/h.

Good luck and enjoy.

kikissabiz likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What will you be using it for?
    Does it need to be a DSLR?

5. curtis_sx

curtis_sx Loaded Pockets

In order to pick out a DSLR, it's going to be important to note what you'll primarily use it for. I currently EDC a Canon Rebel XS that I bought 7 years ago. I recently purchased a new Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens that brought new life to that camera. For an everyday carry camera a DSLR might be a little much, but I'm a sucker for the quality and ability to shoot in RAW. Most mirrorless cameras let you shoot in RAW now too. I would see if you can find a camera gear store in your area. I have one about a two minute drive from my house and they let me play with the lens on my camera body before I handed over $600 for the new lens. They even opened the test photos on their 27" Mac and let me scrutinize them, they even carry used gear.

Strayz likes this.
  6. Ben Rubinstein

Can I suggest also taking a look at the mirrorless options?

7. Jester321

Jester321 Loaded Pockets

Hey, I am considering a mirrorless option also. I just recently started to look at them and think they might be the way to go. Now just trying to decide which one, lol. I was looking at the Canon EOS M as it is one of the lower cost options. But I am not sure if I will miss having a viewfinder. Every camera I have had before had a viewfinder, except a camera phone of course.

Also was looking at the Fuji X-E1 since it has a viewfinder and built in flash.

As far as why I want a DSLR or a mirrorless. My plan is to use it for general purpose photography, but also landscapes, wildlife, some action. Id like to pick up a wide lense, macro, probably a decent prime and a good zoom lense.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Well, the eos-m is an ok camera but you really want the m3 if you are going that route and that one all of a sudden isn't that budget anymore.

no experience with the Fuji but i know lots of people really love em! Looks good too!

9. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend a used d7000.
    Its not that old and a fantastic camera. I use my constantly and it can take a lot of abuse (mag body)and is waterproof

Since they came out with the d7100 d7000s have dropped in price. Read reviews of it when it came out to see what you get as a lot of camera for the money.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  10. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I have to think that with your plans and wanting to buy on a budget that a DSLR is probably the best fit then. Mirrorless a coming on a pace but the gap between a 3-4 year old DSLR and current models is far smaller than thet between similar aged Mirrorless. It's that maturity thing. Plus there are far more good DSLR lenses around too.

No viewfinder is a big no for me on an interchangeable lens camera. It's fine on a phone or compact camera because it's no problem holding the device 18"-24" from your body to see the screen. Doesn't work nearly as well with a couple of pounds plus of camera and lens and definitely not at all with a decent telephoto. Just need to brace those elbows against the body and the viewfinder to the eye to ensure its steady. And it just gets worse as your eyes get over 40 years old :-(

I've also not liked any Mirrorless for action photography. I've not liked the viewfinder lag on any EVF. I'm sure they will get better but not there yet for me.

11. Jester321

Jester321 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replys.

I went to the store today to check out a few cameras. Handled a fuji x-e1 and a canon eos m. Seemed like great options but not for me just yet so went looking at the DSLR options they had.

I looked at a few nikon and canon, then the shop showed me a nice little package. A canon rebel eos sl1 with a 24 mm stm lense. What a great little combo! So I think I found my first combo!

On a side note the shop was having a sale on their clearance, which is mostly 35mm cameras, lenses, and accessories. I own a canon AE-1 so I got a little excited. Found an old zoom lense in decent shape and a power winder to auto advance the canon. Greatest news is they were $8 total!

12. piranah

piranah Empty Pockets

If you go the used photo gear route, check out KEH. They inspect all their stuff and are known for under grading items. I got a DSLR from them that was listed in good condition, but it was like new when I took it out of the box.

ran23 likes this.
  13. sulaco

sulaco Loaded Pockets

They are all good. Go to a local store and handle them. Whichever one you like the feel of, research it. If it suits you, buy it. I've shot them all, Fuji, Canon, Kodak, Nikon, etc.

14. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Just remember this mantra.

Bodies come and go,
    Glass is forever.