1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First car carry

Discussion in 'Travel' started by thegrouch314, May 3, 2017.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm in the process of buying my first car and I'm putting together a kit for in the car. What am I forgetting? Any advice? What do you guys carry?

For context, I'm in the UK, not doing more than 2hrs or so at a time and know nothing about car engines.

I'm thinking:
    Rescue me or similar
    Flashlight
    Headlamp
    Kitchenroll/tissues
    Wet wipes
    3l water (1l in the front, 2 in the boot)
    Snacks
    Change of clothes
    Spare trainers
    Coat
    Jumper
    FAK
    Small toolkit
    High vis
    Jump leads
    Mini sewing kit
    Gloves
    Hat
    Tarp
    Space blanket
    SAK
    MT

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

A charger/cable for your phone

3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

What's the most likely thing to happen in a car? A flat tire, right?

I'd strongly recommend a small plug in air pump. They will save your bacon more times than you can count! Don't ask me how I know this!

Otherwise your list looks great!

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

THIS! ^^^^^

Charger for your phone, some cash (and maybe a credit card) and a spare key stashed somewhere* on the outside of the vehicle, and possibly an auto club membership. These are the basics, you can build up from there.

* - I was once told by a locksmith to forget about those magnetic key boxes, too many people know to look for them.

Last edited by Blackheart, May 3, 2017
    #4 Blackheart, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I may have incorrectly made some assumptions in responding to the OP. In keeping with the EDCF mantra, I assumed the OP already has:

- At least (1) Tom Bihn pack...in every size, color and configuration
    - No less than (8) Syderco knives
    - (4-5) Madmaxco T-Bolt pens
    - At least (2) FAK's with tourniquet and battle dressings
    - At least a half-dozen (6+) Atwood prybar / keychain type devices
    - A whole gob of Victorinox "SAK" knives...every size and color
    - LM tools in every flavor
    - At least two each of spinners and tops for fidgeting while broken down
    - A keychain loaded up with so much stuff his car always just turns left
    - Minimally at least (2) backup Mystery Ranch and GoRuck bags
    - A full compliment of TAD and 5.11 clothing (including undergarments, pants, shirts, jackets and hats)
    - Oh, and several Skinth pouches (dang, almost forgot them...perish the thought!)
    - Enough TEC clips, S-biners and connect-y thingies to connect everything above to everything else...and then connect all that to his car, house, GF, dog...all at the same time!
    - And lastly, a full dry-suit SCUBA set up complete with GPS and a 12,000lb. winch

<Just kidding of course! :frantic:....well, at least about the SCUBA part anyway...:rofl_revamped:>

Djs105 and Mark_Trail like this.
  6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Carrier bags, at least 3. You'll nip to the shop, take 2 in with you and forget to replace them the next time you go out.

I've saved you 15p there!

7. jomalley

jomalley Loaded Pockets

A good 4-way lug wrench. The one that comes with your car's jack is garbage, and a good lug wrench will make changing a flat tire much better.
    Reflective triangles to put behind your car if your'e stuck on the roadside at night. Alternatively, road flares.
    Fix-a-flat or tire slime.

Joe

8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Okay (well, not really)...as long as you will never (ever) again see the guy / company who repairs the tire after you put that stuff in there! They HATE that stuff, and many tire repair places will give your (flat) tire right back to you if it has that stuff in it (and then refuse to deal with you forever after that). This is why an air pump is so valuable; you can add air as many times as required to get the tire to a tire repair place (and not have to resort to putting Fix-a-flat in your tire). That stuff is like honey with epoxy mixed into it; it never hardens and sticks to everything, but is impossible to remove (from tools, equipment, hands and clothing).

Green slime isn't as bad, but you need a valve stem removal tool and a completely deflated tire to add that anyway, not something you can really add in the field.

9. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Don't cars over there have spare tires? As mentioned get a 4 way lug wrench and get your jack and understand where it attaches. If you have AAA or same over there get it and let them change your tire, jump start you, etc.. Beats getting run over by a careless driver.

10. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Very few new cars come with spare tyres or even space savers. The trend is reversing a bit but it's slow progress.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Visibility devices. Roadside flares and reflective triangles. Also a reflective vest that you can wear even over cold weather coat. You want oncoming traffic to realize you're trying to change a tire don't you? And whilst you're at it, either a foam pad of some sort (think like a gardening pad) to kneel on or a small piece of scrap carpeting. It is absolutely no fun trying to kneel on pebbles etc whilst trying to replace a tire!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Jelerang

Jelerang Loaded Pockets

Aside from a phone charger, the item that gets the most use in my car is fingernail clippers (for annoying hangnails).

13. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I'd like to add jumper cables and 2 wire coat hangers.

14. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

If you have the room throw a camp chair in there. You will be surprised how much you use it.

And ratcheting tie down straps.