1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First Aid Pouch?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by mightywombat, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I'm planning on getting a pouch for my FAK and I'm wondering if any of you fine folks have any suggestions? this pouch will probably live on the side of my Rush 10, if that gives you a idea of the footprint I'm looking for. The pack is about 4" deep there and could probably take a 5" pouch, but that might be crowding things a little. I liked the Condor Tear-Away pouch until I found out that it's four inches deep. That's way bigger than I was planning on! Right now I'm kind of waffling between an FR-1 pouch, despite the size, and a pouch to fit the ATS Low Profile Medical Insert.

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Depends on what size you want to lug around. FR-1 is a good option, and so is a Maxped Pocket Organizer. What ya' looking for a FAK-size?

3. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

4. mightywombat

I think the 6.6 is going to be not quite right for my needs. I like how thin the Rush 10 is so I'm trying to keep all my pouches on the sides for the moment, and the 6.6 is just too wide for that. Thanks though!

5. mightywombat

I have a basic boo-boo kit, and a fairly decent moderate wound care kit. I plan to get an Israeli bandage and some more absorbent gauze, maybe a triangular bandage and a roll of ace. Right now everything pretty much fits into a pint-size freezer bag, though right now I need to do some reorganization. I plan to put the majority of the serious wound care deeper into the pouch and keep the boo-boo kit stuff towards the top. I may actually keep the ready-access stuff like Tylenol and wet wipes in another pouch, and just keep duplicates of that stuff in the main kit. Anyway, I'm looking for something to keep all that stuff organized outside of my bag instead of jumbled up in a zipper bag taking up space inside it.

6. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

no problem, just thought you might like it. the FR-1 is a nice med pouch too, i like the clamshell opening style pouch

7. Prætorian ®

Hmm... I think we have a similar set-up in mind, so let me share what I have:

• Altoids Tin - Basic booboo kit: bandages, a couple of disinfectants, some OTC meds (usual scrapes, headaches, etc), and parts of an AMP3 kit. This goes from pocket to pocket, bag to bag. I think a Micro Org or Spec-Ops BDU Wallet would fit a similar kit.
    • Plastic "lunch box kit" fitting two sandwiches - I have a triangular bandage, a small bottle of alcohol, some 4x4 / 3x3 / 2x2 gauze pads, medical tape, CPR shield, nitrile gloves, and a few more small tools (e.g. tweezers, etc). I always have this and the Tin kit in my bag everyday. Think bicycle crash injuries.
    • Condor Rip-Away pouch - bought this to supplement my CERT kit, contains a similar set up of the lunch kit plus a few more triangular bandages, larger gauze, more tape, cpr mask, a few more gloves, and with more stuff for splinting, open wounds, lacerations, etc. nothing major. I believe this is similar in size to the FR-1 but at a cheaper price :D
    • Last kit is my LAPG BoB - basically contents of Condor Rip-Away Kit + CERT Kit + larger gauze pads (abdominal pads) and a few more tools (light sticks, markers, shut-off wrench, etc). This is basically a built-up version of my CERT kit with a few more first aid materials.
    The Rip-Away and the LAPG BoB stays at the house (or car). The Tin and Lunch Box kit goes around with me. I just chose not to put them a pouch. Hope that helps.

8. mightywombat

Yeah, I haven't covered my get-out bag yet, but there will probably be a considerable FAK in there. Something very much like USNERDoc's "brigade-level" FAK that will live in the car in my GO bag. That will probably be my next project once I get my EDC stuff sorted out. Bags and medical supplies are expensive!

9. Prætorian ®

I got USNERDoc's AMP3 and gre it from there. My suggestion is check for "refills" instead of kits. You get more without the commercial label of a "kit".
    I think we have a link for online FAK suppliers here...

10. mightywombat

I made a list of first aid supplies I wanted to include based on the AMP=3 kit and then took it shopping with me to the dollar store. That was actually a very fruitful trip!

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sup Mighty? I took a shot or 2 (edit: or 8) of my Royal Tiger (Condor) Flyye over the weekend and hadn't posted them as of yet.

Here is the Flyye opened up. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably bigger than you wanted.
    Here's some of the stuff in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mightywombat likes this.
  12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

mightywombat likes this.
  13. mightywombat

Well, I do like the Condor pouch but what I'm planning to do with thee pouch has changed and I'm dealing with size restraints. The Condor pouch is quite good, but I want to mount out on the side of a narrow bag and I think this pouch is just too wide. I was originally going to mount it to the front of the bag but the Condor pouch is so deep I didn't want a great big wart of a pouc hanging off it. It's kind of a conundrum! That's why I'm considering the ATS Medical Insert, since it goes into a Nalgene-sized pouch, which is about the largest thing that will comfortably fit on the side of my bag.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Same here. The Hazard4 Kato is to narrow to have it on the side. Too fat to have on the pals under the flap. The only place I can put it is in the main pocket.

Sent from someone's plumbing using Tapatalk

15. mightywombat

I keep thinking maybe I can carry it in the main compartment, but part of the idea of getting a pouch is to get stuff OUT of the main compartment. One of my only gripes with the Rush 10 is that it is very tall and yet has no organization in the top part of the main compartment. I have been thinking about taking it to a tailor and having them sewloop velcro or PALS webbing onto the upper rear part of the main compartment so that I can use it better. Right now it's just kind of dead space.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I definitely want to see pics of how it turns out, if you go that route. Thats the entire reason I don't like backpacks. They just turn into a bucket on your back.

17. mightywombat

Oh, believe me, if I customize my EDC bag you'll see pics!

18. sublimepatriot1776

sublimepatriot1776 Empty Pockets

I have two Fr-1s. Its a solid pouch, but seems so over organized, which can over complicate things. SAKplumber's Condor pouch looks a lot more simplified and user friendly. Plus it is probably about half the price.

19. Saffa2

Saffa2 Loaded Pockets

ok here's my 2c. I use a condor double M14 mag pouch for my FAK, but, granted, its more of a "patch n solution" kit than a proper fak as youll see. I say this because i really only carry stuff in it to stop leaking from large holes and itcontains no meds. I used the mag pouch because it only takes up 2 columns of molle on my webbing and I can stuff everything i feel necessary into it. Now waht I carry in it is an oleas compression bandage, hemostat clamps, emt shears, latax gloves, cpr mask ,a roll of plaster and a permanent marker. I only carry these in my webbing as it is the life saving part of what is in effect a 3 stage medicalsystem that i follow. I carry a boo boo kit in a cigarillo tin so its nnice and flat yet protects the contents, which contains aspirin, antacids, alcohol swabs, band aids, cue tips and a length of adhesive badage. Then I have my patch n solution kit in the m14 magpouch as level 2 for when im in the field or wheneverGSWs are a risk andthen in my pack i havelevel 3 wch has stuff to make life more comfortable to an injured oerson but wont necessarily save a life. In there I have 2 large badages, another oleas bandage, alcohol swabs, more band aids, traingle bandage, space blanket, ibuprofen, aspirin, immodium( i fear having the runs when in the field) betadine ointment. Im still working on the pack med kit and might add broad spectrum anti biotics and some allergy meds as well as rehidrat and glucose. Boom.thats it from me!

20. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

+1
    I use a FR-1 as well. I like the organization - I am able to put things I suspect I will use frequently (neosporin, tweezers, bandaids) or would need at hand (epi-pen) in front, while less-frequently used items go behind (gauze, clotting agent, etc.). I packed and repacked mine, added and subtracted items, and feel that I noe have a pretty respectable kit. The FR-1 is very adaptable.

Last edited by Highway9, Nov 7, 2013
    vinniec5 likes this.