1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

First aid kits/supplies? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by KDOG, Aug 24, 2006.

1. KDOG

KDOG Empty Pockets

Looking for good online dealer of first aid supplies. Suggestions as what first aid items to EDC would be very helpful!

2. Ian McDevitt

Ian McDevitt Loaded Pockets

www.mooremedical.com has got alot of stuff. Or you can try this place "Boundtree". I have gotten alot of stuff from them also...........as to what I would include, I would just make it a basic boo-boo kit, bandaids, small roll of gauze, small roll of tape.. Prolly the biggest thing I would have in it would be a triangular bandage which you can use as a tourniquet, sling, do-rag, and over your mouth and nose in a dusty or smoky environment. If you have access, you can include the single use size packages of antibiotic and betadine ointment. I would also throw maybe some single dose size packets of immodium, motrin, benadryl, aspirin, and a tums or two. That little "boo-boo kit" should be sufficent. I also secret away on myself one large trauma dressing in my jacket or sweat shirt. J.I.C (just in case) something happens..........

3. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Superglue :)

I can't remember the last time I used a bandage, and would have no need to unless it were something serious. Thus a boo-boo kit is rather impractical. If it's any more serious, than 'minimize blood flow, glue, duct tape' I wouldn't trust myself/have the knowledge anyway (though I hope to take First Aid and CPR courses at some point).

Anything can be used as a tourniquet (my instantly deployable, keychain sling comes to mind). And duct tape is always on me. I should pick up some superglue, and the pain killers/benadryl are probably a good idea as well.

4. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

an AMK Go Kit is a nice really-minimal kit. I swapped out the band-aids in mine for some much nicer NexCare ones and I added a sterile scalpel blade. The whole kit fits really nicely in just about any pack.

5. RoisonDubh

RoisonDubh Loaded Pockets

The Boy Scouts really did a number on me with the whole "Be Prepared" schtick.

OK here we go:

www.supplycaptain.com Carries Primed gauze in vacuum sealed packets, Quik-Clot (for catastrophic bleeding that doesn't respond to elevation and applied pressure), Israeli-style bandages and more.

www.chinookmed.com Another supplier of FAK supplies.

www.adventuremedicalkits.com Supplier of FAK's.

For myself I actually have 2 FAK's. The first is a boo-boo bag for scrapes, cuts, basic meds like benadryl and antacids and OTC painkillers. The other kit is a tramatic bag loving referred to as the Oh S--t Bag. In it are CPR supplies, heavy duty bandages, SAM splint, and soon some Quik-Clot for just in case. I know I tend to go overboard, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

6. kkimo

kkimo Loaded Pockets

For over the top, everything you could ever want in a first aid kit kits,

http://www.aeromedix.com/

has some incredibly complete kits.

Dave

7. Ian McDevitt

Ian McDevitt Loaded Pockets

Ultimately, it's your own choice but I wouldn't use anything narrower than 2 inches for a tourniquet. In my opinion, Duct tape may be good for 1000 OTHER uses, patching bodies ain't one of 'em. The only use for the duct tape would be to keep the initial bandage in place.

8. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

another good source for first aid kits is www.galls.com
    they are a MAJOR law enforcement supplier as well as some SWAT, EMT and search and rescue.

9. billfires

billfires Empty Pockets

Emergency Medical Products (buyemp.com) and Moore Medical (mooremedical.com) is where we buy our supplies for the ambulances at the fire dept. EMP is usually better if you only want to buy 1 or 2 of an item. Both offer free shipping so long as the order is a minimum of $100.00

Bill C

10. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Equipped to Survive has some reviews on pre-made medical kits, as well as a comprehensive list of what to put in your own home kit.

http://equipped.org/medical.htm

If you just need small one-use items such as oral meds, sting relief kits, or burn gel, Minimus looks very promising, although I haven't bought anything from them yet. Cool site though.

http://www.minimus.biz/

11. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

www.emergencyessentials.com

They're Utah-based (have a few brick-and-mortar locations) and they have pre-made kits or individual components. Very good selection and prices.

12. Miffilo

Miffilo Empty Pockets