1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Firesteels, the reality...

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by francis castiglione, Oct 19, 2008.

1. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Your orange array wouldn't be complete without the Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparkie The little brother to the Blast Match.

2. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

3. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

It works pretty good too. It's not built as sturdy as the Blast Match but it does a good job throwing sparks. I was using various firestarters to see how well they would do at starting fatwood shavings. The Sparkie did a very good job at getting the fatwood shavings to light. My favorite firestarter are the Misch Metal rods they sell at www.goinggear.com. They really throw a lot of "spark". Actually, spark isn't the right word for it, more like little molten globs of fire. I love how they sell the blanks as well as various size rods with handles. If I could only take one, it would be one of those misch metal rods from goinggear.

4. xtestifyx

xtestifyx Empty Pockets

The Misch Metal rods do seem like a torch from the videos. I have no hesitation to purchase a few of them as gifts. It might even be fun to make handles for them

5. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I didn't read through this entire thread-but tinder is the magic ingredient-not the actual firesteel. I was able to use to start a fire using a Ron Hood micro firesteel in cold, wet snowy conditions using vasoline soaked cotton...his micro striker is so small, I had trouble holding it, but I still started the fire. I carry one in my wallet along with some cotton/vaseline, etc...

;D

6. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I've got a cherry handled 3/8 X 4" from goinggear. I have been looking at their blanks too. I want something smaller like the "Fox Firesteel" which is 1/4 X 2.5". The site says that it's the same size as the Light My Fire Scout. The blanks are so cheap that I'll probably buy a couple different sizes just to justify the shipping costs. ;D

7. xtestifyx

xtestifyx Empty Pockets

Parawolfe, I found some G-10 Rods from McMasterCarr. They have different OD thickness and ID choices, I was thinking that it may be a good idea to make a few from a 12" rod. That may just be..a good idea.

8. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Wow, I thought I was prepared with my little Coleman magnesium block with built in ferro rod, and some Kleenex in a tinderbox. I am going to try the Vaseline soaked cotton balls tonight with my Coleman block and see how it works. I guess I can tack that UST sparky onto my wish-list!

9. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

That sounds like a good idea. I'm not familiar with Garolite but the specs seem more than adequate. I guess you could always buy the G-10 tubing too, if you didn't feel like boring it out. What do you plan to use to secure the the G-10 to the ferro rod, friction or some type of epoxy? Interesting idea. I bought a couple short blanks from going gear. I will use them without handles and see how that works first.

10. Advil

Advil Empty Pockets

What is a more reliable firesteel? The Lightmyfire kind (looking at the army version) or the Firesteel.com brand?

Looking to get two, one for the bag and one for the car and this is something I'll have to trust my life to in a survival situation which is why i'm asking.

11. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

The Going Gear Misch Metal Ferro rods throw the most spark in my experience. They don't have a striker on them though. If you buy one with a handle you can add your own striker on a lanyard. Or since you are going to have it for a survival situation, I would imagine you will have a fixed blade knife you could use.

12. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Misch metal firesteel is a lot harder to strike thou and NEED a sharp edge, whereas regular firesteel just need something resemble an edge to scrape against. In high stress situations the former may be difficult to use.

13. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Never had a light my fire brand firesteel, but I really like the firesteel.com kind. I don't think they are misch metal, but they can light tinder quite easily. Get the super striker ($0.99) or a kit with a striker because they don't come with any. Also, I really like their magnesium bars. I find round rods are more appealing than blocks or bars.

14. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Here is what I use goes with me everywhere and I always have a trioxane pack handy for wet conditions. [​IMG]

15. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Nice! I'd suggest adding a spy capsule with pretroleum jelly cottona balls to the lanyard. Did you add the holder yourself?

16. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

More eye candy... finally picked up a UST Sparkie. Now I think the blaze orange collection is complete! ;D

[​IMG]

17. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

Crap! I'm bald :-(

18. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Nice Aluminum Spark-lite!

19. gregorovius

gregorovius Empty Pockets

Has anyone bought this? I've never used a magnesium bar. I also wonder if the firesteel is glued or what, since I wouldn't want it getting lost.

20. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I don't think that's a good price. I believe you can get them for $7 at Walmart. I've read of several cases of the firesteel coming off of cheaper brands, (especially when dropped) but I've heard that Doan's magnesium firestarters don't have that problem. They're the inventors of the magnesium firestarter, and make the best one.

Oh, and BTW, you can cut those bars in half with a vise and hacksaw and have two compact fire starters for various emergency kits. :D