1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Firearms pictures thread.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Megalodon, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCtheGB

DCtheGB Empty Pockets

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

The funny thing is I actually have a coupon for a discount on an akai. A few people in my club have apparently given him a good bit of money.

I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a gun right now....since you have to make handloads to shoot major anyway, and I just don't want to.

3. bobmysterious

bobmysterious Loaded Pockets

I was Director of Sales for a while, and you really can't go wrong with something coming out of the shop. You don't necessarily need to build an Open gun, or shoot major. We build Single Stack and Limited guns which will run minor/factory ammo as well. We actually do a good amount of testing with the Freedom Munitions products. Hang onto the cert., Shay will take care of you when you're ready.

moostapha likes this.
  4. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka Loaded Pockets

A taste of what's to come. I am trading away my 229 Elite for another Sig TacOps 1911, a full size this time, with:

Kart NM barrel and bushing, cut and crowned.
    Kensight adjustable rear combat style battle sight
    Sig Custom Shop 4.5# trigger job.

I think I am making out on this deal, pretty well. He was able to snap a few pics for me, but I will get some better shots tomorrow. At this point the only Non-1911 I have is my XDM Compact, which is the perfect 9mm carry gun.

[​IMG]

hawkeye- and Dorian like this.
  5. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

6. Funkybassplayer

Funkybassplayer Loaded Pockets

Carried my Ruger LCR with XS sight yesterday!

[​IMG]

-BTO-

hawkeye- and malraux72 like this.
  7. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka Loaded Pockets

Finally picked up the Full Sized TacOps. Holy crap is this thing nice. I think I made out pretty well on the deal. It was pretty much turned into a TacOps Nightmare just without the rounded butt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mattchef and malraux72 like this.
  8. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Class and beauty. Please do tell..year, make etc ?

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Awesome. I was going to ask the guy who gave it to me if there was an expiration. I guess I should keep it somewhere other than my wallet. It's also only like $100-200 or something, so it's significant but not a deal-breaker.

And I'm aware of what you/Akai offfered/s. They're gorgeous. The guy in question was upgrading his single-stack gun, and while some of the people in our club have some very, very nice 1911s and 2011s and CZs and basically everything else (except the Major 9 Glocks that no one can get to run)....and that thing is kind of in a league of it's own. I've never felt a slide that smooth or a trigger that good (on a pistol; Anschutz and Feinwerkbau still make better rifle triggers) despite kind of jumping in the deep end. He also finished in the top 15 at Single Stack Nationals this year and considers his (also very nice) limited guns to be toys, so it's not wasted on him.

I'm kind of a gear junky in a lot of ways, but I've done the high-level competition thing (though my Anschutzes are collecting dust). If I wanted competition to be my life again, I'd be gunning for the US team for Prone in 2020. USPSA is a fun weekly outing and cheap self-defense training for me. So, my Open Minor M&P with an RMR works just fine and lives on my hip the rest of the time.

If there was a place to actually buy (semi)custom 9mm or .38 super ammo that actually makes major for, say...$400-450/1000....I'd do it (since that's about what the .45acp for my SS gun costs anyway). But....Atlanta Arms doesn't sell their major loads anymore...probably because they're well into +P+ territory. But right now....playing with a press, sourcing the materials, and collecting brass is not my idea of fun. I already spend more time cleaning each week than I do actually shooting in the weekly matches.

10. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

The top one is a Mauser K98k produced in Germany in 1943. It is stamped "bod" on the receiver ring, which I think is the factory that produced it, but a Mauser expert could tell you more. The bolt, receiver and barrel are matching numbers, as is the stock, but a few pieces like the butt plate have been swapped out. I believe this is an original K98, not a rebuild like a Mitchell's or Russian capture. The bolt is remarkably smooth for a Mauser action, and it has a neat little "last shot hold open" feature in that the integral magazine's follower has a bolt stop on the back so that you can't close the action on an empty magazine without manually depressing the follower. The stripper clips are designed so that you can shove the rounds in and then simply slam the bolt forward, which will knock the stripper clip out of the way. I generally don't do that because I have a finite supply of 8mm Mauser stripper clips! lol

The bottom is the venerable and excellent Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2 (F), the Lee Enfield action being the undisputed fastest and smoothest bolt action ever devised by mankind. This particular example has an interesting history which adds to my enormous fondness for the rifle. This is what's known as an "Irish Contract" Lee Enfield. Produced at Royal Ordnance Factory, Fazakerley, Liverpool, England in December, 1953, and was originally destined to the Irish Home Guard. However, it wasn't long after that "The Troubles" brewed up again and the Brits thought it was a jolly bad idea to send a bunch of splendid new Lee Enfields into the hands of Irish Rebels and felt perhaps Canada was a better destination for them. So far as I can tell, this is a matching numbers rifle as the magazine, bolt and receiver all bear the same number. I can't decipher all the markings as I haven't spent the time doing the in depth research. It's definitely well worn, but I like to think of its condition as "beausage," the beauty that is imparted through use. :D

The action is incredibly smooth and lightning fast. The bore is still crisp and shiny and the rifle shoots beautifully. I actually have a fun little anecdote to share of an event that really cemented my love for this rifle. Many years ago there was a steel shooting match at my gun club; chickens, pigs, turkeys, rams at varying distances, with the rams the furthest out at 200m. All shooting was to be off hand. I joined the match on a whim as it was open, and decided to tote along my Lee Enfield, probably because I had the most ammo for it at the time. I walked along the shooting line and saw all these guys with their tricked out single shot competition rifles with 20 power scopes, 2lb triggers, counter weights and the like. I set my case down beside one of these fellows and when I opened it to reveal my well worn Lee, he sneered at it and commented, "You won't hit anything with that old thing."

"Oh?" I said, and just set my rifle on the rack. My turn came first as I was the last bench on the far end, so I proceeded to load and shoulder my rifle, flip up the small aperture sight, set it at 200, and proceed to blast down all 5 rams with 5 shots offhand in rapid fire.

I turned to the fellow beside me with a smile at the shocked look on his face. "Well then...I stand corrected," he said. lol

Jolly good show, as the Brits would say ;)

Last edited by LongarmoftheLaw, May 29, 2015
    malraux72 likes this.
  11. bobmysterious

bobmysterious Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the kind words, I'll pass them on to the Bossman. One of our guys, Jules, is a commercial reloader and stocks those calibers. It's not letting me insert a link, just google JJR Ammo and it'll show up. Tell him Reid says hi.

12. wolfhunter3877

wolfhunter3877 Loaded Pockets

Glock 17, 19, 26, 43, my 9mm family!

[​IMG]

mattchef and Lou_G like this.
  13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.