1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

fire extinguisher

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ssmtbracer, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Does anyone keep one in you car?

2. MacGnG

MacGnG Loaded Pockets

not in the car, but one in the kitchen and basement

3. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heck Yes!! I keep it behind the drivers seat on the floor. It's my 3rd extinguisher. It is about 16" tall, 13.5 in dia. weighs about 10lbs. Dry Chemical for A, B, C, Fires

Previously had smaller more compact units, used them on engine fires. You have to have a good technique when using them, they get spent very fast, thats why I went to a larger unit!!

Yes, I have one for the house also. It's about a 15lb unit.

Get them with gauges. They last for years, but check them on a regular basis

4. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

When I win the lottery and get my dream house built, I won't bother with fire extinguishers, I will just have the entire house divided into air tight zones and have a halon system through the house :) As far as in the Jeep, I used too but moved it in the house, will be getting a new one for the Jeep again soon though.

5. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Oh yes. 2A:10B:C Purple-K, with hose, metal siphon tube, and transportation bracket (with quick release strap) mounted in each vehicle. When I had a truck, there was also a 20A:80BC in a HD bracket in the bed.

Each gets taken out and shaken upside down regularly (about monthly when I check tire pressures) to help ensure the vibration from the car hasn't packed the powder down. Each also gets re-tagged annually by a certified shop, where I watch to make sure it isn't just a wipe and tag.

I've had need of fire extinguishers in a vehicle, and like a gun its a whole lot better to have and not need than need and not have.

6. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Always keep one in my van. Along with extra first aid kits, spill kits, road hazard signs, jumper cables, and a full tool set. You never know what might be just up the road! ;)

7. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Halon = :green: :( I realize you were being somewhat silly but it's worth noting that Halon extinguishers and suppression systems displace oxygen and should not be used in enclosed areas. We had our fire suppression system go off in the server room at my office and we had to clear the building and the FD had to clear the server room with o2 masks and the whole 9 yards because it was a Halon system. It has since been replaced.

8. DSC

DSC Banned

Not trying to be argumentative, but it is INDEED supposed to be used in enclosed areas...just not with any people in there. :)

I've been in a server room where "someone" (not me) discharged the halon inadvertently. It is LOUD, isn't it?! Had to go home early due to a cough that developed from being around it. Not fun.

9. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Yes, a 10 or 15lb ABC version, bracketed so it lays down- which is supposed to help minimize the settling and packing problem, but I turn it every time I look at it to make sure. The bigger ones ain't super cheap, but it is a one-time purchase.

I've been told that the 5lb commonly seen is pretty much worthless in a fire. The nice thing for me is that we can get them from work at a good discount.

I've needed an extinguisher at home twice- washing machine belt froze up and started to smolder, and a typical stupid cooking fire. Now I have an extinguisher in the basement, and in the kitchen, as well as a 'universal lid' (to put over a grease fire in a pot or pan) and a large container of salt right near the stove (salt doesn't burn, so you can dump it on a small grease fire and it will extinguish it nicely, and clean up better than sand.)

What I NEED to do is to replace all of my old smoke detectors!

10. JIM
    • +3 Supporter

JIM Loaded Pockets

Cars are required by law to have a fire-extinguisher on board over here, so my car had a 2kg. ABC-powder extinghuisher.. I should replace it with foam though, since powder will cause electrical problems in the car for years to come after using it..

11. phorsaken1

phorsaken1 Loaded Pockets

Madkins, most fire departments will come install free smoke detectors if you call them. I know because I spend a lot of time on a ladder doing this for our fine citizens. Also guys a good maintenance tip is to turn the extinguisher upside down and gently tap the bottom with a rubber mallet every year or so. This will unpack the dry chemical from the bottom as it sits under pressure all the time. Most good extinguisher companies do this when they retag them. Also a five pound ABC is enough for a small car fire if you know what you're doing. Be sure to check your gauge regularly and retag when needed.

12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Big suggestion here for the uninitiated -- if you are new to fire extinguishers you should check with your local fire department to see if they offer a training session. Car fires and house fires are fast moving things and not the time for "on the job training." For example, untrained use on a flammable liquid fire can easily end up with someone engulfed in the fire!

Using a fire extinguisher for the first time when your car or house is on fire usually leads to even more excitement. The contents are under pressure and if used incorrectly can spread the fire as much or more than it will put it out. Also be aware that they run out a lot faster than most people think (we're talking about just a few seconds). Unused ones don't last forever -- if they are stored and have not been inspected & recharged the contents of some extinguishers will compact at the bottom while others can lose pressure and either will render the extinguisher useless. And so on...

Take the time to learn about them and to actually practice before you need to use one in a panic situation. Most people don't even know how to operate the safety or which handle (top or bottom lever) makes it work. It takes more than just reading the label (and a lot of people don't even do that). On this subject especially it's a good idea to be prepared.

13. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

No, no problems - just throw out the car and replace! :)

14. Warp

Warp Empty Pockets

Hell yes my car has one.

15. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Something I learned from my brother-in-law who has used this technique once. If you don't have a fire extinquisher, as a backup you can use a 2-liter bottle of soda. Take off cap, cover opening with thumb, shake and squirt over fire.

16. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Oh I fully understand how Halon works and the work involved in cleaning up. I was being somewhat silly because of the insane cost. But, if I was evil genius rich, my house would be divided into numerous air tight sections that can each lock and fill with halon. There are good uses for it, and in those cases, the risk, far outweighs the cost.

17. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

o2 masks?

o2 is not used in scba units for obvious reasons........oxygen encourages fire to burn.

scba tanks are compressed air only.

when using any type of fire extinguisher, remember to stay up-wind and sweep the base of the fire pushing the fire away from anyone in the area.

don't discharge your whole bottle at one go, save some in case of a re-flash in flammable liquids or if you missed any flame in ordinary combustibles.

if you can safely de-energize electrical equipment, your class 'c' fire is now a class a/b fire and can be handled accordingly(with great caution)

halon is best used in a completely enclosed area, it works by excluding oxygen as well as disrupting the fires chemical reaction.

remember; get everyone out, call 911 and then try to fight the fire.

fire extinguishers are really only meant to buy time to escape the fire area so don't try and be a hero, burns really hurt.

18. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I have one in the garage right next to the kitchen door and one inside the camping trailer. I had an opportunity to buy some nice 15lbs super cheap but I forgot all about them. A company was moving and had a furniture sale.

19. sig220

sig220 Empty Pockets

Im pretty sure that Halon is now illegal with few exceptions.

20. Dodger

Dodger Empty Pockets

You are correct and even those exeptions require EPA licensing, CO2 Deluge systems are more often used now.