1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Finished my Pry Bar Today - pictures

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Ratslash7, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

I found this forum several days ago. This is my first real post. The thing that really caught my eye was the little pry bars, especially Atwood's stuff. I wish I'd thought of that. I stayed a little late at work the last couple of days and made this:

[​IMG]

It's made of D-2 which is a carbon tool steel that has a high chrome content so doesn't rust as easily as some other tool steels. I hardened it to about 56RC. The little notch toward the rear fits the bits from the Leatherman Surge Bit-Kit. I worry about cranking too hard on the bit holder in the Surge so for tough screws I can use this for more leverage. All the holes are just to remove some weight. I tapped one of the holes 1/4-20. Not sure why. I made the front and side blades real sharp. I'm not sure if that was a good idea.

[​IMG]

I'll start using it tomorrow. I'm sure there are things I'll want to change. My next one should be better. I am looking forward to extensive testing of the bottle opener over the long weekend.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you folks might have to improve this design.

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Nice work. With all those holes, you might call it an "Air Cooled Pry Bar" or "Swiss Cheese Pry Bar." :)

3. IrishLager

IrishLager Empty Pockets

that turned out real nice. the fact that its D2 is all the better.
    be interesting to see how it works out. The one thing i think it
    really needs is a lanyard in that rear hole, so its easier to find in the pocket,
    and would give you a little extra grip surface when needed.
    BTW, What are the measurements of it?
    Nice work, and do keep us posted on its progress.
    J

4. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Hot dang! Looking REAL good- way to make an entrance :laugh: :highfive: And out of D2... not the easiest stuff to work with. Pretty respectable all the way around!

I'm sure you're making a sheath for it?

5. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Great work!

todd

6. iceman

iceman Empty Pockets

That looks really cool!

7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

NICE! O0

Tear something apart with it and tell us how it fares!

8. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Or clamp it in the toolpost and turn/face something! ;D Welcome aboard, and cool tool!

Larry

9. JoeBob

JoeBob Empty Pockets

Man, that looks nice!
    Great work, and let us know how the sharp edges work out.

10. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was just thinking...

If you made a sheath for it that covered the sharp end, yet left the cap-lifter/bit-holder exposed, you wouldn't have to worry about cutting yourself while applying torque to a screw or opening a beverage. Plus, your sharp end would be protected from dings and dents. And carrying it would be a lot easier (not to mention safer!).

11. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

First of all, thanks for the kind words.

Right now I have it on a split ring and hanging from a 'beaner on my belt loop. A lanyard's a good idea but I don't know much about making them. I'm not sure I want a belt sheath but, like Lugsalot suggests, something to cover the sharp end and held on tight so I could hang it from that end and yank it out to use it would be good, if I can figure out how to make it.

The measurements are 1/4" X 3/4" X 3 1/16"

It's early. I'm at work and hoping to have to pull something apart today.

12. JayHawk

JayHawk Loaded Pockets

That's great work. A kydex sheath sounds like what you need.

13. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

People make some great lanyards out of 550 paracord. Search the forums and you should come up with plenty of info.

14. destroythealter

destroythealter Empty Pockets

That is very impressive, good job O0

15. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

That tool looks well thought out. Great job!

16. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

The prybar is working out great. I've been pretty rough with it and "it don't care". The bottle opener shape needs a little tweaking but I normally use my Bic lighter to open bottles anyway. The Leatherman bit wrench has come in handy and saved some trips to the toolbox for a real Allen wrench. I've been wearing it on a 'beaner hanging from a front belt loop. I need to modify this because the split ring gets in the way. The sharp edge on the side "blade" is great for tearing into bags and boxes. I havn't found a use for the 1/4-20 tapped hole yet.

Besides the carrying issue (I'm gonna' reshape the bottle opener tomorrow) It has worked out better than expected. Thank you all for the inspiration.

I've been working on a multi-tool-prybar-thingie. I think you guys'll dig it if I can find the time to finish it.

I'll keep you posted.

17. BUMP

BUMP Banned

Well done !

18. wykeite

wykeite Loaded Pockets

Beautifully made, I've done a couple of things like this, but I really wouldn't tread on anyone elses toes by selling them. Unless of course I come up with something toatally(I was going to edit that sp. mistake but it seems so phonetically Geordie I'm leaving it) unique.

I came up with something many years ago, I was always finding that I had to cut bolts down because I cold never find the right length. I got myself a piece of 3/32 gauge plate, drilled and tapped out holes to suit the bolt sizes I use, then hardened and tempered it. To shorten a bolt I now screw it through the plate, cut it with a hacksaw, back it down to the plate and file the end flat, screw it back in, file a chamfer on screw it back out of the plate. Burrs mostly gone and a perfect lead every time.  ;D

19. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

I hear you loud and clear. Although my main focus is on the Multi-tool in this thread, I am aware that other top notch makers have been making these sharpened pry-bars before me and I am trying to keep my designs unique. I am using more traditional tool steels and will eventually build fixtures to speed up production and keep cost down. If another maker feels that I am even getting close to stepping on his toes I hope he will contact me. I have no desire to be a copy-cat.