1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Finally New Knife Laws Passed in Australia

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Unagi42, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Rusty7s
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rusty7s Loaded Pockets

I feel like my leg is being pulled, so many more options :frantic:

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Imagine you lived behind the Iron Curtain and it's 1989/1990 ;)
    I just hope it will do no harm to the AU (custom) knife makers.

3. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

Has anyone made any overseas purchases since the changes in law? If so, what have been your experiences?

If I remember this correctly (because I can't find the post/thread), someone on another forum has claimed some ZT's have been seized, because Customs/Border Force has classified them as assisted/automatics. The person in question has stated they are non-assisted/non-automatic.

On the other hand, I have found people reporting that their now 100% legally importable and non-controlled knives have sailed through Customs without even being opened/inspected. Some are even saying Customs/Border Force are merely dropping a note in the shipping box, stating they've inspected and cleared the contents, with no signs the original packaging itself has been opened.

Perhaps in the case of the seized ZT's, the retailer didn't fill out the knife models properly on the customs form? Or they put non-assisted/non-automatic's in boxes labelled as assisted/automatic? Or someone at Customs made a mistake? Or the retailer simply shipped the wrong knives? Or the buyer tried to sneak them in? Ah, speculation...

I've actually "rolled the dice", and have a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 on the way, so I'll definitely report back with my experience.

4. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

i recently had a flipper that would have previously been confiscated arrive. it included the 'opened for inspection but ok' notice.

its manual flipper. as i understand anything spring assisted is still a no go. it seems the ridiculous drop test thing they did is gone.

5. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comment.

I doubt there'll be any problems. Although I definitely have my fingers crossed, and might try bribing the universe to align all the planets...

6. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

Let us all know how it goes, fingers crossed just in case.

7. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

So, I received my package today, containing an S110V Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It was shipped via USPS First-Class Parcel International, and took a total of 15 days. Faster that I was expecting, and seemingly no slower than Priority International.

The package (a small box) was 100% intact, and had not been opened and/or inspected in any way, shape or form. The contents declaration as filled out by the retailer said "Spyderco C81GPDBL2 hand tool".

I can only guess that the knife is already in Custom's/Border Force's database, and can be identified during the X-ray process (otherwise what's the point?), along with the Customs contents declaration description? Who knows. Maybe I got lucky? I hopefully doubt it.

I must confess I was not expecting such an anti-climatic experience, but it suits me just fine.

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David, Adahn and TDS like this.
  8. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

Awesome result! :D

9. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

Hi Again. Some more feedback I'd like to share.

I ordered another Paramilitary 2 from the same retailer, and this one too arrived very quickly. 7 days total via. USPS First Class International. I find it very strange that every First Class International shipment I've had has arrived faster than Priority International. Maybe I'm in a parallel universe, but it makes zero sense the cheaper service is faster. Also, I can't help but think the only reason the first package arrived slower, was because of Easter.

The important thing, is like the first, the box/knife was not opened and/or inspected. I'm very happy about that, because I dislike the notion of having things opened up before I get them. There's also less chance anything will get damaged when there is less handling. I can imagine a box cutter being run down the tape seam, scoring the knife itself...:frantic:

So, there we have it. I'm now convinced/confident that if you order a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 from the USA, it will get through Customs/Border Force with the absolute minimum of fuss.

And finally, I'd like to give a shout-out to Robert at National Knives in Michigan, USA. His communication is exemplary, and will even hand-pick/inspect a knife for you. I hope I haven't broken any forum rules mentioning this retailer (I did look though them, but couldn't find anything to suggest it wasn't allowed), but I have zero complaints about National Knives, and could not recommend them enough.

Oh, and this is how well they pack international orders:

[​IMG]

Your eyes are not deceiving you. The box has additional reinforcement, and there are styrofoam peanuts on the top and bottom and sides of the knife box itself.

[​IMG]

I hope my experiences have been useful to anyone else in a similar position, and have helped to ease minds about the new knife laws.

Last edited by 017, Apr 7, 2016
    Daywalker and Heywood Floyd like this.
  10. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the great updates on your experiences. Good to know, and I am sure it varies over there in Oz regarding the handling of Customs. Still, happy to hear your experiences thus far have been without problems.
    I need to send some stuff over to my knifebrother in Tasmania...hope the Customs there is like your neck o' the woods.
    Be safe and mahalo much!

11. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

I believe most inbound flights from overseas land in Sydney or Melbourne, so I'd say they'd be cleared through Customs in one of those two airports. I'm not in New South Wales or Victoria, and I don't ever remember any incoming package landing in or having customs clearance anywhere else (most of the time they go through Sydney). I'd assume anything being sent to Tasmania would go though Sydney or Melbourne first.

I did actually cross my mind that the lack of inspections I've experienced were due to a specific Customs clearance location (both knives went through Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport), but I am almost certain they have a database that can be cross-referenced to the X-ray inspection process to speed up clearance.

Daywalker likes this.
  12. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Roger that 017...again, thanks for the info!
    Cheers from Hawaii and go catch the surf contest they got going on over at Margaret's River...;)
    (If you're into that sort of thing.)