1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Finally got some new boots...

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by gcbailey, Dec 14, 2010.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

I started a post back in February and I've FINALLY got around to getting me some boots. I was really leaning on getting the Danner Mountain Light, but I found a store on a recent trip who carried Alico. I had never heard of them. They are the Alico 'Guide'. They would have been waaaay out of my range, but the store was having a going out of business sale. I'll try to get a "real" pic uploaded.

They boots have a vibram sole, the uber cool red laces and appear to be extremely well built.

[​IMG]

Here's a "real" pic now...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Eskerbillion likes this.
  2. DimGR

DimGR Loaded Pockets

i have had this pair of boots for 10 years or so
    if my memory servers me right , i bought them back in 1995

3. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

so far so good, I hope. :)

4. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

Looks very well built...I love my Danners, though.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

Ya, I really had my heart set on the Danners, but with the price of these I just couldn't pass it up. I was wanting something "old school" waffle stomper types. The leather sides on the Alicos are much thicker and stiffer than the Danners, who knows how long they are going to take to break in. I see your from WV too JWhite, I guess some of these treks and day hikes will let me know pretty quick. :)

6. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

nice looking boots, never heard of that brand befroe,, im a big time danner fan.. mountain lights were my first danners.

nothing has topped them yet..but my danner blackhawk IIs are just as good

7. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

I tried both on, like I said, I had my heart set on the Danners, but these marked down were over $75 cheaper than the Danners, which this store's closeout prices didn't have the Danners marked down much at all, and the retail price of the Alico was close to $100 more than the Danners, if that means anything. Here's Alico's website. http://www.alicosport.it/ According to the salesman Alico's are handmade, limited quantity, blah, blah.... Sierra Trading Post is the only site I've found online that sales them. There are some on ebay too.

The Mountain Lights definitely felt more broke in trying them out. The sides are much softer on them. The Alico Guides sides are stiff, like lumberjack boot stiff... but for ankle support they do feel great. The Guides are also a little taller than the Mountain Lights, which for day to day snow wear is a plus around here. The Guides are also much heavier than the Danners were. I wore the Guides for about 7 hours yesterday and even though they are heavy they are still extremely comfortable to wear. I'm hoping to make them my daily boot instead of just hiking/outdoors only. My Vasque boots have finally started wearing out from the inside out... I've had them since 98, so if these last as long great.

8. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yes i see your boots are not sold many places on the web.. they do look nice and im sure well serve you well..use in the best of health always. thanks for sharing and for the quick little review..

9. SCUBASTEVE

SCUBASTEVE Loaded Pockets

Wow...those are great. I have a pair of Sorrel's which I love, but the soft rubber soles are only meant for snow. I want me some Danners!

10. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

thanks for the wishes!!

11. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Great Looking Boots ! I had a pair and gave up trying to break them in after a year ! My back sucks and I just could not do it... Good luck