1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Filson Weatherproof Leather Original Briefcase - Any Experience?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by 62Tele, Oct 29, 2016.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I saw one of the Filson Weatherproof Leather Original Briefcases today - looked beautiful, seems extremely well made (no surprise). Wondering if anyone has one of these and can offer any feedback? I'm on the hunt for a leather work bag and it's looking like Filson or Saddleback. Would've been Saddleback a couple of years ago if the didn't perseverate on all the damned D-rings (useless to me). Appreciate any reviews of the Filson.

Thanks!

2. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I've handled the Filson leather briefcase and their canvas version.

I also own a saddleback classic briefcase.

For me, size was a big determinant for buying. I can carry 2 full 3 inch binders and a laptop in the SBL. The D-rings can be a pain, and I've considered cutting them off completely.

If size isn't an issue and you like the looks, I would buy the Filson. Personally I don't like the way the leather Filson looks, and the narrow leather shoulder strap looks painful.

I would buy the Canvas version in a heartbeat if my Load-out was lighter. Oddly enough... I'm not a fan of saddleback's new canvas lineup.. The lines are too angular and the bags look unfinished.

Good luck either way. I'm sure it'll be a beaut'.

ArkansasFan30 and WillAdams like this.
  3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the insights. I'm seriously considering the SBL Thin Front Pocket briefcase and a couple of minutes with a pair of bolt cutters, but it irks me, for a bag a this price point, that I'd end up with leather tabs riveted on without purpose. Maybe they would serve to decrease the wear on the bottom of the bag? Sounds like I'm rationalizing. Even reviews on their website has folks wishing the D rings weren't on their bags - not sure why they're not offering their customers a choice.

I just shrugged when I saw pics of the new leather Filson bag, but in person I liked it a lot more. Their new strap has a nice thick felt pad that feels really comfortable and I think compensates for the width somewhat. Love the look of the Filson satchel, but that big cheap feeling latch needs to go for my tastes.