1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

File on the Swisstool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by afultz075, Dec 3, 2006.

1. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

I've been reading some reviews of the Swisstools and i've read several reports of the plating flaking off of the file. Is this a real common problem with the Swisstools? While I mostly use a file for wood and plastic, I don't want a file where the plating is going to peel and chip away. I'm trying to decide between the Swisstool X and RS, and this is my decision maker as the RS comes with a serrated cutter instead of the file.

2. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Speaking only for myself, mine has been in service for years and hasn't flaked yet. I'm not aware of any plating on the SwissTool anywhere. Am I unaware of something?

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have read the same, but I don't know if they are reports from several users or people repeating the reports of just one or a couple of instances over and over.

I bought a Swisstool X because I have more use for a file than for the RS's serrated rescue knife blade. It is an excellent tool, with better fit and finish than my SOG PowerLock or my Leatherman multitools.

Your posting aroused my curiosity so I filed the head and point of an 8d common nail using the Swisstool X file. I examined the file before and after using a stereoscopic microscope and could see no damage or changes in the file.

There is no camera on the Bausch & Lomb microscope, so I captured the following image of my Swisstool X's file using a flatbed scanner after filing the nail. The microscope provided much higher magnification, but you get the idea.

I highly recommend the Swisstool X if you don't mind carrying a heavier, large size multitool.

Attached Files:

4. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

The file on my swisstool(or any other sak for that matter) HAS NOT flaked. :yoga:

5. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

ummm....maybe im wrong, but its leatherman that uses a diamond coating...not victorinox...

6. xxecatxx

xxecatxx Empty Pockets

:iagree:
    Finally someone who loves the swisstool x.

and as for me, the coating (if any, haven't checked) hasn't flaked at all.

7. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Uhm... What plating? :thinking:

I know a lot of ST users and have also extensively used the metal file/saw myself. I have never heard of anything remotely similar to that happening. :shrug:

I could only find a couple of iffy posts on Amazon. One guy thinks the file is made out of steel-plated aluminum :rolleyes:, and another only speculates that the file might chip without any evidence.

What reports are you referring to?

8. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

9. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Get a Spirit if you don't want the heavy tool :)

10. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

The file may chip as it's made out of casehardened steel.. I don't like the SwissTool file at all. It's way too fine for my needs. The Spirit file is excellent though!

11. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Apparently the file is also chromium plated. You learn something new every day...

12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Mine hasent flaked, although I haven't really used it much either
    I love my swisstool, I edc it in an uncle mikes open top mag pouch, I'm not sure which gun its for (prob 1911 mags)

13. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I have two, a regular swisstool and the swisstool x. Both files used heavily at work and no flaking on either.