1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Figuring out and making my ideal leather EDC sheath

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by mcr77, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Hi Fellow EDC-ers,

Greetings from The Netherlands! I have been a member for some time, but have only recently picked up perfecting my EDC again. I have a Maxpedition Fatty with an extended EDC in my briefcase for work, but that’s only when I go to work. I don’t like dumping all the stuff in my pockets when I leave home so in most other cases I’m EDC-less.

I have been looking at hundreds of examples of EDC sheaths online many of which look awesome, but don’t meet my criteria because they are worn on the belt. On this side of the puddle, it’s hard to find someone who knows what EDC means, let alone understand and appreciate the idea behind it. That means that most people will think you’re a (dangerous) moron or work for the secret service if they see knives and flashlights on your belt. Therefore stealth was a main condition for me.

I ended up looking at UWB holsters for handguns for inspiration. However, comfort and wearability with almost any kind of clothes were also a condition. Therefore wearing a Leatherman Wave, Flashlight and CRKT M16 under the waistband was not an option for me either. It seems too uncomfortable and bulging to me. What I ended up with in my head was a hybrid that is worn under the waistband, but leaves the pouches themselves just above it. I had some leather lying around so two weeks ago I ordered some belt clips and started making what I had figured out in my head.

The result exceeded my expectations in terms of comfort and stealth. It is practically unnoticeable if worn underneath a loose hanging shirt, sweater or even a jacket. The belt clips are still very tight, but I can even tuck it under the waistband without using the clips when I’m in a hurry. This is basically my proof of concept and if I’m satisfied with it in the long run, I’ll probably get some rawhide and leather working tools to make a really pretty version.

There’s one issue left. I thought the EagleTac D25LC2 (which I’ve had for a few years and really like) sticking out would not be a problem, but it somewhat compromises the stealth aspect. Therefore I’m looking for advice on a similar flashlight that is a bit shorter. Will create a separate thread for that HERE, to keep the forum nice and tidy ;)

Thanks in advance for your reactions!

[​IMG]

Thijzzz, WillAdams, Ethos and 3 others like this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Sensible idea. That has kind of thinking has been the premise of many IWB handgun holsters.
    If the clips are meant for the waistband, what would keep the pouched items from falling over? I can see this working with kydex, but not plyable leather.

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  3. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Good point! I noticed that during the making process. The base consists of two layers. I have glued a very thin sheet of metal between them along the horizontal stitching which gives it exactly the rigidity it needs.

ItsHardToKnow, 16VGTIDave and 0dBm like this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That's the detail that was missing from your first post.

mcr77 likes this.
  5. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

I had a feeling the first post was too lengthy already :giggle:

It might not be very visible in the photograph, but the sheath is slightly convex so it fits the curvature of the hip. The metal sheet inside it also helps it keep that shape...

6. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

7. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I love it. It looks a lot like mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though mine rides inside my back pocket rather than IWB.

mcr77 likes this.
  8. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

Ive been making and using cardboard and duct tape prototypes specific to my carry and specific pockets. Made this one last night to fit my Tru-Spec cargo pocket magazine partition. Holds a pill vile, small multi tool, tweezers, nail clippers and tooth picks.
    Cheap, easy, custom. Gives me a chance to try out different layouts.
    Id like to start transferring some of these ideas to nylon/cordura sooner or later.
    [​IMG]

RoadWizard, Ethos and mcr77 like this.
  9. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

You can find some pretty nice ones on Etsy.

10. Sabbel

Sabbel Empty Pockets

Could you please elaborate on that?

11. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Hitch and timber, cajun leatherworks, brose design shop, nays custom leather, ivan leather, hiihprodukt, deadskin, ethos survival (which is coincidental to my user name/no affiliation), Ljamesthieman.

All of these are etsy stores that have belt and pocket sheath offerings for multi carry edc gear like knives, leatherman, light, pens, cash/cards, etc and range from leather to kydex.

Etsy's a funny animal when it comes to searches so keep trying different things in the search bar and don't be afraid to "look at related items" when the tab asks.

There are also great carriers made be Cranky Hanks and Hanks by Hand which are cloth and padded. These two aren't Etsy stores but can be found on interwebz.

12. Sabbel

Sabbel Empty Pockets

13. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Also look at Yellowbirchoutfitter on Etsy. Looks like a pretty cool design.