1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Field Sharpener

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dydimus, May 2, 2017.

1. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

I was looking for a decent pocketable sharpener and came across this guy in YouTube.
    Has any one ever tried the Sharpens Best https://www.sharpensbest.com ?

Or can anyone suggest a good fied sharpener?

Cheers.

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

The only thing i sharpen in the field is my axe, i do so with an axe file.

Those things you linked look a lot like pull through sharpeners. I simply can never recommend those.

Why do you need to sharpen knives on the go?

3. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

Just wanted something simple and light to keep with my fishing gear (spearfishing).
    It does have those V notch pulling carbides, I don't like them either. But the sharpener is not really the V notch.
    Here's quick a video (there are lots of them), it seems really good. I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried it.

4. Westerdutch

Great video, but that's not an awesome tool you see at work there, that's just a guy that knows what he's doing. There's a good reason why he sharpens the knife instead of giving the sharpening tool to the knife owner. With skill you don't need any fancy tool just grab your average $5 chinese sharpening rod and if you want something fancy grab a nice whetstone. Both will beat these plastic gizmos out of the water. Do keep in mind, whether you end up buying this marketing swagger or if you decide to go with a more normal free-hand sharpener set it takes practice and skill. Some pick it up in half an hour, others will only be able to mangle everything they try for the rest of their lives.

5. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Don't get a pull through sharpener! They remove too much material and although the edge may seem sharp initially, it won't last long. Also the angle is set, no way to adjust for different geometries.
    I can highly recommend the excellent Work Sharp Field Sharpener though. There you have two diamond plates if you need to repair and sharpen blades, but with regular touching up on the ceramic rod and the leather strop you won't need those a lot.

0880 likes this.
  6. 0880

0880 Loaded Pockets

I also have seriously looked at the work sharp field sharpener. It looks to be a pretty complete sharpening system. Here's one I've seen put out by Benchmade:
    http://www.benchmade.com/guided-field-sharpener.html

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge

toemke likes this.
  7. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Nice! I didn't know they are now making them for Benchmade as well.

0880 likes this.
  8. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I was just gifted a WorkSharp guided field sharpener by a well-known YouTuber and I couldn't be happier. But, I wouldn't say it's for the field.

9. Westerdutch

A work sharp field sharpener isnt pocketable. Might as well gr
    Yeah, this is as much a field sharpener as a spyderco sharpmaker is....

Honestly you get a compact free-hand 'field' device (as small as a pencil) that requires a fair bit of skill or you get a less compact guided system that's more suited for table, counter-top or bench use.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  10. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

True, I wouldn't call he Work Sharp pocketable, but it's EDC worthy in a pack, which I can't say of the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I also think it's more versatile.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  11. Westerdutch

Take a look at the lansky system, if you just bring the clampy thing and one or two rods its also quite compact and doesn't require a tabletop or some form of solid free-hand skill to do a decent job.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

The best thing I have found is just a plain old (short) knife steel. It doesn't have any abrasives on it at all really, just some long grooves. Most times a knife doesn't actually need "sharpened" as much as it just needs to have the edge realigned, and this is what a knife steel does.

A buddy of mine had one made by Old Timer eons ago and it worked fabulously. I looked for one like it for about 3 decades and never found one (all the ones I found had abrasives on them). A while back at a flea market a vendor had one (still in the leather scabbard). It was in a pile of crappy el-cheapo knives like you find at the gas station. I asked how much he wanted for it, and he said it was just "junk" because it was "worn out". Said I could have it for free. I was so happy I gave him $1 buck for it (he was selling the knives in the pile for $0.50/ea.) He was happy, and I was overjoyed! Ran an old Buck 110 I had on my belt over it and it went from dull to sharp enough to shave with in two passes. He was like "How the heck did you do that????" I asked him if he wanted it back, but he honored his deal. (note: of course, I didn't tell him I probably would have paid $20 bucks or more for that thing!). I wish I could find about (100) of those things, I could probably make a fortune on them. They never wear out as near as I can tell.

13. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up this addition to my EDC on my way back from work: Lansky Blade Medic 4-in-1

Don't plan to use the V notches a lot, unless a blade is really dull. The tapered diamond rod and long ceramic edge will probably be fine for emergency on the go sharpening.

[​IMG]

14. Westerdutch

Yeah, its those diamond rods i meant when i wrote about the pencil sized ones. You can get those in all kinds of diamond grits and smooth ceramics. If you have a skillful steady hand and know what angle you have to work your knife then one can get a good workable edge on anything. I for one cannot do this on a knife. Axes i can make less bad, i can touch up a chainsaw but not knives especially the modern steel ones. For those i really need either a guided system or something on a flat sturdy surface with a chair to sit on right in front of it.

15. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

Thanks a lot for the input, guys.

I have a Lansky Blade Medic 4 in 1, I don't quite like it. I can get an ok edge back on my knife, but I still think it does a rough job.
    I don't know, perhaps I just suck at sharpening or I'm expecting too much of those small sharpeners.

edit: I'm not using the v notches

16. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I know this may sound like a really bizarre analogy, but bear with me for a second and I think it will make sense.

Have you ever seen somebody use a computer mouse for the first time? How much space do they need to use it properly, a LOT, right? To move the mouse across the screen they need 2 linear feet of desk. But then in pretty short order, and after some practice, they realize they can accomplish the same thing with a very small amount of real estate on the desktop. Knife sharpening and sharpeners are a lot like this same concept; you have to understand how the whole bigger picture works in order to realize the benefits of the smaller points. So, putting the computer mouse analogy into the context of knife sharpening...you've really got to understand the complete mechanics of knife sharpening and edge making on a full sized sharpening stone in order to be able to benefit from using a small stone / sharpening tool. Like moving a computer mouse, it's the same technique, but just on a much smaller piece of real estate.

I think people forget this when they use some of these small sharpeners. I'll ask them..."do you regularly do that when you sharpen??", and they'll recoil with a grimace and say "No way, not at home, but that's a much different tool!!". Is it really? I mean, why would you change everything about your sharpening technique? At the end of the day, the only way to hone the edge is to get on the proper angle and smooth / remove material to get it back to the proper angle. Same process, just a different medium.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but again (as I noted above), I don't think most times a person has to do anything more than just re-align the edge in the field. They don't really have to "sharpen" a knife (even though it is technically sharper after they do this).

Dydimus likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've thought those knife steels went back to the iconic image of a chef or a butcher sharpening blade(s) prior to dismantling a beef (or other) carcass. If true, this naturally leads me to wonder if knife steels are available in places that supply to commercial kitchens and butchers? Like to know your thoughts.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Yes, they most certainly are (available there). (Heh, and my wife is a Chef actually...oh, the irony) We have a number of knife steels, and I use them regularly. The thing about the one I was referencing was the size. It was small enough to carry and be portable. Most other knife steels are fairly large, and not something you'd want to carry with you in the field. The other thing is, this particular steel doesn't look like a regular knife steel. It's about 4-5" long, flat / rectangular and about 1.5" wide. At first glance it looks like a small sharpening stone, but upon closer inspection it doesn't have any abrasive impregnated onto it. It just has a series of micro-grooves machined into it. They're not as pronounced as a regular knife steel, but they work exquisitely well in accomplishing the same task.

I've often wondered why they stopped making them, and my suspicion is because people didn't understand them and were looking for something with abrasive on it. All of the newer ones I've seen have a diamond dust coating...and they don't work nearly as good.

19. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

Isn't that the diference between honing and sharpening a blade, which means the removal or not of blade material?

#19 Dydimus, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  20. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Yes, honing really just re-aligns and polishes the edge. Sharpening removes material from the blade.