1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Field Pockets

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lancehill, Mar 8, 2016.

1. lancehill

lancehill Loaded Pockets

Anyone have recommendations for an something similar to the GoRuck Padded Field Pockets? I'm looking at options to modually packing my EDC bag, but the field pockets seem so expensive for what they are ($40-60/ea).

Any insight/suggestions are much appreciated!

2. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Have you looked into the Eagle Creek pack-it's?

They have some padded and unpadded cubes.
    I use three of their quarter cubes to organize my loose gear and I love them.

3. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Spec Ops Brand....best quality, still a little expensive but they've been around so long a lot of the novelty is gone so they have some good prices sometimes.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I agree, the padded pockets aren't cheap, but they're very well made, have some internal organization, and when you hold them in your hands you can't deny the quality. Do you need the padded versions though? The "simple field pockets" are less expensive and should be lighter as well. The large and medium bundle is currently on sale.

Eagle Creek makes some great stuff - not quite as heavily built as th Goruck stuff, but I've never had a durability problem with their gear.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

5.11 pockets are not bad and a lot less pricey than the Goruck models too.
    There are endless options too if you consider the Maxpedition and Vanquest and Condor type organizers and all are a fraction of the Goruck prices and offer a whole lot more organization as well.

6. Captain Adobo

Captain Adobo Loaded Pockets

I have both padded and simple field pockets from Goruck. The nice thing about the simple pocket is you can roll/fold it up when not in use and take it out as you need it. I think they only come with one zipper.

I also have a padded pouch from Maxped and those are not that much cheaper than Goruck with less internal storage organization, no clamshell opening, and customer service is not so great.

There is a blog (google goruck field pocket alternative) and the writer goes through several popular pouches that one can attach internally on the ruck.

Good luck on your search.

7. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Curious to hear a little more about your impressions of the Simple vs the Padded Pockets. I bought the set of the padded versions with my GR2 when they were on sale, and will keep them around for more fragile/techy stuff, but for something like toiletries, I find them a bit overkill. What are you finding to be the best uses for both types? Do you find the simple pockets to be as well made?

Thanks in advance!

8. Captain Adobo

Captain Adobo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

The build quality and material is great. 500d cordura, no loose stitching.

[​IMG]

One zipper, handle is not padded, 2x3 velcro field.

[​IMG]

Unlike the padded version, the zipper does not halve the pouch but instead forms a kind of lid.

[​IMG]

Chili is for scale..

Since there are no sleeves or organization inside, the zipper opening makes sense to me.

I use the medium pouch as a toiletries bag and leave it at work. The larger pouch I use to hold a pair of Steiner Binos which I keep in a work bag. The simple pockets have zero impact protection. If I had this when my kids were smaller I would just throw some wipes, diapers, etc in there as an easily transferable diaper blow out kit. The lack of organization inside the pocket forces you to put small items in their own containers, but I find I use these more than the padded pocket.

Pardner likes this.
  9. Amadeus Brown Snivelitch

Amadeus Brown Snivelitch Empty Pockets

I have the large shadow pocket as well, very well made. I usually keep a change of clothes in it stuffed into the water pocket of the 15 L Bullet.

10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed description. Looks like I might need to pick up a couple of these.

11. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Went ahead and got the medium and large simple pockets. They're very well made and seem like a great alternative for packing light and keeping the weight and bulk down. Thanks again for the info.

12. jeepfreak38

jeepfreak38 Loaded Pockets

Check out the pouches from First Tactical. I don't have one yet, so I can't comment on quality, but the price is excellent.

13. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

Kifaru Pull-Outs are what I use. Pretty reasonably priced and very well constructed.

Ken Watson likes this.
  14. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Propper has a pretty nice selection of pockets & pouches. They regularly have sales or discounts

15. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

+1 Came here to suggest this.