1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Field Notes question?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Smudgie, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Smudgie

Smudgie Empty Pockets

Hello,

I am looking for a notepad which measures about 3x5. I like the design of Field Notes, but would prefer something a tad bit smaller. However, I am fine with Field Notes if I do not find something smaller. So my question is.......is it possible to tear pages as I use them from a Field Notes pad? Thanks!

2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Possible? Yes. Practical? Maybe. What is your purpose for tearing the pages out? If you need to write things down to distribute to others I'd probably just carry a small spiral notebook. I use Field Notes and jot down all kinds of things. I like to keep all the pages so I can look back at my chicken scratches to refresh my memory or find tasks that weren't completed.

echo victor likes this.
  3. Smudgie

Smudgie Empty Pockets

Due to what I plan to write in this pad, and the nature of my work, pages may have to be removed and shredded. I realize that the pages are not perforated, however how practical is it to remove individual pages? Thanks

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

The problem with a stapled or sewn binding is that removing one leaf results in the matching leaf at the other half of the book being compromised in its ability to hold. The binding will also become loose as pages are torn out.

Best to get a small notepad which is perforated and designed to be torn off, or a spiral notebook as @Smudgie suggested.

Alternately, get a small Circa/Rollabind/Atoma notebook.

5. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

Do you have Target stores near you ? Go to the school supply/stationary section. Look for the Moleskine ruled journals. I carry these. The large ones are 3-1/2x5-1/2". the small ones are 2-1/2 x 4-1/2". They are ruled and perforated. They won't fall apart when you have to tear out numerous pages for confidential reasons :)

[​IMG]

ThirstyTurtle likes this.
  6. Smudgie

Smudgie Empty Pockets

Looks like this is exactly what I am looking for. I think on the larger book only the last 16 pages are removeable but that is fine. Thanks!!!

Hi-up Lineman likes this.
  7. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Being a stapled book, if you tear the page out of the front of a fieldnotes book you'll likely lose the last page as well. I carry a Madori Passport and I always stick a few index cards in for when I need to write a note to give to someone.

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  8. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried a perforating tool with their field notes? They are only a few bucks but I forgot to throw one into my last amazon order.

Anyway, another option would be the classic hipster organizer: a stack of index cards with a binder clip. I found some very nice/quality gridded cards a while back that work well.

Finally a good many of rhodia's products have microperforated pages throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I will add my voice to those who either carry index cards for throw away/give away or use a 'hipster' organizer (stack of index cards with a binder clip). I even keep a small supply of index cards in my wallet (I edc one of those long vest pocket wallets) for this purpose; always have a Fisher pen in my pants pocket.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ecksdog and WillAdams like this.
  10. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

My bad. My eyesight isn't so good. I carry the larger ones in my pack and have never torn that many pages out. The back pages are always the ones I rip loose if I have to give someone a note etc.
    I carry the little ones daily and rip pages from where ever. never noticed the last 16 only being perfed.
    Either way, they hold up fairly well in my front shirt pocket in the South Texas humidity. Noting like Rite in the Rain books, but I fill them with scribbles and notes fairly quick.

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I somehow suspect that none of the 48-page side-opening format notebooks will help you. I like the format too, but if I wanted to take out pages, I'd want a spiral notebook, and Field Notes, Moleskin, et al, can't completely help - even the moleskin books are only perforated to allow the removal of the last 24 or so pages (those behind the fold).

Sadly, I think you're going to be looking at top-folding books, and for those, in 3x5 format, I'd suggest Rite-In-The-Rain. Here's the link to their page: http://www.riteintherain.com/search?sheet-size=3-x-5

Hope the above helps :)

WillAdams likes this.
  12. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by TiBoy, Mar 26, 2017
    #12 TiBoy, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  13. Nippy Dye

Nippy Dye Empty Pockets

The "Sweet Tooth" edition of Field Notes has perforated pages which can easily be torn out. That edition was released in the spring of 2016, but is still available on the Field Notes web site.

14. Andrew C

Andrew C Empty Pockets

Late to the party as always, but there's a brand of notebook in the UK called BUYBOX. I've only ever bought them from Amazon and have been meaning to do some kind of review on here for almost a year.

They are a sort of mutant offspring of the Field Notes and the Moleskine Cahier pocket notebook- plain kraft covers, pocket in the back - but with more pages (I think), cheaper (around £1 each) - and each page is perforated. Now I've got your hopes up I'll point out that shipping (I'm assuming you're American; you spell 'realise' with a 'z') may end up making them as expensive as FNs and so not worth the bother. Still, they're worth a look.

Just had a quick look on Amazon - they do red covers now, and the 'four pack' (four packs of three notebooks) are £10.99, so they're less than a quid each.

15. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

None of the Amazon UK listings will Ship to USA. I was hep to buy a Boat Load for Perfed Sheets. Dang Left out again. Jim

16. Andrew C

Andrew C Empty Pockets

That's weird. There are some on the American site who won't ship to us, but in general - though it's been a while - I've been able to get stuff from your side of the pond. It's off-topic, but the most annoying is Criterion. They will only ship to the States and parts of Canada. I sit there thinking: Why let me sign up to your bloody newsletter if you won't sell me the films you're championing? It's madness.

Anyway, sorry about that, Jim. They're losing out on revenue. Silly of them.

17. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

The luck of the Irish came through for me. I looked up the BuyBox site on the net. I ordered 10 Pack of 3 sets of the Natur, brown Kraft cover ones. Mz Vivian was back at 5:06, immediatedly , USA Mountain time which would be 6 hours later, IIRC in the UK. Said she be tickled plum pink to death to pack them up and send them to me. She's sending me a total cost tamale. The red ones OOS till July then I'll get 1o0 sets of 3 Notebooks of those. Anyway Mz. Vivian of the eager and friendly BuyBox staff has me all fixed up. Life is good. Thank you for bringing these to my attention.I'm tired of using my little perf wheel to hole punch my FN Books. Have an awesome week, Jim

WillAdams likes this.