1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Field Notes falling apart.

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Lefty923, Mar 29, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I only take notes on paper very sporadically, and not in a very systematic fashion. To not make my notes more confusing than necessary, I remove pages that are no longer applicable. I just tear them out. The result is not pretty, and I suspect my note books will fall apart eventually. Have a bunch of small RITR that I use for now, but for the next round I should either improve my note taking to not require removal of pages, or find note books that are prepared for it.

2. Nippy Dye

Nippy Dye Empty Pockets

Field Notes Sweet Tooth edition released in the spring of 2016 had perforated pages which allowed sheet removal.

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

True , but they were a "one-off" and are not currently available on their website.

4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I used to do something similar, but recently I've changed my method. It occurred to me that taking notes or filing is a cost. The value is only derived if you look up what you noted or retrieve what you filed. Now I number my pages and use a couple of pages at the front of the notebook as an index to make retrieval as easy as possible. This also allows me to "thread" notes on a topic (adding "cont'd on page XX" and "cont'd from page XX" as needed). A bit early to tell whether it'll be worth it, and the method wouldn't suit a lot of people.

Going back to your remove-when-no-longer-applicable method, I'm sure I've seen notebooks with perforated pages, but I'm damned if I can remember where! (Sorry!) Might be worth looking around.

[EDIT] I really should read the posts immediately above mine, shouldn't I?! :rolleyes: Sorry, both!

However, Silvine Originals Pocket Notebook are about the right size and perforated. There's also the Berlin Notebook, though only the last 8 pages are perforated. [/EDIT]

I wish you success with whatever method you use.

Last edited by PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 29, 2019
    #24 PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Gotcha.
    "Not applicable" might not be the best description of the condition that will make me remove old notes.
    I should have mentioned that my primary note taking happens in the digital domain. Not very classy, but hey, it works.
    I just make notes on paper in a a few situations where it's more practical, and I usually digitize those notes at a later time. At that time my paper notes become "not applicable" and removing them helps me keep track of what has been digitized.

Sure, there is a cost to taking notes, but there is often a cost to not taking enough notes as well. Finding the most practical and cost effective system is a good way to ensure that you make those crucial notes, and are able to retrieve them and make sense of them. For me this is still a work in progress, so I appreciate others sharing what works for them!

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I think our work patterns are similar - I use Evernote with a notebook for backup.

Maybe I'll give your system a try!

aicolainen likes this.
  7. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

The reason I asked about tear-outs is the other day I pulled up to a fire scene and the incident commander told me to go interview witnesses for hazardous materials. Afterward, I handed him my notes.

I'm on the company Emergency Response Team (kind of like a fire brigade) and this was a pharmaceutical plant. I have a Leuchtturm 1917 but I stopped carrying it in my pocket because I sweat on it too much. It was in my briefcase in the car, not in my turnout bag. I want to put something in my turnout bag and potentially in my coat.

I wonder if you could tear out a page in a FN Expedition with a straight edge rather than cut it.

8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Do ya not carry trauma shears on ya when responding?

I know all of our carry is different but I'm a first responder and carry a pair on me when I go out. I've used them before when I want to tear a page out but have it look better than just ripping it out.

9. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I don't actually because we don't have any medical stuff with our gear. We do have these things to cut off Class A suits that are like a seatbelt cutter. I could use something like that.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Another possible approach would possibly be to have maybe a small deck of 3 x 5 index cards possibly in some sort of slip case in your pocket; I'm thinking a case that is plastic of some sort; married up with say a Fisher space pen (not the one with a removable cap but one of the clicks sort or even an ultra fine Sharpie? Or a pencil?

Just some thoughts.

L'chaim and best regards!

Moshe ben David

Inner Prop likes this.
  11. ambrdrgn

ambrdrgn Empty Pockets

You could get a small rotary perforator and make your own perforations.

12. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

Rite in the Rain makes something exactly like this. I have not been able to purchase from my preferred vendor yet, as they always seem to be out of stock.