1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Field Notes falling apart.

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Lefty923, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Lefty923

Lefty923 Loaded Pockets

I like Field Notes but I find the regular ones tend to come apart in my back pocket even in a leather cover. I haven't tried the Expedition version. I've been using the Rite in the rain Mini notebooks but they are pretty small and not a lot of pages. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

Expeditions are pretty much bombproof.

Lefty923 likes this.
  3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

In my experience the pitch black edition covers tend to be a bit more durable than the brown craft ones. I don’t know which you have been using but that has been my experience.

Your mileage may vary.

Lefty923 likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The Expedition is the sturdiest of their notebooks,..the writing experience will be different, though--if that even bothers you. The Rite-in-the-Rain books are at least as sturdy if not moreso, as you already know.

Lefty923 likes this.
  5. jdmurphy

jdmurphy Empty Pockets

I use the field notes cover from recycled firefighter. I like the one that is made from zodiac material not the firehose. I use it as my everyday wallet too. I write from the outside (front and back) to the inside and then tuck the used pages into the wallet. Works pretty well for me. Unlike other wallets, the front and back tuck into the wallet.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ecksdog likes this.
  6. Lefty923

Lefty923 Loaded Pockets

I had one of those for a little while. The rubbery texture was a problem getting in and out of my back pocket. A good cover though.

7. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

I think the "small" Hard bound write in the rain will still fit in your back pocket, though likely not as comfortably as field notes. They will hold up very well, though I think sitting on anything while in your back pocket it will subject things to forces they are not designed to deal with.

Anecdotal story of mine;
    I have been using a Write in the rain hard bound "standard" (medium) sized book as a field book for years, I work outside, and am very hard on gear just due to the nature of the job (Oil and Gas Business in steep rugged terrain) and require detailed notes. They hold up fantastically, as I once dropped a notebook down a steep hill side and when it came to rest at the bottom, it submerged itself in under about about 4" of nasty winter run off and rain fueled mud. Once retrieved and scraped off, I took it back to the room and rinsed it off in the shower and let it dry for a couple of days on the heater. It was mud stained but still legible and used it for the rest of the job once dried out. Before I stared using the Write in the rain, I used a standard Surveyors note book, (normally acquired from one of the survey crews) and I will say you leave that out in the rain even 1 time..... Even written in pencil your lucky to save it.

TNRat and Lefty923 like this.
  8. Lefty923

Lefty923 Loaded Pockets

Yup, they are tough as hell. This one went through the wash cycle and came out a little crumpled and damp. Still legible. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I have both the Rite-in-the-Rain and Field Notes Expedition in my personal stock. I like the sizing and lines on the Rite-in-the-Rain better, in general. I can also recommend the Weather Max pads, but I find their sizing somewhat odd.

Lefty923 likes this.
  10. docmeade

docmeade Empty Pockets

The Yuppo that the Expedition Series is printed on is fairly durable as long as it doesn’t get cut. The thinner Yuppo stock that the pages are made of is a bit more flexible, but will only accept pencil and oil-based inks- FP ink, most gel inks, and alcohol inks (felt tips) are no good. I’ve had luck with Rhodia or Mnemosyne paper with a Craftex cover (saddle stitched if you have the patience). Make sure you get the Craftex that is NOT pre-washed. The only downside is that Craftex is not acid free, if you plan on keeping your books long-term. I have soaked them in bookbinders’ buffer solution, but that gets a bit expensive. You can probably tell I’m a bit of a nut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Actually Sharpie works great on the Expedition..both pen and marker....not sure about other felt-tip types like Flair, however. You are correct about gel & FP (and rollerball, too) not functioning well. Here's a link to a review and it pretty much dovetails with my actual testing:
    https://www.penaddict.com/blog/2012/12/20/what-is-the-best-pen-for-the-field-notes-expedition-edition
    If you scroll down to the comments, you'll note that a couple of people tested Sharpie and Micron pens with good results.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  12. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

Zero Field Note experience. Im a Rite in the Rain fan, but only recommend the bound models if you require durability.

13. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

How about tearing out pages? Which does better if you need to remove a sheet for some reason? Please.

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

None of the Field Notes are designed for sheet removal...not sure why they haven't at least offered one edition that did. For anything that requires sheet removal, Amazon offers a 3.5 x 5.5 vertical format similar to the Field notes that has perforation....but it's not any more durable than the standard Field Notes. Rite in the Rain offers a notebook in vertical format with detachable pages, and it's very durable, but considerably thicker. I'd love a vertical format Expedition (or RITR) that was thin with detachable pages, but such does not exist currently, that I'm aware of.

15. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I carry 4.5x3.25 mini composition books with 160 pages in a cover I made. I tried the RITR and field notes. They are fine but IMHO way overpriced for what they are. I pick up a pack of 3 of these at the dollar general for $1 and the 5 years I been carrying them aint had one come apart in my canvas cover.

They are normal paper, rip out, and not waterproof. In the 10 years I been carrying a notebook I came not remember one time I needed my notebook while I was swimming tho.

Last edited by neo71665, Sep 25, 2019
    #15 neo71665, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Seems to me the principal problem with just ripping out a page from a Field Notes or the like is that at the least two physical pages come loose from the binding - the page you want and its mate on the opposite side of the notebook. Do enough of this and the entire bound structure is impacted.

BUT. Unless I'm just assuming too much, virtually all of us here on edcf always have at least ONE blade on our person. So instead of just ripping a page out, I'd just slice off the page wanted whilst leaving a remnant of the page still bound in place. The mated page on the opposite side of the book would thus not be affected and the overall binding structure would not be degraded.

Just have to slice carefully so as not to cut the cover nor other pages. With a sharp blade and some caution, how hard could that be? ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Inner Prop likes this.
  17. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

An alternative to consider is BackPocket Notebooks. I carry either one of those or a Darkstar (unfortunately no longer in production) in the thigh pocket of my trousers and they seem to survive quite well.

As for ripping out pages, I try to avoid it by putting five or so square Post-Its inside the front cover to use instead. I keep a few of the little 3M bookmark thingies in there too.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Me either, but I've lost count of the times I've needed to use one in the tropical rainforest that is North Texas.

neo71665 likes this.
  19. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

South central arky here so most likely near the same latitude and still have managed to not need waterproof paper working muddy construction sites. Everybody is different.

20. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

Mine usually gets wet from sweat in my back pocket, not necessarily from rain, etc.

I got a waxed canvas cover which I use days/places I know that I am gonna get sweaty. Otherwise I prefer to not use a cover because of the extra bulk.

I use Field Notes, BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inner Prop likes this.