1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fewest Items, Lightest Weight, Most Functionality

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Rawls, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BCountryTrekker

BCountryTrekker Loaded Pockets

O0
    Performance is where the rubber hits the road! The smallest, lightest, prettiest tool is worthless if it can't get the job done. But...you can't always lug around a huge tool chest so compromises must be made. Personally, I feel that a LM Squirt is just too small for me as a MT - as far as daily functionality is concerned.

MT: LM Juice KF4

Light: ITP A3EOS uprgraded

Knife/Scissors: Kershaw Two-can

Pry/Wrench: Pocketwrench II

Watch: Seiko 5 Automatic

Tweezers: Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers

Fire: bic lighter, firesteel

Blackberry phone

Basic Wallet/Keys - cash, cards, and only 3 keys.

FAK lives in the truck.

2. emt1231

emt1231 Loaded Pockets

I believe in the bare minimum. My pockets have:
    benchmade mini grip 556
    my wallet (thicker then I want I only carry in my front pocket)
    my lg optimus phone
    keys with a sak classic (also in pocket with wallet)
    contact eye drops or chap stick

That's about it for my carry was thinking about putting an oxygen key on my keys for work but I can't find one small enough an that pocket is almost out of room

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It is all a balancing act of getting a tool that is sturdy enough to perform its task, while being light enough to be easily carried.

For example I carry a Victorinox cadet SAK - I find it a lot tougher and more capable than one of the smaller 58mm knives and so worth the extra weight, while something the next size up like an alox soldier or spartan don't really give me too much more for the extra size (for my personal needs of course)

I also like to go for a modular system - I have the absolute basics that live in my pockets 24/7, then I also have the stuff for 'when I leave the house', 'when I will be travelling far on my own' or 'when I go to work' or any of the other places or tasks I have to attend to.

At a bare minimum I will have on me:
    Victorinox cadet
    Fenix LD01
    Fisher space pen + pad
    Watch (usually a Citizen BN0000 diver, but it can vary)

All chosen for being my ideal compromise between size, weight, function and price.

As soon as I leave the house you can typically add a wallet, camera, phone and keys too.

sungame likes this.
  4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

My bare minimum load out:

1. Small card wallet bought at the French Market in New Orleans ID, Cash, AAA, Starbucks card etc.
    2. Boker Plus M-type
    3. Leatherman Juice S2
    4. Surefire 6PL
    5. Citizen Titanium Calibre 2100
    6. Spy Optical Cooper Sunglasses
    7. Star Firestar M45 Subcompact
    8. Spare Magazine
    9. Verizon Motorola Droid X (My Tricorder)

There have been very few situations I could not resolve with these tools.

5. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I've recently been playing around with a minimalist version of my EDC, since sometimes it's just nice not to have to worry about a ton of different EDC items, carrying them and trying not to lose them.

Here's my latest minimal EDC:

[​IMG]
    Containing:
    -Keys (2)
    -4Sevens Preon ReVO AAA flashlight in Stainless Steel
    -Super-Talent Pico-C 16GB USB Flash drive
    -Victorinox Cadet in Red Alox
    -Slim card sleeve with the 4 cards that I need to use regularly. The sleeve is a handmade leather item I picked up from someone on Etsy.
    -Nokia 5310, extremely slim phone
    -Zebra F-301 pen

This stuff provides a surprising amount of capability without much to carry.

Frankly, on 95% of days, I could get away with dropping my USB flash drive, flashlight, one of the keys, SAK, one of my cards and the pen - if I was an obsessive minimalist - but it's not worth it to me to try and get any more minimal than this.

Most days I'm carrying more than this, but I would carry a combination like this if I was short on pocket space or just couldn't be bothered with dealing with more stuff that day.

sungame likes this.
  6. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

After about six months of carry I have gotten my "comfortable" carry to this:

Leatherman Squirt PS4 (the knife is fine for most everyday tasks, though if I am going to the lumberyard or doing home improvements/woodworking I use a Skeletool CX)
    Muyshondt Aeon
    Wallet
    Phone
    Keys with car, house, work key

Watch is not strictly necessary with a phone. I don't carry a pen on the weekends because, much to my dismay, every store I go to now has one of those digital signing pads. The other good thing is this is all very discrete to carry.

7. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I've got both a Leatherman Squirt and a Muyshondt Aeon on their way to me in the mail, so my minimal EDC is going to look very similar to yours soon. Very nice gear choices.

8. Shadow213

Shadow213 Empty Pockets

I posted in the 10 things thread, but if I had to go as light as possible my list would be;

Spyderco Military---Lightweight, G10 handled, 4" blade(4.25 oz.) with fine tip for delicate work
    Leatherman ST300---not light to say the least, however, it can handle a myriad of tasks
    Arc AAA LED on keychain
    BlackBerry w/weather app and gps

9. stm

stm Loaded Pockets

10. kareem2357

kareem2357 Loaded Pockets

multitool: minichamp
    pen, light,sknife,"scalpel" knife (since there alot of people here including myself like to have two blades on them , i know its the same body but its still two blades), and screwdrivers, "wire cutter"...

11. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

My minimal edc:
    Keychain with Apartment key, inka or VC pen, photon freedom
    Knife: Benchmade 530
    Wallet (with some folded up paper) + phone (motorala f3)

I once went into the woods at night to simulate a total blackout and was surprised how bright a photon light is with dark adapted eyes. I have fancy lights but think of them as photons with really long battery life, since that amount of light (10-20 lumens) seems to be sufficient for all of my tasks.

12. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

1. Wallet
    2. Watch (rarely leaves wrist... pictures are of watches not being worn)
    3. Cell Phone
    4. Keys (made up pf a carabiner SAK Officer and keys... could trim down and remove the carabiner but I like knowing my keys aren't going anywhere)
    5. Wedding ring (never leaves finger)
    6. Pen

At the end of the day those that I remove from my person get stored here (phone stays with me throughout the day):

[​IMG]

The only thing I have thought about adding is a flash light but I have one in my car, desk at work and in pretty much every room of the house so I dont really have a problem finding one. I've got other stuff that I'd like to carry (Gerber knife/Leatherman), etc. but I dont have a need frequently for these items.

13. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

my svelte edc

Spyderco H3 ladybug/kydex sheath, Photon light, St Christopher medal- 1.2 oz
    Ragged Edge wallet, credit/debit cards, ID, package of Steri-Strips- 1.3 oz
    St Moritz Titan II Chrono w/ nato band- 1.4 oz
    Motorolla Barrage- the only pig @ 4.3 oz (it is a rugged phone :))

[​IMG]

14. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

My absolutely every single day carry is pretty minimal:

Vic Manager (knife, pen, screwdrivers)
    Quark Mini CR2
    Phone
    Wallet
    Keys

But I usually add, sunglasses, a hanky, and an actual pen as as needed, still looking for the right knife.

15. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I usually don't carry much anymore but I do generally keep my colossus in my truck with first aid and other stuff I think I may need

1 Surefire EWP IV (love it)
    2 Spyderco Para-military 2
    3 lately a 4sevens mini 123 (I'm mad at my sf defender because it put a hole in my jeans)
    4 wallet, keys

Crappy not updated picture:
    [​IMG]

And of course my wedding ring but that never comes off my finger

16. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I guess my standard EDC for urban/semi-urban environments would be considered almost irresponsibly minimalistic by quite a few forum members:

-Wallet with cards
    -iPhone 3g
    -Citizen Marinaut watch
    -Keyring with Fenix E-01
    -Leatherman Style CS

To maximize the feature to weight ratio, I would only do a few smaller changes:

-Wallet with cards Smaller card only wallet (I hardly carry much cash anyway)
    -iPhone 3g
    -Citizen Marinaut watch
    -Keyring with Fenix E-01
    -Leatherman Style CS Leatherman Micra

17. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I wonder how I manage without most of those things. I have nothing electronic that I carry around. I prefer to be unreachable. However, most of my time is spent not on the go but on the stop. I'm surrounded by things displaying the time. There's a phone here that I use about once a month. It also displays the time. So I don't wear a watch. I have a box of knives but I don't carry one. The ones small enough to carry conveniently are easy to lose and anyhow, I never used them for anything. My father always carried a knive, too, and actually had a job where he was always tying things up in bundles with this rough cord. But he didn't cut the cord; he had a way of twisting it around his hands and he'd just pull it in two.

I have a multi-tool, also. It's in the car, where it's more likely to be useful. But while the multi-tool has a lot of functions, it does none of them at all well. So most of the time if there's any possibility of a particular need for any tool, I carry that tool. Not the biggest version but the one that works best. On my old Svea stove, you refill the tank by removing the cap. It is difficult to get off, so I began carrying a small pair of slip-joint pliers just for that purpose. It weighs less than a Buck folding knife and works better than anything. When I'm out and have that stove, I never have anything along that takes a screwdriver, needs fiing, bottles that need opening and so on. But the pliers had a purpose.

18. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

I'm a photographer, who mostly works from home the majority of the week.

Keys: (house, studio, car) with LM squirt ps4, Fenix eo5

Knife: Vic sak compacter

Watch: Wenger commando day date

iPhone 4

Wallet

If I bring a bag around: notebook, headphones, caran d'ache mechanical pencil, caran d'ache ball point, Lamy Safari fountain pen.

When I'm out shooting, this load out changes exponentially.

19. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Lightest for me might be this...
    1. Glasses
    2. Wallet - just cards and cash, nothing fancy
    3. Cellphone - doubles as clock and notepad, can double as light source, but I preffer a dedicated light
    4. Keys - Fenix E01 light and Vic classic SD
    5. Vic Tinker - GITD scales

[​IMG]

But then I'm usually carrying a bag, so the loadout grows...

Talus likes this.
  20. Talus

Talus Loaded Pockets

^^ You like rubber duckies huh? :D

Dok J likes this.