1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fenix TK41 - getting a grip?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Blackheart, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I'm tempted to pick up one of these: Fenix TK41
    I have a soft spot for 4 x AA lights.

Anyone have any thought on how one might put a rubber or foam grip on this light?

The grip would serve two purposes: To make it more visible (yellow or lime green color would be nice) and, since this light will be sitting out in a vehicle in the cold, to make the light a little more comfortable to hold without gloves.

The problem would be that it appears the rectangular cross-section of the body flares at the ends, so any sort of tube would have to have a much larger inner diameter than is necessary to go around the rectangular part in order to get past the flared ends.

I've already looked for some brightly colored, heavy duty, heat shrink tubing and came up empty. There's also Plasti-Dip, but I doubt I'd be able to get results that I'd be happy with.

Any other ideas?

BTW, here is a review of the light at CPF. Sounds like it's much better built than Fenix's previous attempts at a 4 x AA light.

2. silent_vengeance

silent_vengeance Loaded Pockets

You could wrap it in brightly colored 550 paracord. I know it's not made of rubber, but it may yield the results you're looking for.

3. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Stretch an inner tube over it? Or heat shrink, many colours to choose from and some have heat activated adhesive inside so it won't budge when cool.

Edit: I see you've looked at heat shrink but for what it's worth that's what I would use.

4. Blackheart

DUH [self-administered dope slap]. I hadn't even considered that! Still, something rubbery would be preferred.

5. Blackheart

I KNOW I've seen some thick-walled heat shrink (with adhesive, even) SOMEWHERE, but I can't seem to find it. Got a link?

The inner tube idea isn't bad, but they come in a Henry Ford palette of colors (black).

6. Blackheart

double post - excuse please

7. OldAlleyCat

OldAlleyCat Loaded Pockets

8. Blackheart

I've been to that site many times, but never ordered either. I'll give them a look-see.

9. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

10. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

D'oh, found them but for me they give prices in GBP so I assumed they were British. This Internet thing is getting too clever.

11. Blackheart

Just a quick post to thank everyone for the replies and to say that I just placed an order for the LD41 (light, 4 x AA NiMH batts, and charger for $70 through Newegg).

Once I have the light in my grubby mitts, I'll have a better idea of what size of tubing I'm going to need. I'll post pics if I come up with something presentable.

silent_vengeance likes this.