1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fenix PD35 Tactical

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by crinko, Feb 12, 2018.

1. crinko

crinko Loaded Pockets

so I decided to break down and purchase a flashlight and after watching videos on YouTube I decided to go with the PD35 tactical version. If you have one how do you like it ? I can’t wait to get it and test it out !!!!!!!!

dml24 likes this.
  2. BillyFred

BillyFred Empty Pockets

Love it. Using the Felix 18650 batteries with a Nitecore charger. I work deep nights and it gets used a lot. Seems like its a couple of years old and hasn't missed a beat. Right size for easy carry and really bright.

3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I don't have a PD35 but I have the UC35 which is very similar but has a built in charge port. I love it for a EDC bag light, and mine has held up to quite a bit of abuse. A common misconception is that the UC35 is less waterproof because of the USB charge port which isn't true.

All in all you made a great choice, the PD35/UC35 are great lights which will serve you well.

dml24 likes this.
  4. ty_higg

ty_higg Loaded Pockets

Iv had one for about 2 years now and I absolutely love the light. Great output settings and really good battery life! I'm running mine with the Fenix 18650s also highly recommend them so you don't have to continue buying batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dml24 likes this.
  5. crinko

crinko Loaded Pockets

Thanks for you info and feedbackguys, I’m thinking on getting some rechargeable batteries in the near future. this is going to make a great addition to my EDC

6. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

Congrats on your PD35 Tac. :) You mentioned getting some rechargeable batteries. You'll also need to get a charger for those batteries. As far as batteries go, there are plenty of good ones. The main thing is to stay away from batteries that end in *fire. Some of the 18650 batteries claim wild mAh numbers but don't deliver. If you can find some good 3400-3500 mAh batteries, you should be fine.

I personally like the protected cells in my lights but I know a lot of people prefer unprotected. The protected ones usually offer overcharge protection, overdrain protection, and a few others. The unprotected ones are just the straight batteries but if you're careful and don't run them down too low, they'll work just as good. Other people on here can give you much better and more detailed info on protected vs unprotected 18650 cells. The unprotected Panasonic 18650 cells are more affordable than the protected cells. The protected ones you can usually get a pair for $25-30. Orbtronic, Olight, Fenix, Keeppower, and Eastshine are just a few of the companies that sell 18650 protected cells.

As far as chargers go, the Xtar chargers are very nice for the money. Nitecore also makes some nice ones as well. Whichever you decide to go with, try to get something that will also charge larger batteries, like 26650. You may not have interest in them now but as more lights adopt that battery size, you may become interested. A charger that will charge those as well as your 18650's will just put you a step ahead in the game and make it so you don't have to buy another charger. Good luck and I hope you continue to enjoy your light and get some good batteries and a good charger. Take care and keep us updated!

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  7. ty_higg

ty_higg Loaded Pockets

Also I recommend the nitecore intelicharger super cheap but really amazing value for the 12 bucks I picked mine up for on amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have a PD35, but I more often use the stumpy bigger reflector of the single 18650 Nitecore MH20. The PD35 is...worthy but dull. The form factor is a but strange. It has proved reliable but the side mode button is difficult to locate by feel. It is quite a warm tint.

tbzbbt

9. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I like mine but don’t carry it as often as I thought I would. I’m not a fan of the secondary UI on the side to change modes. YMMV.

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  10. Clown

Clown Loaded Pockets

I also have the UC35 and have been happy with it. I went with the UC because it's my only 18650 light and with the built in charging port I didn't have to buy a separate charger. I just use my phone charger

11. Demande simplement

Demande simplement Loaded Pockets

Just got the Camo version not to long ago.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Demande simplement, Apr 3, 2018
    #11 Demande simplement, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    RED-FIVE likes this.
  12. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

I've got the PD35 Tac but I much prefer the Nitecore P12. The only thing I like better about the Fenix is that it has 5 brightness levels while the Nitecore has only 4. Both are really to big for me to carry every day so I carry the Fenix LD12, fits in my back pocket.

dml24 likes this.
  13. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

The side button, for changing modes, was a feature I actually liked a lot, in my TK15 and TK22 lights. Rock solid lights; but I favor more neutral tints, for most of my uses.

[​IMG]

I still have those Fenixes, and they're still going strong. They just don't get as much use as they used to.

If they made a PD35, in a neutral tint, I'd be all over it.

dml24 likes this.
  14. david57strat

Congratulations on your new purchase! Fenix make a very solid light. It should serve you well, for years to come.

Enjoy :)

15. david57strat

Fenix make a light with a warm tint? My MT-G2 PD40 is the warmest tinted Fenix light I own, but that's pretty neutral. Still, very pleasant.

I've watched numerous videos of the PD35 TAC, and, to my eyes, it's a cool white tint.

What light are you comparing this with, that make you believe it has a very warm tint?

[​IMG]
    To me, this is very warm tint. It's an XP-L U5 7A3 (about 3000K). It looks very much like an incandescent, but without any of the flaws of an incandescent.

[​IMG]
    Here is a triple Nichia 219B. It's also a neutral tint light, but more on the warmer side (4500K).

#15 david57strat, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  16. SOS24
    • +1 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I don’t have the PD35, but have the smaller PD25 which I have found to be a very reliable light. I know some people don’t like the secondary side light for changing mode, but I actually find it nice.

17. willb00023

willb00023 Loaded Pockets

It's a nice light but I prefer the slightly more compact olight s30r baton. Although both end up with about the same amount of pocket time each week

18. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

Fenix has always been innovative and stayed with latest-greatest LEDs, way ahead of Surefire in terms of latest tech.

Not necessarily ahead in terms of build quality.

Let's look at the specs. I have reservations about the 1000 lumen rating, if they generate 1000 lumens I am going to guess it's only for a few minutes and if the light is not fully heat-sinked, it will reset to 700 or so lumens when it gets hot. I do not know any light that can *sustain* 1000 lumens off 1x18650. 5 minutes - yes. 1 hour - no. So take that with a huge grain of salt.

Still, let's say 750 lumens is awfully bright. They call it turbo, implying that it should not be used as a normal mode. Maybe jump into Turbo for 5 minutes but usually stay in high? 500 lumens for 2 hours is reasonable. although I have doubts about the 2:55 rating.

Also have reservations about the side button, seems like it makes it more complex and introduces things that can fail. Anyway, typical Fenix with a gazillion modes. No SOS? Strobe can be useful. 8 lumen emergency mode is neat. almost 30 hours for the low mode is excellent as well.
    18650 *and* 2x123 is most excellent.

• TACTICAL MODE
      • Turbo: 1000 Lumens (1 hr., 10 min.)
      • Low: 60 Lumens (29 hr., 15 min.)
      • Strobe: 1000 Lumens
    • OUTDOOR MODE
      • Turbo: 1000 Lumens (1 hr., 10 min.)
      • High: 500 Lumens (2 hrs., 55 min.)
      • Mid: 200 Lumens (8 hr. 30 min.)
      • Low: 60 Lumens (29 hr., 15 min.)
      • Eco: 8 Lumens (140 hr.)
      • Strobe: 1000 Lumens

dml24 likes this.
  19. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

I've had a PD35 Tac for nearly 3 years, using rechargeable 18650's. It's served me very well and I've found the fine brightness control pretty helpful.

The only thing I'm tempted by is a surefire g2x Pro, I can see why it just has 'bright' and 'less bright', keeps it simple.

Slumber likes this.
  20. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

The PD35 spec lists: "Waterproof to IPX-8 standard" the UC35 does not mention this so I'm not sure if your statement is true or not but I wouldn't rely on it.