1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fenix LD20 Flashlight Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by erns, Mar 3, 2010.

1. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

I purchased the Fenix LD20 through Amazon for $50.50.

Sometimes the price will vary (go up) but if you check back each day the price will eventualy drop to $50.50 which is the lowest price I seen.

This is the newest version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comes with a holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot.

Uses a Cree Premium (Q5) 7090 XR-E LED. The tint on my light is white.

[​IMG]

Uses a OP reflector which helps smooth out the beam.

[​IMG]

Rear view of the Lens bezel assembly.

[​IMG]

Has Turbo mode which includes strobe. Does not remember the mode when selected to off. To get to Turbo mode turn the bezel full clockwise.

General mode low, medium, high and SOS. Does not remember the mode when selected to off. To get to general mode turn the bezel 1/10 counter clockwise.

The turning action of the bezel is very smooth .

These are the Amazon rated run times.

Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2hrs) -> Strobe.

General Mode: 9 lumens (71hrs) -> 47 lumens (13hrs) -> 94 lumens (5hrs) ->SOS.

The rear clickie is a reverse clickie.

[​IMG]

The Fenix LD20 can tailstand.

[​IMG]

Inside view of the rear clickie.

[​IMG]

Threads are very smooth. O-rings came lubed.

[​IMG]

The Type III Hard Anodize is excellent. The various parts match in color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anti roll feature

[​IMG]

The clip faces toward the tailcap so the bezel faces up. Note the square threads.

[​IMG]

The holster not very durable. Thin material is used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the "thin" design and the knurling to help with the grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

Fenix LD20 (Turbo) @ 96"

[​IMG]

Fenix LD20 (Low) @ 32'

[​IMG]

Fenix LD20 (Medium) @ 32'

[​IMG]

Fenix LD20 (High) @ 32'

[​IMG]

Fenix LD20 (Turbo) @ 32'

[​IMG]

Pros

Uses common AA batteries

Price is low if you purchase through Amazon

Comes with a holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot.

Clip

Anti roll feature

6 levels of light

Cons

Thin material used for the holster

Does not remember it's last mode when selected to off

3. LoM

LoM Loaded Pockets

Just a note, your version its usually refered as LD20+ because of the clip. Nice Buy :)

4. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Hey dude! What a coincidence, i bought this yesterday too! It's 1 day old now... =D

5. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

I never knew about the +. Amazon doesn't list it that way. This is way Amazon lists it. Fenix LD 20 6 Level High Performance Cree LED Flashlight, Black, 6- Inch, Maximum 180 Lumens.

6. LoM

LoM Loaded Pockets

Yep, specifications kept the same but Fenix added the clip. Meaning sometimes (replaced usually by sometimes) this version is referred by LD20+ to let you know there’s a clip in it (see, for instance this link).

Its a nice light, Im still using its predecessor L2D very often

7. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

The Fenix L2D was my first nice light, bought it a few years back and it definitely turned me onto how bright and efficient nicer lights can be.

If the L2D ever retires (which I doubt from the quality construction the all the other lights entering my rotation), I'll be sure to pick up an LD20.

8. lotsofstufftogo

lotsofstufftogo Loaded Pockets

Thats a cool review on the LD20 which I just happen to own lol. I carry my LD20 in my EDC bag and I also carry a LD10 on my belt.

9. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Any idea if anyone have done any torture test for this?

10. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

Left to right, Fenix LD20 Q5, Quark 2AA XPR R5, EagleTac P100 XPE Q5

[​IMG]

Fenix LD20 Q5 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Quark 2AA XPR R5 @ 32'

[​IMG]

EagleTac P100 XPE Q5 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Out of the 3 lights I like the Fenix LD20. I like the way the Fenix LD20 feels in my hand. It has a thinner battery tube so it feels more sleek in my hand.

The Quark 2AA XPR R5 comes on second on my "hand ergonomics".

The EagleTac P100 XPE Q5 comes in third on my "hand ergonomics".

The EagleTac P100 XPE Q5 looks like the brightest light followed by the Quark 2AA XPR R5 then the Fenix LD20 Q5.

---------------------------------------

A newer version released soon,
    Fenix LD20 XPG R4

11. sloopy70

sloopy70 Loaded Pockets

Ive had my LD20 for about 6 months... I guess you could say I've torture tested it... I'm a Millwright... for those of you who don't know what that is, I fix big Industrial machinery... for example right now I work in a papermill... my job is very tough on equipment and the LD 20 is perfect for when you need ALOT of light in a small package. I can light up anything anywhere I'm working and its small enough to carry in your front pocket all the time without feeling bulky... I love mine... Won't buy another sure fire since I found fenix

12. dave0628

dave0628 Empty Pockets

just got mine in the mail last week. and love it. and the best part i got it for $45 brand new shipped from ebay:roof:

13. doinitharder

doinitharder Empty Pockets

I got mine a couple of weeks back (it was my frist high end light or at least high end for me ;D), and it totally blowed me out of the water. Great burn times, great workmanship, awesome feel in the hand, and i didnt think a little light could be so bright. It has replaced my 2c mag light with led converison as my go to/hunt/fish/hike/edc light. That in its self says a lot since i carried that mag for years, even before they made a led for it till now. My only beef is that this morn i wasl looking at the fenix web site for a ld10 or a ld01 and i saw the ld20 r4 thats has 25 more lumens on tubro then the Q5 for an extea $5 !!!!WTH!!!! i thought i looked and looked and i never saw the R4! Well no use crying over spilled milk anyways it is a sweet little light. Though my grandfather might be getting a slightly used
    LD20 Q5 for his birthday to free up room for my new R4 ;D

14. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

I bought one a couple months ago (Amazon).....love it!!! Primary EDC light now with a Streamlight Stylus Pro as a back-up.
    Used the Fenix a couple nights ago to check out a HUGE owl on a pole behind my house.....hit him with "turbo" mode.....almost knocked him off the pole. Great little light.

Nate

15. FixIt

FixIt Empty Pockets

The venerable L2D was my introduction into flashaholicsm...

Bear in mind that running these powerful flashlights on regular 1.5v alkalines is sub-optimal, to say the least. Performance (runtime and maximum brightness) will be much better with sanoy eneloop or a similar low self discharge nimh rechargeable battery. Or a lithium 1.5v if you don't like rechargeables. (Actually, the maximum at fresh alkalines is the same as maximum with any other battery, but I doubt that the alkalines will stay "fresh" for more than half an hour on maxium... From then on, the low self discharge nimh or 1.5v lithium will have the upper hand. With eneloops you get close to 2 hours with MAX brightness, no dimming).

16. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I just picked one up and love it !
    The reflector on mine is smooth and from what I understand it 'sharpens' the beam ? I like that ,)
    Does anyone know if there are changeable bodies available for 1 AA or 123 cells ?

BE WELL .. GH

17. Invaderchris

Invaderchris Empty Pockets

It's a great light garunteed. I love it to death. But there are a couple of annoyances, one of them being that the clip moves and that there is no mark on the bezel heard or tube to show you you are in turbo mode or in normal mode. Besides that, great stuff! I have the red filter, lantern diffuser and the slightly rarer diffuser which is only good if your reading close up.