1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fenix flashlights?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by redbeard_actual, May 17, 2013.

1. Crackerballer

Crackerballer Loaded Pockets

I wish Fenix would release some colored models. Might be time to experiment with some cerakote.

david57strat likes this.
  2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Other than the Christmas red version of the L0D, and the old neutral-colored models; forget it.

Fenix went with all black as a cost-cutting measure years ago since the other colors just didn't sell as well.

3. TimtotheJ

TimtotheJ Loaded Pockets

I keychain carry the e15. It is shorter and wider than the e1 so I feel it has a better fit on my biner. The only downside is I have noticed sometimes when I walk the light will flicker causing me to have to loosen the top even more. But it is a great light and super bright, I use it multiple times per day.

Norse Scots likes this.
  4. Hotbrass

Hotbrass Empty Pockets

TK41 and and a TK10. Love them. Never let me down.

5. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

It's probably not too cost-effective for them to do that, but I'd love to see this, as well.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  6. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Just got my PD35... I'm very happy!:cool:

7. david57strat

Congrats on your new purchase. Enjoy!

jeepsrjason likes this.
  8. ebekkers79

ebekkers79 Loaded Pockets

I got mine yesterday. It's my first "expensive" light. Love it!

9. david57strat

My new E11 just arrived in yesteray's mail, making this Fenix #10. It all started out with the little E15, last year. It's a very cool little light, but I'm not sure I'm excited about it, enough to actually replace any of my EDC lights with this particular one, though (I'm EDCing the E15, the E50,the PD22, and the TK22).

Will mess with the E11 some more, to see if this remains the case.

[​IMG]
    Left To right:

1. E15
    2. PD20
    3. PD22
    4. E11
    5. PD30
    6. E50
    7. TK15
    8. TK22
    9. E40
    10. TK41

Yoeman and ANJARI like this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The smaller models do come in colors?

This includes the E11 which is on your list!

11. david57strat

Yes. The E11 is available in Black, or Silver.
    The E05 is available, in Black, Purple, or Blue.
    The E01 i available in Black, Olive, Blue, or Gold.

Figures - they make the cheapest ones, the ones that are available in colors - while the higher-end ones, only come in Black :-(. I undersand why this probably needs to be, but it's still a bummer.

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

*grin* If you love the E15, you probably won't be as enamored of the E11. I suspect it will become an excellent gift for a non-flashaholic. :D

david57strat likes this.
  13. david57strat

I think Silver (with a flat finish) is a really ugly color on a flashlight. If it had a super high-gloss finish - sure. But the flat, dull-a** finish it comes with (at least, in Silver), just doesn't do it for me. To me, it already looks old, before it's even had half a chance to actually be used for the first time.

I feel the same exact way about the.....what are they calling metals (like copper, for instance) when they start to look rusted out and aged/faded......"patina"........no thank you. Copper is supposed to look shiny/glossy...hell...DAZZLING...not old and weather-beaten.

I also feel the same way about jeans. Some people pay exhorbitant amounts of money to buy jeans that look like they've been worn out...with bullet holes, tears, faded, and stretched out; pretty much delapidated, in apperance. Whyyyyyyyyy? That doesn't work for me.

I'll wear them out, myself, thank you very much; but when something is new....I want it to actually look new.

Obviously, opinions vary...

14. david57strat

I'm a Fenix and an Olight fan. Which particular Olights do you own? I have the M20-X (This was my first Olight), the TC15 SS, the S20, and the S35. The S20 is the newest of the bunch. Really loving that one!

15. david57strat

I've had some time to experiment with the E15 and the E11, side by side, and found that the E11 held its own, fairly nicely against the more powerful E15. Bear in mind, this was in a garage (not outdoors), and I was using the original version of the E15 (140 lumens on high) and E11 (110 lumens on high).

For the fun of it, I also ran both of them, against my ThruNite T10 (running on a 14500 battery). The T10 blew them both away, in all aspects; but the T10 cannot be run for more than a few minutes at a time, on high, with the 14500 battery.

Both, the T10, and the E15 heated up very quickly, compared to the E11, but I have to assume that's because of the E11's larger mass, which probably allows for better heat transfer off of the head. The E11 and E15 share the same XP-E LED, and very similar optics, so the color temperature was nearly identical, between the two lights.

If I replaced the E15 with the E11 for my EDC (and replaced the PD22, with the Olight S20), I could completely do away with carrying the dreaded CR123 battery.... :). The PD22 XP-G R5 has a more neutral tint, but if I have to have neutral output, I'd still have other lights at my disposal, so that's not really an issue.

Hmmm...the wheels are spinning inside my mind...

Anyway, that would esentially mean that I'd still be EDCing four Fenix lights......no.........I'm not taking the E15 off of the EDC list. There are times when I need something super compact to reach into a tight spot, and the E15 fits the bill, there, as it's my smallest EDC light.

I may have to consider pocket carry of the E11. I wouldn't do it without a sheath of some sort. I don't believe in putting a light on a keychain (I've got too many keys, to do that comfortably), and I'm completely anti-bare light, inside a pocket. I don't care what light it is - it's either holstered or sheathed, or I won't carry it. Period. Call me crazy.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 26, 2013
  16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The E11 also is running 1.5v, whereas the E15 is a CR123 - 3.0 volts which means it'll heat up faster.

The E11's primary strength, in my opinion, is the performance on a cheap, commonly available battery.

I'll take pictures Monday if you like, but I've found a fairly cheap carrying pouch from REI that fits the E11 perfectly - it's how I carry it in my pack.

sungame and david57strat like this.
  17. david57strat

Yes, that picture would be wonderful. Thanks for offering that up. There's an REI, less than two miles away from here - or I could always order on-line, if they don't stock the item in-store.

I used a Sanyo AA Eneloop in the E11 (recommended by Fenix, for better run time), which puts the Hi run time on par with the E15 - excellent! I also love the fact that this light has forward clicky activation, and the momentary function. I've always preferred clicky interfaces, over twisty, for activation. The button is fairly stiff, which is a good thing, in my book, to avoid accidental activation.

I agree, I'm much more amenable to swapping out AA Eneloops (or lithium ion batteries, whenever possible), however often is necessary, as opposed to filling up landfills with CR123, or alkaline batteries, which really end up costing an arm and a leg, over time, with repeated use. No more guilty lumens....! :). I'm considering going to LiFePo4 batteries for some of my lights that don't have working voltage ranges wide enoough to accomodate the use of a 16340.

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 26, 2013
  18. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have alot of lights :D i right now have the last gen T-25 tactical, I2 and I3s.. The i's are my main edc's.. You need those too in your collection :p!

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is one of the Rainbow of California carrying pouches. The website doesn't show the exact model I have, but the in-store stock should be better. You can also take your light in for a personalized fitting. :D

Picture of the back, belt loop attachments. It has a two way connection - either vertical or horizontal.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the inside. E11 fits snugly top to bottom, but with wiggle room to the left and right.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the outside.
    [​IMG]

arcadesdude and david57strat like this.
  20. david57strat

Nice! I'll check them out at REI. Thanks!

keith1234 and tmedina like this.