1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fenix FD20 Focus Flashlight. Uses AA and is zoomable

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Gearwolf, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Loaded Pockets

Disclaimer: I purchased this flashlight and the following video is not monetized.

I was talking to a friend who was going to Africa for volunteer work. He's not into flashlights and didn't want to take a charger with him, because didn't know if he would have access to electricity. That made me think about the good old AA batteries again. Unfortunately for him, I found this light after he had left.

I think it's great for the everyday person who needs a versatile general use light. For all you lumen junkies, this isn't the light for you. It only puts out 350 lumens on turbo. But it has a focus/zoom feature that actually produces good usable light. From floodlight to spotlight, the light produces good illumination for different situations.

A.B. likes this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the review, personally I don't own any in series double AA battery powered lights, I've kind of stuck with a single AA just because of the length, easier to pocket or carry in a belt pouch. I know that certainly limits the output and runtime so I have moved onto single CR123/RCR123 powered torches.

A.B. likes this.
  3. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Loaded Pockets

Thanks for input brother!

My usual EDC uses cr123 and my camping lights use 18650. When I go on vacation then I would have to bring the charger or take the FD20 and I can buy AAs anywhere on the world. Even a sari sari corner store in rural areas of the Phillipines. That's were the benefit lies for me personally. I have friends who aren't that into flashlights, so this is perfect for them. They rather pick up readily available batteries than buy the batteries that we like to use and have to charge. To each their own I guess

4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thinking of your mate, if he invested in Goal Zero's solar panel/AA battery set up, he'd probably get enough sun in Africa to keep that flashlight powered for his whole trip.

Gearwolf likes this.
  5. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

Gearwolf, I'm with you on the AA's for travel, you just can't beat the convenience and availability, and there's a bunch of excellent AA-based lights on the market.
    Thanks for the post.

Gearwolf likes this.
  6. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

I'm in the rural Philippines as I write this. AA batteries can be found in almost every nipa hut store. A few have C, D and 9 volt. Good luck finding anything else without a lot of effort. A lot of batteries here are of dubious quality, but at least they are available.

An earthquake on July 6th took out a generator that powers most of the island. There have been rolling blackouts with just a few hours of power for each village.

Without plenty of AA flashlights. My family would be sitting in the dark most nights, with 15-20 people around candles.

7. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input brother! He's a young fella with a very limited budget so I try to pass on good deals on quality gear. That was a really good suggestion thanks!

earthman likes this.
  8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I own the fenix ld09 and love it. Simple one AA battery and nice output. For my use around the house it's great

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

9. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your comment brother! I think it's a great choice for those who don't want to buy chargers and solar panels. Those items do have their place for sure, but for general travel I think it works great.

10. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comment brother. I love the Philippines, went their 2 years ago and can't wait to go back. You brought something to my attention that I didn't think about, the quality of the actual batteries. Thats something to keep in mind for sure.

11. Gearwolf

Gearwolf Loaded Pockets

Gotta love Fenix, quality lights without over charging on the price. Very fair I think.

A.B. likes this.