1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fenix E01 or battery issue?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by able_man, Dec 2, 2010.

1. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Went to use my E01 tonight and couldn't turn it on. It took some muscle, but when I got it unscrewed there was a hiss. It looks like my battery leaked or something.

Has anyone ever had this issue? Was it the battery or the light? Is it safe to load it up and keep using it? It turns on with a fresh battery.

2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Probably just a battery issue - if you pulled the old battery, replaced it and the light powered up, I'd say you're good.

Now, if the second battery dies like the first one, you might have an issue, but I've never heard of that happening before.

-Trevor

3. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Have you tried cleaning the contacts? Or you could clean the inside of the battery tube?

4. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing it was the battery. I'm going to clean it and keep carrying it and just hope it doesn't happen again.

5. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

Bad battery must have vented. On the plus side, sounds like the light is very airtight (i.e., would be very water resistant)

6. JamisonM

JamisonM Empty Pockets

able_man, what kind of battery were you using when you had the issue?

7. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Standard Energizer

8. JamisonM

JamisonM Empty Pockets

So it was an alkaline battery. Depending on how much you use it, it might be worth it to buy a pack of energizer lithium cells. With them, you shouldn't have to worry about leaking inside your light. I've read stories about alkalines leaking and getting stuck inside lights. Unless you have a light that allows you to pund out the batteries, you'll have to send it to the battery manufacturer. Another plus is the lithium primaries should be more stable in colder temperatures as well as give you longer runtime in your E01. They will be a bit more expensive though.

9. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I had that happen with 2 of my MiniMaglites, batteries leaked and got stuck inside. I tossed both seeing as I had about six at the time, now i either put Lithiums in or leave my spare lights empty.

10. n800

n800 Loaded Pockets

I agree, switching over to Lithiums works better in these.

11. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

I use lithiums in everything... I would actually send energizer a nasty gram about your battery "hissing" and leaking, in hopes they would send me some free batteries or something.

12. Harry999

Harry999 Loaded Pockets

The only primary AA used in my lights is of the Lithium variety. Either the 1.5v standard energisers or the 3.6v SAFT ones used for incredibly long runtime on moonlight and low settings.

I also only use Lithium AAA cells in my keychain lights.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

13. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

I had the same problem with my E01. The acid that leaked from the battery killed the light.