1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fellhoelter, Ruger, and CRKT

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Il Duce, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

twin63 likes this.
  2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Good price ...let us know how the anodizing is.. An ideal one would be clear anodized (do they make that?) with stainless steel nose/tip.

3. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

A mushroom on the pen?

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Looks magical :cool:

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Even though the pen at the link looked like Fellhoelter's TiBolt, it was lame that CRKT didn't credit him for the design.

And it looks like CRKT's got a little markup on it. It's available for less at Ruger... ;)

:cool:

gnibur and Eskerbillion like this.
  7. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Nice find .. for $39.99 you can't beat that. I just wonder what the quality and function are like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Roguehunter
    • +1 Supporter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

I think Brian had licensed the design to crkt. It is not a rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Yep, I just thought it wasn't cool that CRKT didn't attribute the design to Brian. Ruger's site did, though, so that was decent of them.

Eskerbillion likes this.
  10. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I wish it didn't have so much branding. A big and distracting "Ruger" on the side and "CRKT" on the clip. I could live with the clip, but the branding on the side might be a bit much for me.

11. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Nusm - yeah, I concur - a sanitized anodized aluminum version or more subtle/smaller branding would be preferred. Like if CRKT were on the top and RUGER was down the clip - that'd be good.

12. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

No I haven't ordered one. Waiting until the new year.

13. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber Empty Pockets

Just ordered one, thanks for the heads up!

14. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Please come back and let us know how you like it after you receive it. I'm really curious.

15. FortyCaliber

RUGER® BOLT-ACTION PEN - Manufactured by CRKT® under license from Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc.

I found this pen online from a retailer for $45.01 ($33.95 with $11.06 for USPS priority shipping). Shipping seemed high, but this was cheaper than other available options (CRKT 49.95 + 8.99SH or Ruger 39.95 + 8.00SH) at the time. Within the past few days there are other online vendors that now carry this pen, and I see one for 28.50 with 3.02 SH.

I ordered it on 01/03/17 at 22:30 and it was delivered on 01/07/17 at 14:35.

The Physical

The pen arrived in a “Ruger® Knives” cardboard box with a Ruger® Knives pamphlet.

This pen appears to be a copy of the Standard smooth barrel TiBolt, as it doesn’t have the Deluxe slots and divots machined into the barrel.

I was able to compare this side by side to my TAD TiBolt in Dogfight. Please keep in mind that I did NOT put calipers on these parts, I just used my machinist’s scale to approximate dimensions as needed.

Physically it is identical or very close in most respects to the TiBolt except for the following:

- Material: Al (vs Ti)

- Lighter weight: 28g (vs 42g)

- Bolt handle deviates from the TiBolt design:

o protrudes 5/16” from the barrel, which is 1/8” more than the TiBolt,​

o bolt head is approx. 0.5mm larger in diameter​

o has a curved or swept bolt handle instead of the straight (more rifle-like)​

- Refill: CRKT branded Fisher space pen (vs Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 M)

- Spring: 13/16” Long (vs 7/8” long) also slightly smaller in diameter

The parts seem to be interchangeable, however I tried to swap the tips, but I was only able to get 1.25 turns of the Al tip into the Ti barrel and 2.75 turns of the Ti tip in the Al barrel. It takes about 4.5 turns to get the Ti tip in the Ti barrel. As the morning wore on, I got more aggressive with exchanging the tips but I had to stop myself for fear of irreparably harming both pens.

Anodizing seems to be of good quality and uniformly applied, with no missing spots.

The Mental

My immediate gut impression when I picked up the pen was that it was CHEAP! It was very lightweight, and the bolt noisily rattled around in the pen, making it seem very chintzy. Upon further investigation, I found that the spring is shorter than the Ti spring, allowing this to happen. I tried my TiBolt spring and it cleared up the issue.

Here are my Pros and Cons, in decreasing order of importance.

- Price - This is about ¼ of the price of a TiBolt!
    - Doesn’t stray far from the original Fellhoelter Design
    - Ability to accept other refills

Dislikes
    - Spring length allows bolt to rattle around when pen tip is retracted - Easily remedied by changing the spring.
    - Bolt protrudes 5/16” – I’m not sure that is an EDC issue, but it seems excessive. I can see some threads of the bolt handle, so I may disassemble to determine if I can seat the bolt handle more deeply than it already is, but that is for another day.
    - “Ruger®” printed in 3/16” tall silver letters on barrel - I will try to remove or subdue at a later time.
    - Grittiness of bolt action -It has already smoothed out some from the short time I’ve used it and will probably smooth out more. If not, I will disassemble, polish and lube.

Final Thoughts

I do like this pen very much. It’s not perfect, but it is robust and usable out of the box, and the rattling is easily rectified.

I have not carried my TiBolt very much, perhaps because it feels blasphemous to subject a new pen to the conditions of my pocket. Please note that when I obtain used pens that already have battle scars, I do not hesitate to put them into rotation. I have many non-disposable type writing instruments and I’ve EDCd them all, to some degree.

This pen has a great pricepoint, so I won’t have any heartache to put this new pen into daily duty. I’ll be curious to see how the anodizing holds up and what the pen looks like in the future. Because of the bolt action’s simplicity and the robustness of the pen, I can’t imagine any mechanical failures, but time will tell.

I’ll probably buy another one or more. I may squirrel one away in new condition, modify one to take the MB ballpoint refill, make one into a pencil or keep one in my vehicle.

Gary Gross and ItsHardToKnow like this.
  16. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Wow, great review! Thank you for taking the time to type all of this up.

I'm most curious about whether or not you're able to remove or subdue the big Ruger logo on the side. Like you, I don't carry my TiBolt on a regular basis because it's such an expensive pen, but I might carry this if I could get rid of the side logo.

17. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Buy a bolt head from Brain and replace it.

18. FortyCaliber

Upon further examination with my fingernail and a 10x loupe, it appears as though the "Ruger" is not printed, it is a lack of anodizing, so it can't be removed.

I'm going to attempt to subdue it by coloring it in with a Sharpie.

19. FortyCaliber

Update

After several weeks, the pen continues to work well (as expected), however it has received some scratches from pocket / backpack carry that has removed some of the anodizing. Cosmetically the pen still looks fine, but not sure how much more character it will gain over time.

I've had two comment of "Nice Pen" while using it. I almost always have and use an unusual and/or nice pen or pencil, but usually don't get comments. Perhaps it was the conspicuous "RUGER" on the side of the pen?

This morning I discovered that a pencil is now available so I just ordered one.

Eskerbillion likes this.