1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

FBI's new GLOCK. The 17M

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by RVPhil, Aug 18, 2016.

1. RVPhil

RVPhil Loaded Pockets

2. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Yawn, it is a glock... Had there been any changes in the last 30 years then it would not be the Yugo of the gun world. The Glock could have easily made the PPQ and VP9 never exist by actually working on ergos and keeping things working on the inside. Glock did not, they sat back and said let them eat cake. They have done very little in the way of innovation other than designing to spec firearms for contracts.

Cheep, functional, and goes bang most of the time. Yep it is a Yugo, I mean a glock. /yawn.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  3. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Its about time Glock caught up to Springfield and made a Glock with interchangeable backstraps. Finally!

4. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

From a LEO who's department had a test model; posted on another (reputable) forum.

1. New, "tougher" finish. Similar to the original Tenifer.
    2. Different rifling
    3. Longer RSA
    4. Reinforced front RSA notch - this is the circular depression the RSA sits in on the slide. It's been beefed up.
    5. Smoother trigger (similar to G42/G43)
    6. Flared magwell
    7. Removed finger grooves
    8. Safety plunger is oblong/rectangular instead of round
    9. Ambi slide release
    10. Magazine well cut out
    11. Magazines have a slightly extended front lip. This is the front edge of the magazine baseplate. It is minute, and just there to work with the magwell cutout, to help with stripping magazines.

5. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Much could be said about Springfield catching up to Glock, and the Glock modifiers, by offering an optics ready XD from the factory finally.

6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Saying Glock was "behind" anybody else is pretty dumb, they have long been a leader and there is no denying it, period. Also to say that no one else would have put out a similar handgun or wouldn't come out with other innovative handguns is not giving much credit to the other manufacturers, after all thats what businesses do to competete.

Glock has a firearm that simply works...and sells, why change something that works with a vast redesign? Remember the old S&W Sigma back in the 90's? Huge flop back then. There have been a lot of companies, many well established, that have tried to come up with a gun that can compete in the same market and have failed. When that happens it costs many millions in design, R&D, set up, manufacturing, advertising, distrubution, and more, not to mention all of the stock just to see if people might like it, that can bankrupt a company in the worst case. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take risks.

There are a lot of manufacturers that make a lot of good quality firearms with great features, but Glock is still selling handguns and it ain't all "fanboi's", it's because people know it is a reputable manufacturer with a handgun that works, period! I like and own quite a few different brands and manufacturers, even own a 1911...still carrying a Gen 3 G 19 most of the time. You can say whatever you want about Glock, you can even buy whatever you want, but you aren't hurting their sale numbers or the fact that they make a great firearm. If you feel otherwise then you just aren't facing the facts and in the end that's fine too. I don't like Ford either, but they own a large share of the auto market and make one of the top selling pickups, hard to deny the facts.

I'm glad it's a wide open market personally and we have so many choices.

Jessie Carter likes this.
  7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

8. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

9. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't say it's a Yugo. More like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. It might look average but it just goes and goes and goes. I've had several Glocks. My Glock 17 has many thousands of rounds through it and has never failed me, never once. I don't need fancy grips, safeties, finishes, serrations, etc, etc, etc, I need it to work.

Alnamvet68, dewalt420h, Stutz and 2 others like this.
  10. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

Hard to get excited about new Glock unless the size or caliber is new to the platform. I will admit that I would like to see finger grooves go away on the rest of the lineup. I have owned around six Glocks over the years and they have been reliable, easy to shoot and maintain. I have never lusted over the way they were constructed though. The finish on my Glock 43 has me considering an aftermarket finish...that is literally putting lipstick on a pig. Say what you want about Glock fan boys, the product is solid enough to command a significant share of the law enforcement and now military markets.

11. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Only if it was a early or mid 80's Civic or Corolla. :)

Lets all agree to one thing. The ergos on all of the glocks need some serious work.

Yes they work, I too have owned a few (19, 23, 22) heck still do, but it is by far not my most accurate out of the box striker fired 9mm. It is also UGLY. It actually made milk curdle last week and raised the temperature of the polar icecaps by 3 degrees, so I put it back in the safe.

Jessie Carter likes this.
  12. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

It has to shoot, not look pretty, the target and/or BG could care less. Few striker fires are lookers, you need to go SA/DA for that.

I had a Sig P230 that would drill a hole in the center of the target with 50 rds, but about every sixth shot would drill me above my right eyebrow, we're not talking lightly either, so I sold it. I've had a USP, you want to talk about blocky, and the only attractive thing on the whole gun was the HK lettering, the P30 is the best looking thing they got, still blocky. I just got a Walther PPS M2, I think it looks pretty good and supposedly it is pretty accurate, it's even got decent ergos, but it wont fully replace my G19 ever.

I'm not soley a Glock fan, but I can appreciate it's benefits, same as a 1911, while attractive there are better looking guns IMO. Beretta 92FS is attractive in the hand, really accurate out of the box, and has great ergos, but is far under appreciated.

Each gun regardless of manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses, each person has to choose which ones best meet the things they need it to do, not everyone else. That's exactly what they did here with the "M", met a specific group of peoples qualifications. I still buy Gen 3 models because they best fit me, others choose the Gen 4's and even the Gen 2's because thats what fit them. This new model, if eventually offered to civilians, will fit a wider audience than previous models.

Any gun that I dislike as much as you say you dislike Glock, I've long gotten rid of, I didn't keep it around so I could bad mouth it.

13. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

So what I said is pretty dumb? All I mentioned was that Glock finally caught up to Springfield as far as back straps are concerned. Understand? No need to insult me. Otherwise why would Glock start including interchangeable back straps except by popular demand? You can be a fanboy without having to insult others.

Ethos likes this.
  14. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

Glock's have no soul! There, I've said it. :)

Other than that, no plastic pistol to my mind could best a G19 in the role of tool gun for the masses. Everybody should own at least one Glock.

I welcome the changes in the G17M and hopefully most of those changes make it into the Gen 5's.

15. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Your right, I didn't mean to insult you and I apologize. I just meant that it's hard to argue that they still compete that's all. I should have chosen my words better.

16. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

I've might have missed it, but are these limited to Mil/LE only?

17. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

For now. Just like everything else, give it time to trickle down.

18. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

I have to admit that if it is sold to the civilian market, I will be an earlier adopter. More GLOCK knuckle after range time...stupid reliability and straightforward manual of arms...blasted simplicity and ease of maintenance...freakin' low muzzle flip and short trigger reset...