1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Trauma/EMS shears?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by steviesterno, Feb 4, 2018.

1. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

Random I know. But just got word my nephew had his shoe caught in an escalator, and thankfully they were able to get security to shut it down and get him out before any damage to his foot. But got the wife interested in always carrying something sharp. She's not into knives and won't carry anything I've bought her thus far, but would be interested in keeping shears in her purse/car.

with that said, I wouldn't be against adding them to my kit as well. But I have no idea what's nice or good enough. I see them for $4, and I see them for $90 and I literally don't know the difference.

What do you all recommend? I will want probably 4-5 sets when It's all said and done, but can make my own kydex to carry them if needed.

I always have a sharp knife on/with me. Potentially like 8 because, well, I belong to this forum. Recently it's been a few autos like Protech and Microtech, but I could see where a decent pair of scissors would make more sense to have.

Moose likes this.
  2. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I have a Leatherman Raptor. I think, it would be really good in this case. It is small and tough. It would go through a shoe like butter.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have half a dozen pairs of the cheapest ones, ideal for when I misplace them or forget to pick them up.

YMMV but I wouldn't want to have anything too expensive because of the risk of it being ruined or lost.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You could also consider a good 'rescue hook' as an alternative. These things have a single hook shaped blade; come in various lengths. I have one in each of my FAK. I was drawn (there is a pun here as you'll soon see!) to these when I stumbled on a few videos from BM showing these hooks used to slice through combat boots.

The hooks are relatively light; compact; no moving parts -- in fact only a single part, so no place to get jammed up with gunk etc.

The only real negative I think is that many of us might find it just easier to send back to BM (or whomever) for sharpening rather than sharpening ourselves, because of the geometry.

Here is a link to a video:

And a way to sharpen the hooks:

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose likes this.
  5. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I have at least a half dozen $2-4 pairs of trauma shears in various places in the home - workshop, kitchen, bathroom, closet, etc. I keep at least one pair in every vehicle. Carried them in bunker or EMS-style pants as well.

I am with Journo. The $2 versions cut effectively, comparatively to much more expensive versions. In EMS use, being disposable has all sorts of advantages. Use for one or two patients and then discard.

I see no reason for more investment for little to no return without a specific use case. I recently purchased some half-sized shears from CountyComm to try in an ankle rig. Little use to date fortunately, but seem to be adequate quality. Might be an option for purse carry and under $10 IIRC.

Moose likes this.
  6. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I carry a pair of Raptors at work. Hands down my favorite shears. Although the red handled titanium shears I used to carry are a close second

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

7. ParacordMan1220

ParacordMan1220 Loaded Pockets

+1 for CountyComm Maratac shears. They are small, easy to carry and of good quality.

8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I have the cheaper versions (under $10) and have never had an issue using them to get the job done.
    Bright handles are easier to identify should you set them down in a dark area.
    Inexpensive tough nylon/Cordura sheaths will keep them handy.
    When choosing them pick the ones that feel most comfortable in the hand

9. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Raptor. Hands down the best I've tried when you factor in the compact size and other functions. For your needs any trauma shears will work, my recommendation would be to try out a few of the cheaper ones.

10. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

This! The fancy ones are nice, but they will get lost. I would rather lose a cheap pair than my $70 Raptor.

Oh, and like sunglasses, the cheaper they are the longer you’ll have them. So it’s a win/win;)

Moose likes this.
  11. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Losing or damaging them might be a concern if it's used daily/regularly in chaotic situations with sticky fingers and plenty of hard use, for example in prehospital or ER use. But that's not the intended use here.

Things doesn't just "get lost" during normal EDC use, people lose them because they act in a certain way. So I wouldn't mind paying a higher price for this occasional use item. In fact I did when I bought my Raptor. But I'm a gear head, the OP's wife isn't and that accounts for something.

Moose and MCPOWoller like this.
  12. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

:cool: Never ever buy cheap sunglasses! :frantic:

Journo likes this.
  13. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Things just "get lost" quite often. Not through neglect or anything but just because these things happen, and I am quite happy that my £3.22 EMT shears can just be lost, my £85 Leatherman Raptors couldn't and, thus, I would not be able to use them in the way I want to.

Moose likes this.
  14. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Hooyah! +1 on this, eyepro should always be the best ever!

MCPOWoller likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Shhh! You're breaking the hearts of 3 really nice guys from Texas... our good friends 'ZZ Top'!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller likes this.
  16. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I don't understand your reasoning here, if what you say is true it makes no sense to invest in anything discussed on this forum. Why would you have a multitool for $150 when you can have one that cost $15? It's cheaper to replace, right? Why would you buy a $30 knife when you could buy ten $3 knives? What is the difference between that and your example?

Also, if you can't use your raptors because they might get lost they are useless as a tool and should be seen more as a collectors item.

Things doesn't just "get lost". They get lost through actions of their owners (users). Yes, accidents happens once in a while, to everyone. But if it's such a common occurrence that one need to consider it when buying something like this for emergency/casual use one need to take a step back and think really hard on the behavior that leads to these losses. Because they do not happen to everyone.

17. Dmonfire

Dmonfire Loaded Pockets

Personally at work (EMS) I carry a pair of cheapos and my raptors. 99% of the time the cheapos work and I can trash em after use. But every once in a while something will pop up that needs some extra oomph and then the raptors come out. Off duty though I tend to just keep the raptors on me. YMMV

18. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Sorry, but, with respect I disagree. I have dealt with many incidents which have been very faced paced, and because of the way things have developed I haven't had time to go back and collect things or ensure I have all my stuff. And while I may own a pocket knife, or torch that costs several hundred Euro, I don't treat them in the same way I do my cheap EMT shears. And nor are they exposed to some of the things my EMT shears have been over the years.

Happy to leave behind some cheap EMT shears because they have been covered in blood, or vomit, or urine, or used in a river, or covered in petrol. A situation many of my other expensive EDC items won't experience. Hence why I am with @MCPOWoller and do not own cheap sunglasses.

Moose likes this.
  19. Dmonfire

Dmonfire Loaded Pockets

Definitely gonna second with Journo here, at least on the shears (love my pricey sunglasses ha). Most shears (raptors aside) are meant to be trashed after exposure to blood, vomit, stool and other lovely things. They're also not meant to retain an edge or be resharpened because they're expendable. Most hospital sharps are meant for single use and to get maximum sharpness for that one use they use a steel that doesn't always retain an edge well. There's a time and place for all things and for most incidents the cheapo shears work. Again YMMV

Also I've definitely used cheap shears for some stupid things (screwdriver, prybar, paint scraper, coffee stirrer...) that I wouldn't dare use on my pricey knives or shears ha.

MCPOWoller, Moose and Journo like this.
  20. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I have as well and I've thrown away more shears and scissors than I can count. However, this is in a professional (or semi-professional) setting and that's not what the OP is looking for.

I generally don't use my Raptors to cut open dressings, casts, clothes or whatever since I use a pair of hospital supplied shears or scissors for that. But again, that's not the topic of discussion. I have my Raptors in my EDC bag that goes with me everywhere, along with my Littman, my flashlights, my trauma kit and so on.

We're talking about a civilian, presumably without any greater extent of medical training that wants to carry a tool for emergencies. The Raptor is a great choice for that, it is far more versatile than simple shears.

Considering the OP wants 4-5 sets I'd still suggest affordable ones. But we need to separate professional and occasional use.
    She's not going to use it everyday, every week or even every year. She's not going to use it in a hospital or in an ambulance or in a Blackhawk in Afghanistan.

You stated that you carry a Raptor that gets used occasionally (same as me) and this is the kind of scenario the OP is planning for. Not daily use in a professional setting.