1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite shoes or boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MCSOK9, May 30, 2006.

1. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I LOVE my Throrgood T.A.S.A.R boots!! I have 2 pair; 6 inch variety, and the 8 inch. These are EXCELLENT boots!!

2. ryball

ryball Empty Pockets

hiking - Asolo hikers

casual - Merrell Chameleon Wrap Stretch GTX's (I love not having to tie my shoes.) ;D
    link

My current favorites are the new
    Crocs All Terrains.

Summer - Keen's (again, love not having to tie my shoes)

3. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

For backcounty bushwhacking, LL Bean Gore-Tex Crestas (six years old, scuffed and muddied, but still solid). They fit perfectly right out of the box and have never raised a blister.

For intermediate stuff and bad weather, LL Bean Gore-Tex mid-cut Mountain Treads (four years old and only recently feeling truely "broken in").

For wildland fire security duty, LL Bean Gore-Tex Bison Big Game boots (9-inch, mold to your feet).

Also a pair of cheap LL Bean hikers for working around.

Getting the picture that I like LL Bean stuff? Living in NH, it's the logical choice, but they also carry a lot of the EEs that I need, and their guarantee is bulletproof.

For lo-cuts/office/warmer weather, usually New Balance walkers or trail runners (also lots of EE selections).

4. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I love Merrells. I wear their shoes daily. I believe I typically wear a Chameleon Stretch II or some model with a similar name. The shoes are absolute heaven and the fact that they have elastic laces means I don't have to tie my shoes. Sure I know how to tie my shoes but it's so annoying to have to stop during a run once you achieve that runner's high to tie shoes. Yes, double knots work too, but they're not nearly as fun.

5. x923x

x923x Empty Pockets

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I wear some form of Merrell everyday!! They are so comfy, that I do not wear sneakers anymore! And I used to live in sneakers.

7. inthedark

inthedark Empty Pockets

Hey Rik,

How do you like the side zip boots? I've been wanting to get a pair so I can slip them on and off quickly. I tried some other brand of side zips, but the boots were so high that even when unzipped, I still had to untie the laces to get them off. Kinda defeats the purpose of the zipper. Are the Hi-tec's any better? Do you feel the zipper at all when wearing them, and how is the waterproofness?

8. defusion

defusion Loaded Pockets

I like my magnum v-lite boots.
    they're very comfortable for boots, so daily wear is a joy.

However, i haven't had them for all that long, and I've heard that they wear out quickly.
    Not a problem to me, as i'm used to replacing my shoes every year or so.
    We'll just have to see how long these actually hold up.

9. Marijn

Marijn Empty Pockets

Magnums....cool lookin, comfy.
    But they wear out to fast.
    trashed mine in less than 3 months (hard use)
    Now i have Meindl Superforce (basically a B/C class shoe with the shaft of an army boot) and the already took me 2 years without showing signs of any wear.
    Given that i do a lot of field research, their used pretty much every other day (got 2 pairs, saves my feet)
    Their a bit pricy though @ $260 a pair

10. ohmygoat

ohmygoat Empty Pockets

Chaco Z1's and Teva Terra-Fi's are my favorites for kayaking and general sandal wear, but have up until recently, avoided Keens. On a recent visit to Marshall's (the discount, clearance clothing store), I found a pair of just discontinued Keen Selways in my size for only $25 (originally $100, typically going for $60-65 on sale at online sources). At that price, they certainly seemed like a hard to resist way to give 'em a try. They're basically Keen's take on an open trail running shoe but are little too "closed" for water use. They are very comfortable though, and will be seeing a lot of use this summer.

11. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Most sandals and water shoes I've seen come only in medium width. I need something for white water kayaking. Anyone know of a good water shoe that either comes in a wide width (E/EE) or is a D but wider than normal?

12. el_diabl0

el_diabl0 Loaded Pockets

I have several pair of Dr Martens shoes for everyday office use, Timberland hiking boots, and Teva sport sandals

13. T-Mo

T-Mo Loaded Pockets

Personally I stick with 5.11 ATAC 8" boots for work. Easy to put on or change in a rush due to the zips, smarter than Magnum Elites when wearing shirt and tie and the side pockets are ideal for carrying a folding utility knife out of sight.
    Unfortunately we only get issued with cheapo CAPPS boots with textured leather so I have to buy my own but considering they last about a year of daily use then I dont mind especially since they are comfortable out the box.
    Otherwise I wear a pair of Merrells for about everything else.

14. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm just now looking at the 5.11 site; those ATAC boots look pretty awesome. I think I'll have to set some money aside for the ATAC Shield boots sometime soon, seeing as they've got just about everything I want in a boot.

15. mightysparrow

mightysparrow Empty Pockets

Formal clothing (such as business suit): haven't found any truly comfortable shoes in this category

semi-formal to casual: Stonefly shoes with blue gel in heel and Joseph Seibel shoes (bought on sale on 'Web). Both brands are beautifully made and amazingly comfy for dressy-looking shoes.

casual-rugged: by far the best waterproof hiking boots that pass at work in office or social gatherings, with a slim profile and black and grey coloring is the Teva hiking boot. I have a brown pair, also. I bought a few pairs of highs and lows a few years ago. I don't think they are made anymore- what a pity. They wear very well and are very cushioned on the sole- a rare quality for a hiking boot.

My rugged hikers for many years were Vasque Skywalks with Gore-Tex. (Earlier than the Skywalk II). They had one major flaw, although they wore well: very slippery on wet rocks-- I took many dunks in streams with binoculars in tow, when doing research for the Park Service. I won't try Vasque again. I currenly have some La Sportiva hikers that are like light mountaineering boots - built slim for a good fit to my narrow feet, but without the solid steel all along the length that makes mountaineering boots inflexible and hard on one's feet. So, they are great, and I got them really cheap online. I also have some waterproof Teva boots with the lining that stores and releases heat, depending on the temp- very nice, stable boots for slippery conditions. :-X

16. mr.trooper

mr.trooper Empty Pockets

Just got a new pare of shoes the other day.

They are a pair of Brown, semi-sued leather Reeboks, standard rise. A semingly ordinary brown shoe.

The cool thing is they have the same agressive saw-tooth soles as a Vietnam era Jungle boot. The forward traction is absolutely phenominal. They dont squeek...but the tread makes a "rippling" sound, like pulling up a string of suction cups, when i walk on pavement. They also shed water very well.

Like having a jungle Boot for less than 1/2 the weight. :)

i gave them a real test in Cherokee nation forest over the weekend. They had me crawling up slopes i would have needed a walking stick for had i been waring my worn out old clogs.

17. prometheus

prometheus Empty Pockets

chaco sandals
    [​IMG]

chaco boots (sadly no longer being made) *more comfy than any "tactical boot" i've ever worn
    [​IMG]

five-ten guide tennies
    [​IMG]

pf flyers ground hi and lo
    [​IMG]

teva flip flops
    [​IMG]

O0

18. kruspe

kruspe Loaded Pockets

Not for everyone's taste, but I wear Birkenstock Montana's for formal and semi-formal occasions. I'm a classical musician, and I routinely wear them with my tuxedo. I also wear them without socks with my jeans and shorts. I'm not sure if they are still made, but they are similar to the "Alabama" style pictured
    here

Pros:
    Astonishingly comfortable
    Long lasting (I've had mine for nearly three years. I recently replaced the original sole with a "chef" sole.)

Cons:
    Holes in the upper allow tiny pebbles to enter the shoe. It looks like they may have addressed that problem with the Alabama.
    Widens from heel to toe, which makes for a very comfortable, but rather odd-looking shoe. A classic case of form following function.

19. mightysparrow

mightysparrow Empty Pockets

to Kruspe:

Thanks for the tip on the Birkenstock shoes-- I had no idea they made shoes like that. I will look into them. I'm not sure the soles are cushy enough for my terribly sensitive feet, but I'll see if I can find some to try on.

Cheers,

m'sparrow

20. Ultra

Ultra Banned

Hey all

Is everyone wearing sensible shoes? ;D I don't know how many have thought about it, but a tiny slip up (pun) can make all your EDC gear into a big pile of wasted money in the blink of an eye. Unless you have a 121.5 mhz. distress beacon on you. (Breitling builds one into its "skull and bones" watch, but yeah...) and not to mention staying dry, warm and without gangrene.

So what do you guys wear, down there? :lolhammer:

This EDC'er just got his Bates 2145 "Enforcer falcon" 8" tactical boots, with padded "outside of foot-knuckle" area, perfect for urban combat or slippery steel floors in tanks, ships etc. ;D Can't wait to prove them worth their cost, as I spend most of my time running around on slippery floors. It will be interesting to see how they handle ice, if at all, but they sure look capable of taking on the adverse conditions that lurk "topside". ;D

[img width=640 height=590]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/botach_1969_29093796[/img]