1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite shoes or boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MCSOK9, May 30, 2006.

1. loveit

loveit Uber Prepared

With my heal problems, I only can wear Birks to be comfortable. I just took my best pair-- a pair of brown London shoes (like a clog, but with a back)-- to the cobbler to be re-soled today. I will be without for a week. We'll see if I can make due with the others in my closet! Warning: I may be grumpy by the end of the week!

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I love my Thorogood TASAR boots; I have them in 6 inch & 8 inch version. For shoes, I wear Merrell's; they are so comfy!! They are so comfy, that I do not wear sneakers anymore.

3. quietmike

quietmike Loaded Pockets

My favorite is a pair of Danner mt. light hikers (worn daily for over 4 years). I also have a pair of danner pendletons(no discontinued) that I wore when working as a Leo. Acadia's always had too small a toebox to suit me but overall danner's rock :boing:

4. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

Vasque Sundowner (before they went to China. first pair lasted ten years w/ resoleing. second pair lost the lining in a year.)

Danner Quarry (same story.)

will be trying Asolo next....

5. bobisculous

bobisculous Empty Pockets

Whats the difference between hiking boots and work boots?

I am looking into spending $90 for a pair of Timberland Hiking Boots for a big camping trip in January. After I get done with the camping trip I would like to use them for more than just my next camping/hiking trip. Are they not good for anything else? Specially designed for walking? What makes a hiking boot for hiking?

-Cameron

6. Jenner 515

Jenner 515 Loaded Pockets

Danner Radical for casual stuff...

Georgia Giants Steel Toe for work:

Attached Files:

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

For really filthy, wet, messy hiking (MOST of the time in ruddy NW England!) I still wear my old Army boots, I think theyre called DMS boots with a thick commando sole (made for "thick" commandos? ;D).
    Most of the time, even just for daily wear I use lightweight boots made by hitech, berghaus or Columbia. My favourites wear called Columbia Daysack or Daypack, I think.

8. MuffinMan

MuffinMan Loaded Pockets

Minnetonka Moccasins :D

9. Blackhat

Blackhat Empty Pockets

Teva sandals. Any time, anywhere unless the weather turns really foul. Then I go with my old issued boots.

10. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Keen's are comfy, if not goofy-looking.

11. Monstera13

Monstera13 Loaded Pockets

I bought a couple of pairs of Rossignol's shoe/boots. Not quite as big as a boot, but not quite a shoe. One pair for work, and a cleaner pair for leisure. I've just looked at their shoe range and I like!! Anyone have any Rossignol products? I'd never heard of them till I saw them in TK-MAX ;D

12. magnus

magnus Empty Pockets

I wear these everywhere, including to my office job.

[​IMG]
    Thorogood 8" Side Zip Waterproof Commando Deuce

13. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if footwear can be considered as something you carry, but I'm curious what people wear for shoes everyday.

Since it's Winter in the Northern hemisphere, I'm foregoing the italian dress shoes and stylish sneakers in favor of a pair of Merrell Chameleon Wrap Stretch XCR hiking shoes in the Kangaroo color variety.

They fit *REALLY* well (even with my wide feet) and they're waterproof.

-Jeff

14. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

North Face Cedar Mesa's with some nylon laces I made for them.

They support my wide very-high-arched feet very well and the Vibram sole is really aggressive and sticky. It's almost as sticky as my 5.10 Galileo's.

15. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

isnt there already a thread going like this?

16. magnus

magnus Empty Pockets

Deja vu. All over again.

17. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

My bad. Newbie mistake.

18. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

No prob! :)

Threads merged.
    :pp:

19. rik

rik Loaded Pockets

I was going to post "Am I the only Hi-Tec Magnum wearer", but it looks like Stutoffee (who I'm more and more convinced is a clone that I've never met) wears them too.

I'm currently wearing the Stealth Side-zips from last year. I bought them in Vegas and I can tell you that the rubber composition in the sole is different to the composition we have when they're made in England. I can tell this from the way the Vegas soles DON'T GRIP ICE AT ALL. This lead to hilarity in the car park at work where I skiied all the way down the 40 foot car park ramp, waving my arms like Wile E Coyote does when he's on rollerskates, and somehow not ending up on my :censored: at the bottom of the slope.

This is the boot that the TSA recommend. It has ceramic toecaps, not metal, so the metal detector arch at the airport doesn't go off. The first 3 months of last year, I flew between London Heathrow and Dusseldorf airports twice a week (once each way), for three months. After the first couple of trips, I learned the German for "ceramic toecaps" - I can't spell it now, but it's pronounced something like "keramishe toecappen". I figured out "toecaps" pretty quickly on my own, to be fair. This is what happened, every Friday afternoon:

I arrive at metal detector arch, having emptied everything that might set it off into his jacket. Puts jacket through X-ray machine, and is about to step forwards through the arch.
    Guard on the other side says something to me in German.
    I look confused.
    Guard point at boots.
    I say "Nein. Keramiche toecappen".
    Guard points rather more urgently at boots.
    I say "Nein. Keramiche toecappen. Kleine Stahle". (not steel)
    Guard shrugs in a way that indicates "well, it's not me that's going to get the rubber glove".
    I step through.
    Machine makes no sound.
    Guard looks at my feet, then at the machine. Then at my feet again. Then at the machine again.
    Guard stalks talking to the other guard in very rapid German, where most of the conversation is "aber... toecappen!" (but... toecaps!).
    I say "keramische toecappen" to them again, hoping that they don't ask me anything more as I'm having trouble remembering any more German.

Only once did they ask me to take my boots off and put them through the machine anyway (ahead of the whole archway discussion, so I didn't get to have it then). That time, there was a really alert guy on the X-Ray machine - he suddenly turns to me, having seen the boots and says "oh! ceramic toecaps! cool!". I was pretty surprised that he spoke English, surprised that he chose to speak English, and impressed that he can pick out what they're made from without prompting from the density colouring on the machine.

So, there we go. Magnum Stealth II Side-zip Composite Toe. For when you really want to confuse German metal-detector arch operators.

20. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

Something with XCR (gore-tex uppers with vibram soles)