1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite shoes or boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MCSOK9, May 30, 2006.

1. sween1911

sween1911 Loaded Pockets

For everyday non-dress wear, I have a pair of low-top Columbia hikers that I picked up at Sports Authority. My all time favorites for everyday use thus far have been EMS Acadias. Sadly discontinued, they were the most comfortable and versatile footwear I've ever had.

At work in the shirt and tie cube farm, I wear a pair of cheapo Nunn Bush plain black rubber sole dress shoes. After buying two pair of Bostonians and LOVING them, the third pair was CR*P! Soles on the previous shoes would not mark, the leather held up beautifully. The last pair, the sole was like a pencil eraser. Left marks on linoleum and wore down way too fast.

For bad weather, I put on the ole' standby Timberland boots. For anything out of the ordinary, I have a pair of Adidas GSG9 boots (they work well on ice too!).

2. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Just about everything I wear is made by Merrell. I have a pronation problem, and tend to walk on the inside of my feet a bit. The pronation problem can destroy a pair of Nike or New Balance sneakers within an hour of use. Merrells are awesome for people with pronation problems. I also have a pair of Asics running sneakers that handle the pronation quite well.

3. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

Red Wings, model E H.  Had problems with RW before, as have many people I've talked to, but gave these a try, and I could'nt be more pleased.

4. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I LOVE Merrell's!! They are so comfy, that I don't even wear sneakers any more.

5. sween1911

sween1911 Loaded Pockets

Nice! I was looking at Merrell's for my next pair of everyday shoes, but just couldn't find ones I liked. I can't stand the whole trendy shoe thing going on nowadays with stripes and loud colors and weird designs. I like plain lo-profile all-pretty-much-in-the-same-color-group footwear. No red and yellow stripes. No weird curves. Just me I guess. And I've never been one for the slip-on shoes without the laces. I know Merrell makes a few like that, but it just doesn't look right or feel right to me.

I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to shoes. All new the dress shoes these days have to be duck billed square toe with big buckles anymore? I am not now nor will I ever be concerned that anyone is after me lucky charms!

6. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

But they're magically delicious! :laugh: At least the marshmallows were. Hated the cereal itself.

I have been looking at the Merrell's, too, but if I spend that much money, I want to be able to wear the shoes with more than one color combo. And I'm not a fan of some of the colors they happen to choose. Sort of like kitchens of the past; really now, avocado green was never a good choice for appliances. So I'm sticking with my simple sneakers for now (see link above)--simple, go with most casual things, nothing trendy or cute. Might break down and get a pair in navy blue.

7. boatdriver9533

boatdriver9533 Empty Pockets

I wear Merell's generally.

Keen or Teva Sandals in warm weather.

Eccos are when i have to wear a Shirt and Tie Combo

Danner Acadias when I need a rugged boot (I have one pair that is 10 years old now, 3 sets of soles)

8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I love my Tevas too. During the summer months, they see a ton of use. And nothing looks cooler than a Teva-tan. :laugh:

9. carpdiem

carpdiem Empty Pockets

Amen for Teva sandals. Best brand I've found yet.

I normally wear Merrels as well. My last pair finally died and I decided to try out their lace-less shoes. They felt plenty comfortable at first, but a few days later after a three mile walk, they had rubbed the outside of my ankles awfully, and I simply couldn't wear them anymore, so I've been wearing my asics running shoes around as normal wear. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

10. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I had several pairs of Teva sandals. When the time came to get a new pair I couldn't find what I was lookinf for so I tried out a pair of Chaco sandals on the suggestion of the salesperson.

Awesome sandal if you like to play in water. It holds your foot like a vice, has a Vibram sole and only one strap to pull, no velcro. It will give interesting tan lines as well, but it's tough to beat the Teva shape on your foot! Check them out if you are in the sandal-buying frame of mind.
    http://www.chacousa.com/index.html

11. sween1911

sween1911 Loaded Pockets

RE: Sandals.

I am SO not a sandal person. For me and my not-fit-to-be-seen-by-the-light-of-day feet, sandals are for going from the blanket, down the beach, into the water, and back to the blanket. Or from the chair to the pool and back to the chair. I'm one of those guys in my 30's who looks like he has the feet of someone in their 90's. Just can't go there. I tried department store Teva-clones on the repeated urge of my girlfriend ONCE. (My mother tried to get me to wear sandals, Johnny . . . ONCE) After tugging and repositioning the velcro and the straps and my continual fear that someone would step on my toe, or I'd stub my toe, or that Hans and Karl would shoot glass all around me, I just decided that socks and substantial lace-up shoes were to be my lot in life.

12. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

my edc shoe's in order of use
    1. chaco zong -best shoe ever, vibram sole A+++ (where them year round)
    2. timberland annapolis -deck shoe that looks like a driving shoe and widens as the day goes on
    3. merrell summit -all leather backpacking boot vibram and tough as nails

13. In_Flux

In_Flux Loaded Pockets

Greasy Black 8 Hole Doc Martins (since the 80's) :bomb:

14. L Bow

L Bow Loaded Pockets

15. DSYCUTTER

DSYCUTTER Banned

I wear these boots, but in the Nonsteel toe version... they are very light yet still rugged. They have been the first pair of boots that last me more than a year on the job as an electrician.

I also have a pair of thoroughgood 8 inch laceups with a side zipper quick release. I purchased them at the last Firefighter's convention. They are steel-toed, lightweight.

16. watchman

watchman Empty Pockets

:D Tony Lamas and Nocona boots year round :-X

17. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

Tony Lama's? Yee Haw!!

18. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Used to have a pair of Tony Lamas and a pair of Nocona's (Let's Rodeo!).  Now I have Justin's ropers.  Love 'em.  Would love a pair of Lucchese's.  Chocolate oiled calf leather ropers.  Sigh.  Maybe after I sell the novel... :-X

19. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

I found these Timberland Canard shoes at Sportsman's Warehouse. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet (a leftover from agent orange) and for some reason these things work great for me around the property. They are so good I got a second pair to keep in reserve. If anyone has serious foot problems, support, etc., might be worth a try.

[​IMG]

20. sween1911

sween1911 Loaded Pockets

On my quest for boots a few years ago, I had it in my head that I wanted Doc's, but for the LIFE of me, I couldn't get a pair to fit me. It seemed that going one size was the difference between blood drainingly tight and blister lovin' loose. Stupid European sizing. :)

I eventually got a pair of plain-jane black Timberlands for boot usage.