1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite shoes or boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MCSOK9, May 30, 2006.

1. stronzza

stronzza Loaded Pockets

Running: Nike Air Pegasus or my New Balance 990

Beach: Flip flops or Teva

Office: Cole Haan or my 20 year old Ralph Lauren Kiltie Mocs

Casual: Dr Martens or Nike Air Max 360

This is a cool thread as I need some tips on a new boot...

2. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

A mix of B0rn's and Ecco's...I am a diehard Ecco fan, nothing more comfortable out there for dress/casual shoes in my opinion.

Recently picked up some Keen sandals at REI that I love!

3. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

:iagree:. I think next time I go fishing I will finally wear them wading. Been tryin to keep them like new, but they will be much safer than my open toe Teva's.

4. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

I've been working my Keen's pretty hard all summer - they stand up to it quite well - took them in the water a few times, and they fared quite well.

5. randyha

randyha Loaded Pockets

I echo the sentiment about Keens. One day I was mentioning to my wife how I hated open toe sandals that let in rocks and let be stub my toe. She said, "Get some Keens". I didn't know what they were and when I found out about them and all the styles they have I was blown away. They are great for light hiking, swimming, river-wading, or just kicking around in warm weather. There are a lot of other good brands also. I just fell in love with a solution that was near perfection for my needs.

6. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

:iagree: And to my amazement they fit my narrow feet comfortably. A have several pair and whenever I see them on sale or clearance at REI I grab them even if the style doesn't catch me initially. Comfort first ;).

7. GG_Blaisdell

GG_Blaisdell Loaded Pockets

Been trying to wear out these Chippewa 25290s for quite a while. Excellent fit and construction.

[​IMG]

8. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

I am hanging my head in shame, but I must be honest, I occasionally wear Crocs. As far as easy to slide on, uber-uber comfortable sit by the door "shoes" that can be put on quickly for grilling, doing a couple things outside, get 'em wet, get 'em dirty whatever. I got turned on to them early by some chef friends who had adopted them for a long time for wearing in the kitchen...I became a believer when I finally tried a pair. I realize they are much maligned and made fun of, but I see them as quite inexpensive, practical items.

Oh, and they're RED. :-X How embarrasing.

9. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Link?

10. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

Maddox's Opinion

Disclaimer: I too have owned a pair of Crocs; I just think it's a hilarious article.

Lately I've been wearing Lace-To-Toe Smoke Jumpers more than I would like, but they are still the best boots ever.

11. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

12. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Whooa! Those look like some nice serious siht kickers :strong:.

13. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Oh, those. My GF wears shoes similar to them. I would wear them around the house, yard or boating. Don't think I could go EDW though ;). Man, is there a color they don't come in :laugh:.

These look pretty cool Off Road

14. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

Yeah, they've saved my ankles a couple of times on fires... Definitely not grillin' shoes, unless you're the meat.

15. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Hey Rich -- Welcome to the forums!

What's your wildland firefighting agency? All the fireline folks here wear White's.

16. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Footwear is a category of equipment that I consider vital. I don't skimp on expense/quality, and I never just casually select a shoe (by how good it looks like most people do). When I'm in the market for a new pair of boots, I research very carefully, read reviews, try them on for hours, and know most of the "professional" tips and tricks for boot fitting. Footwear is critical equipment in a survival situation if you have to be mobile. Even a small break in your skin (stepping on a thorn) and subsequent contamination when you're hungry and physically taxed can lead to infection, sepsis, incapacitating illness and death. I recall this horrifying story of some explorer who stepped in dung, barefoot, in Africa and in a few days could actually see maggot-like larvae squirming under his toenails (!!). In pinch, I can make or improvise other clothing items if I need to, but I cannot make myself a good much less high-performance pair of hiking boots. Maybe rudimentary mocassins, or VC "Tevas" out of tire tread, at most. Therefore, I always list well-made, good-fitting footwear as one of my most valued possessions. They are not readily replaceable.

The Army does exhaustive research on footwear, and going with any of the current issue models of combat boots is never a bad choice. They are well-built and comfortable. The suede-out desert tan boot with panama sole, rolled top edge, and speed laces is a great long distance, hot-weather boot. I am from the highly polished black combat boot era, so I have a bias toward black tactical boots. From the literally hours that I spent on my feet every shift as a medic, my boot of choice became the Hi-Tec Magnum 6" Air Tacs. They weighed almost nothing, yet they supported my ankles and protected my feet, and had this large "air bubble" chamber in the heel which absorbed impact and made them soooooo comfortable. I bought the waterproof/breathable version of course, and I modified them with elastic speed laces (so I can just pull them on like a pair of socks), hidden compartments for a boot knife (down one side), and a mini-"escape" kit on the other (contains scalpel blade, handcuff key, lock shim, lock pick jiggler and tension bar). I loved these boots and I think these would be my first choice if the :censored:. About the only thing that I don't like about them is that they are manufactured in China. :shrug: But, it was just too good to pass up.

I log a lot of foot miles every year, so I take my choice of hiking boot very seriously also. Since the advent of "light" hikers, I've been flip flopping back in forth between heavy mountaineering boot designs (Merrell, Northface, and yes, even Timberlands before they went "gangsta") and the serious light hiker designs (like Vasque, Nike, Asolo). My current favourite is a "medium" hiker made by Northface, the Jasper Canyon GTX Hiking Boots. They have the light hiker look, but are supportive enough for backpacking. They are waterproof and breathable and have a Vibram sole with aggressive tread (suitable for scrambling). I have traveled the world in these and they have always performed flawlessly and, with care, have yet to show the slightest signs of wear (after 2 years). It's a high performance boot with a casual civilian look, so I love the way it allows me to blend in. These are often the boots that I'm most likely to be wearing.

Some honourable mentions include this very unique split-toe design working shoe that I found in Japan. In fact in Japan these are very common "workboots" worn by tradesmen and construction people that have to work at high angles, on roofs and in trees (and such). They are very strange looking to Westerners, who associate this split toed look to "Ninja" boots. They have a grippy rubber sole and are somewhat soft, but they give you a grabby feel when you are on uneven surfaces. Certain skilled craftsmen use them because it actually allows them to grab and hold things with their feet while they work with their hands. While I would not choose this boot for long walks, I definitely notice an advantage to wearing them for certain climbing, SWAT, rescue, stealthy operations. I do like the comfort and versatility of the Teva "river" sandals. They are sturdy, comfortable, totally amphibious, secure on the feet (unlike other sandals or flip flops), and adaptable/useful to various conditions especially when traveling (like from casual footwear, to shower shoes, to sandals for pool/beach). The older (original) models had a severe drawback as the porous rubber used to trap foot bacteria from sweat and would stink to high heaven after a month. Now, the Teva corporation has fixed that with this Micro-Ban Zinc technology imbedded in the rubber which inhibits the bacterial growth. Phew! Finally, I like Rockports, Eccos, and Merrells and similar type so-called "walking shoes", which are basically all-leather casual shoes with a cut, sole, and heel counters designed for comfortable walking and touring. They are low quarter shoes, but have waffle tread Vibram soles. I insist that mine are also waterproof/breathable also (not that it matters much). The great advantage to these are, they appear dressy enough to wear with anything from jeans up to slacks/sportcoat, so they do double duty when I travel. I walk out to the pyramids with them during the day, and I night, I wear them again when I dine at my hotel.

17. TheBladeArmory

TheBladeArmory Empty Pockets

I agree with Corporal... You can't skimp on good shoes/boots, it only comes back to bite you in the ..... well you get the idea

For boots... anyone try Redwings? I swear by them.. durable, and great padding...
    Shoes .....Cole Haan... just awesome
    Sneakers.... I like new balance.... good padding and can take a beating.

Just my .02

18. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

I like Bates Boots and North Face hiking boots.

Teva running shoes, etc.

19. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I had a set of Bates for duty use and except for insoles and laces, they lasted me for a little over 7yrs. I liked them so much I bought another to replace them.

20. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

Mephisto (dress shoes), New Balance (trail runners), Chaco (sandals), Russell (boots)....