1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite pens/pencil

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mlau, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Favorite pen: Parker Jotter Stainless Steel Gel

Favorite pencil: Parker Jotter Stainless Steel Mechanical Pencil

[​IMG]

I find them very comfortable and elegant looking. The Gel writes so smooth.

Honorable mention:
    Zebra 301, 701
    Fisher Space Pen Bullet Matte Black w/ Clip, Trekker Space Pen

2. apple

apple Empty Pockets

I like the Bic four color pen. I've carried them in my front pants pocket for years and I've never had one break on me. The colors help me separate notes by level of importance.

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I live on the cheaper end of the scale - I think I have found a happy balance for myself between cost and quality, enough to get a great and reliable pen, but not so much that I am afraid to pocket it and the risk of it being lost or walking away...

For my favourite pens: Parker SS Jotter - a classic really, simple good looks, decent pen to write with, and using an easily obtained and variable cartridge. Mine are either loaded with a Fisher refill (as a work and 'on the go' pen) or with a Parker gel (in the ones I use for more extended writing). Alongside that, the Fisher Bullet - uses the Fisher cartridge so reliable under less than ideal conditions, and a brilliantly small and tough pen stowed that is easy to pocket (something longer like the jotter is just a bit too long to carry in a normal pocket for me) and 'extends' for writing into a full sized pen, so a great balance of usability and portability.

4. sapro

sapro Empty Pockets

Unfortunately, a few years ago I latched on to some Papermate Synchro 7 mm mechanical pencils. They were cheap and fit perfectly into my gnarly fist. I bought them up greedily and shamelessly. Evidently, others shared my fixation and liberated me of my beauties over time. I say unfortunately because now I cannot find them anywhere. :brickwall:

5. Estrie

Estrie Empty Pockets

Coolio, my husband has that same set, he loves it. I gave it to him.
    My favorite pen is a vintage Maby Todd Blackbird fountain pen filled with Noodler's Ink. I keep it at the house, though, don't carry it around with me.
    For work, I use either a Lamy Fountain Pen or a Zebra fine point.
    I don't like mechanical pencils.

6. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

My current favorite mechanical pencil is the Pilot S20 .05mm. It has a wooden barrel that feels and looks great.

7. somber

somber Banned

Current Favorite Pencil: TUL .5mm Pencil from Office Max, the pencil itself is covered in a black, soft matte texture that feels superb in your hands, soft, but not at all squishy, yet still has grip to it. The pencil also has a larger, extend-able eraser and smooth overall functions. Great pencil.

Cheap Pens: Pilot G-2, .7mm, these pens are always getting stolen by coworkers (i'm a waiter) and customers, they're great cheap pens, comfortable, and smooth writing. Downsides: These pens will bleed out the ends if you move a lot with them in your pockets. Doesn't happen to all of them, maybe one out of ten, but it'll leave a deposit of ink on the ball of the pen, and eventually you'll have to toss the pen, as all functionality at that point is wasted (too much ink at the beginning, and only a trickle after the first stroke).

Favorite Pen: --- It's a search. I think I want a SureFire Pen though, and maybe that'll be my favorite.

8. madding

madding Empty Pockets

I go through phases of favorite pens, but they're generally pretty mundane...I'm an edc newb.

I like V5 Pilot Precise right now...but they bleed sometimes. I look forward to trying out some of the suggestions on this forum!

9. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

I already said this in another thread, but i only buy pilot precise v5 pens

10. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

black, fine, Fisher space pen refills live in all the pens I use/carry, Fisher or otherwise. As for pencils wood #2, never EDC one

11. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

For a pen, I carry my Zebra F-701 daily. For a pencil, I have yet to find anything that feels and works as well as a lead holder. I had to buy one for my drafting class last year, and it's awesome. I've used it ever since.

12. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Fountain pens: Lamy Safari and Waterman Phileas.

Ballpoint pens: Lamy Safari, Zebra, Fisher

Pencils: Pentel GraphGear 500, Staedtler Integrity 9505, Pentel 120 A3 DX

13. Darvis

Darvis Loaded Pockets

Favorite Pencil and all-around writer: A yellow aluminum Koh-I-Noor 8616 leadholder

Favorite Pen: Lamy Safari with the 1.1 nib (runner-up is my Binderized Pelikan M200 with a stub nib)

EDC in my Urban Wallet: A Lamy 5mm Scribble leadholder

Love those leadholders!

14. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

Since I have no experience with leadholders, I have to ask a question of the more knowledgeable folks. Can a leadholder be an everyday pencil, or is it just for drafting?

15. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

If I could find my old leadholder, I would be carrying it. I really like them... but you would probably need to carry a sharpener, too. I used to have a cool little round one shaped like a barrel and you put the point in (down) and spun it around...running the lead around a file-like cylinder inside. Kept the point nice and sharp. Gives you some flexibility on hardness and colors too...

16. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I don't see why not, they are great pencils! Of course, the lead will be more or less blunt most of the time, just like a regular wooden pencil. I don't know if all lead holders come with a sharpener, but most of them have one under the... er... tail cap? (Or whatever the push button on the non-writing end is called.) But then you have to remove and replace the cap all the time, so if you like it sharp, a separate sharpener will probably be more convenient. Personally, I hardly ever sharpen the leads on my lead holders, I just rotate the pen in my grip.

There are even some models that advance the lead like a mechanical pencil, when you push the button. In most, however, pushing the button simply releases the holder's hold on the lead so you can advance or retract it as much as you want.

Btw, that lead release function makes swapping between different hardness leads super easy and fast. Personally, I just stick to 4B, but like jenkinma said, there are plenty of different grades and colors available.

17. Darvis

Darvis Loaded Pockets

Heck NO they're not just for drafting!!!!

I use a leadholder daily, so yes, it's great for EDC. I use it for all business/note taking, lists, etc. basically for everything except signatures.

A few things I like about the 2mm format: (vs .05, .07, or even the fat 5mm)

1) 2MM Lead is much stronger, so bearing down will not typically snap it off
    2) The holder itself is the size of a standard pencil (I like the metal Koh-I-Noors the best)
    3) choose your hardness, anything from 4H on up to 4B. This basically helps the writing experience, form a softer buttery feel on up to a dry charcoal-ish feel
    4) Sure a sharpener for 2mm leads is best, but sandpaper, a nail file, or even the sidewalk can be used to re-sharpen it
    5) Lead can be found in any art supply store, or even the local office marts. Sure, the same as other leads, but we're talking 2mm here

Ok, so it all sound like the things I like may actually make the click and go mech pencils more desirable, but like fountain pens, I believe the best things require a bit of user interaction.

Basically agreeing with Valolammas and Jenkinma

If you like pencils, go lead holder and you'll never go back!

18. IceAuger

IceAuger Loaded Pockets

My current favorite is a Pilot Precise V5 RT.

I bought a Zebra 701 the same day after reading the hype but I write small and the tip isn't fine enough for my taste.

19. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Just wanted to add, as a side note, that lead holders are also great when you need to mount a cupboard of such on the wall. You see, if you are going to use screws larger than 2 mm, the lead will easily fit through the pre-drilled screw holes. Just take out 2-3 cm of lead, hold the cupboard in place and stick the lead through the screw holes to mark the places where you need to drill.

20. cas

cas Empty Pockets

I'm a fan of Muji 0.7 pens cheap. decent quality. helps having two stores nearby